Connect with us

News

Trump, wife in self-isolation after testing positive for COVID-19

Published

on

The United States President,
Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania, are in self-isolation after testing positive for coronavirus.
The US President confirmed on Twitter that he and the first lady had contracted COVID-19 and they are in quarantine.

He stated, “We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”

Mr Trump is expected to be in quarantine for two weeks while facing treatment for the disease, with his diagnosis coming just one month before the US election on 3 November, according to Sky News.

The President is 74 years old and his health records earlier this year showed he is categorised as obese, putting him at higher risk of serious complications from the virus.

Mr Trump’s physician Sean Conley said the President and first lady would remain at the White House during their period of isolation.

He said, “Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments.”
Writing on Twitter, Mrs Trump said, “As too many Americans have done this year, (the President) & I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19.

“We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements. Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.”

Trump on Thursday had said, ‘End of pandemic is in sight’

Mr Trump said he and his wife were self-isolating after Hope Hicks, one of his top aides, had contracted COVID-19.

Ms Hicks, who serves as a counsellor to the President, tested positive for the disease on Thursday, the day after she travelled with the President to a rally.

She is the closest aide to Mr Trump to test positive for coronavirus so far.

She had travelled with the President several times over the last week, including on presidential helicopter Marine One, and on Air Force One to Tuesday night’s first presidential debate.

Mr Trump had earlier appeared to blame soldiers and law enforcement officials for Ms Hicks contracting the virus.
He told Fox News, “It’s very, very hard when you are with people from the military or from law enforcement and they come over to you and they want to hug you and they want to kiss you.
“You get close and things happen.”
Several White House staff members have tested positive for the virus in recent months, including Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary Katie Miller, and one of the president’s personal valets.
Mr Pence tweeted that he and and his wife Karen “send our love and prayers to our dear friends President Donald Trump and Melania Trump”.

“We join millions across America praying for their full and swift recovery,” he wrote. “God bless you President Trump & our wonderful First Lady Melania.

Why the President’s age and physical condition put him at higher risk from COVID-19
According to his White House schedule, the president was due to host a phone call on Friday on “COVID-19 support to vulnerable seniors”.
His positive test come as the virus continues to spread at an alarming rate in the US, even as Mr Trump has tried to downplay the threat of the disease.

More than 200,000 people have died in the US after contracting COVID-19 and more than seven million people in the country have been infected with the disease.

But Mr Trump has continued to hold campaign rallies which have drawn thousands of supporters during the pandemic.

Mr Trump addressed a packed rally in Duluth, Minnesota, on Wednesday
His diagnosis now throws into question the nature of the rest of the campaign, including the remaining two presidential debates.
The next debate is scheduled for 15 October in Miami.
Two days before testing positive, during the first debate, Mr Trump belittled his Democratic challenger Joe Biden for frequently wearing masks and not having campaign rallies that matched his own in size.

He continued to shake hands with visitors despite public health officials warning against it and also initially resisted being tested. Mr Trump also refused to wear a mask in public under almost all circumstances.

Trump’s COVID-19 bombshell puts US election in uncharted territory
In a statement, White House spokesman, Judd Deere said, “The President takes the health and safety of himself and everyone who works in support of him and the American people very seriously.”

Trump is not the only major world leader known to have contracted COVID-19.
Prime Minister of Britain
Johnson tested positive for the virus in March before being admitted to hospital the following month, while Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro was diagnosed with the illness in July.
Prime Minister Johnson, who spent time in intensive care with COVID-19 in April, said, “My best wishes to President Trump and the First Lady. Hope they both have a speedy recovery from coronavirus.”

News

Former Ondo deputy governor agrees to return vehicles

Published

on

Former Ondo Deputy Governor Agboola Ajayi has finally agreed to return the two vehicles in his possession to the Ondo State Government.

The state government last week said it would embarrass Agboola if he failed to return the four vehicles.

But Agboola, who said he had only two vehicles, insisted they were part of his benefits.

The state government also petitioned the Ondo State Police Command to help recover the vehicles.

In a statement on Sunday, the former deputy governor said he was not the problem of Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu’s administration.

Agboola stated it was in the interest of everybody that Governor Akeredolu demonstrated good governance, transparent policy making and effective change.

He said it was unfortunate some members of the inner circle of Akeredolu have prioritised harassing him on a number of issues most especially the return of vehicles

Agboola said he hoped “these petty interactions would have ceased after the recent inauguration.

“To be clear – if the return of these two vehicles will make the administration focus more on the avalanche of pressing needs, challenges and predicaments facing the state most especially insecurity, the absence of governance and unpaid salaries across the entirety the Ondo public sector – then I’m ready to make the sacrifice and return the two vehicles which they so desperately need.

