An Ikeja Special Offences Court, Lagos heard how seven men allegedly hacked and withdrew the sum of N900 million from First City Monument Bank (FCMB), belonging to several of its customers.
The Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) witness, an employee of FCMB, Olayinka Olaleye, while being led in evidence by the EFCC Lawyer, Benedict Chima Benneth, narrated to the court how the seven accused men allegedly committed the offences sometime in March 2018, in Lagos.
His narration: “We received a call from one of our customers, Eko Hotel, reporting an unauthorised debit of N300, 000 from their account.”
“We immediately went into our system and discovered that, the sum of N900 million had been withdrawn from various customers’ accounts. It was also discovered that these suspects’ accounts, received huge sums of money.”
“When we investigated further, we discovered that these suspects viewed the accounts of top customers like MTN, Multichoice, one account of Rivers State Government and Eko Hotel.”
“They gained unauthorised access into the system of FCMB, they conspired together and deleted information, and hacked into the password of some users in the bank to increase transaction limits on the corporate accounts, increase the transaction amount, and they increased the transaction frequencies and linked their ATM cards into these corporate accounts I earlier mentioned, thereby effecting online transfers from those corporate accounts into their own accounts.”
However, during cross-examination by the 1st and 2nd defence counsel, Lekan Egbereoungbe, when asked how the suspects gained unauthorised access, the bank worker who has been working with bank for six years said, “The bank has its application called FINACLE. It is hosted centrally upon which any person that wants to access it, is given a right in relation to his duty. Rights differ from person to person. There is what we call penetration; there is a way that our ‘SO Called Software’, can be penetrated”.
The commission alleged that the seven defendants did steal by authorised transfers and withdrawals from various FCMB points nationwide, the sum of N900 million, property of the owners of and various customers of FCMB, from their account to various accounts outside the bank via POS and ATM.
Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo adjourned the case to the 21st October, 2020 for continuation of the trial.
Don’t link your SIM card with another person’s NIN, NCC warns
The Nigerian Communications Commission has warned telecom consumers not allow their National Identification Number to be linked to another person’s Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card no matter how close the person is to them.
The commission gave the warning during its third Telecom Consumer Town Hall on Radio (TCTHR) programme on