“I am not the problem of the present administration. I have moved on.”

Continue Reading

News

Pensioners demand payment of N35bn arrears

Published

on

Nigeria pensioners who retired from the electricity sector have urged President Muhammadu Buhari, to come to their aide in order to resolve the lingering issue of their owed N35billion pension arrears.

The pensioners under the aegis of Electricity Sector Retiree Welfare Association (ESREWA), led by its  President, Elder Benjamin Amako, asked President Buhari to save countless dying pensioners whose fate are tied to the delayed payment of their pension arrears.

Rising from its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting in Abuja, Amako said every Nigerian, including President Buhari, knows the pathetic situation of pensioners in the country.

Amako said: “First we thank God that Mr President returned from his medical trip healthier, stronger and successfully. The news of his return gave us pensioners so much joy because we know  he will not sit quiet and watch more pensioners lose their lives because of humanly inaction. So far, his administration has ensured that pensioners gets their rights and this arrears we are asking for is our right.

“Interestingly, President Buhari had already directed that this same arrears (N35billion) be paid to us, but for over five years ago he issued the directive, the relevant authorities who it is their responsibilities to ensure we get this arrears for our dying members seems to be working contrarily.

“So for the past five years, these arrears have always been part of the National Budget under Nigeria Electricity Liability Management Company (NELMCO) budget and accordingly transferred to Pension Transitional Arrangement Directorate (PTAD). But sadly, we have not been paid a dime even as I speak, for reasons that are totally and obviously human making.

“So we are pleading with President Buhari, the SGF, Minister of Finance, Chairman Senate Committee on Power, Accountant General of the Federation, PTAD and other relevant authorities to save our lives by paying us this money without further delay.”

Continue Reading

News

We’ll make South-East hot for governors if…, IPOB warns

Published

on

The Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, has raised the alarm that South East governors in collaboration with Ohanaeze Ndigbo and some “treacherous’ tradinonal rulers, and President Generals of some communities, are compiling names of suspected operatives of the Eastern Security Network, ESN as well as IPOB members and supporters for persecution.

The group stated that if the governors don’t rescind their plan, “IPOB will make the zone too hot for them.” IPOB in a statement by its Media and Publicity Secretary Emma Powerful, claimed that its intelligence unit uncovered “a secret file” containing the list of the suspected ESN and IPOB members.

The list according to the statement is to be handed over to the security agencies for torture and elimination. IPOB which said the idea was suggested to South East Leaders by the federal government to weaken ESN regretted that efforts of the security outfit for flush out killer herdsmen from the zone were being sabotaged by the selfish political elite. It noted that since the establishment of ESN, efforts to rid the zone of bandits and killer herdsmen had intensified, a development that has making the masterminds uncomfortable.

The statement read in part: “The South-Eastern Governors in collaboration with Traditional Rulers in the Zone and some PGs of communities are compiling names of suspected IPOB members in their respective communities to hand over to Nigeria security agencies for possible executions. “The arrangement has been perfected to help Nigeria Police and Army to quickly pick anybody suspected to be IPOB member and ESN operatives in the zone. “Our intelligence further revealed that they took this decision to launch this joint military operation to quench and permanently silence what they termed as IPOB and ESN menace in the zone. “IPOB intelligence unit gathered that these enemies within and without have perfected arrangements to abduct our people and put them incommunicado in the security dungeons in unknown locations. “It is unfortunate that our so called leaders could not see or observe how Fulani terrorist herdsmen are raping and murdering our mothers, wives and sisters in the farms across the Biafra territory but they see us as their problem.” IPOB denied any link with the unknown gunmen suspected to the behind the wave of bloody attacks against security formations in the zone and wondered why its members would be marked for elimination. “We have severally explained that ESN has nothing to do with the unknown gunmen responsible for the attacks in South East. The unknown gunmen are not ESN or IPOB.

We wonder why Government will continue to associate us with that group without investigations.” IPOB argued that a government that treats bandits and killer herdsmen with kid gloves cannot claim to be unaware of the said unknown gunmen.

The pro-Biafra movement warned South East Leaders to retrace their steps or brace up for the grave consequences of their action. “If South East Governors do not stop this plan against their people, IPOB will make the zone too hot for them. “We expect all tradinonal rulers and PGs in the South East communities to retrace their steps before it gets too late. The land will also rise against them if they allow this to happen! “Any IPOB member or ESN operative killed shall be avenged! The statement also advised the federal government to jettison any plans to persecute pro-Biafra groups as doing so would come with some price. “We advise Nigeria government and her partners in crime in the zone to desist from this evil agenda because it will backfire. We are aware of their secret file, but we are not going back until Biafra is finally achieved.”

Continue Reading

Trending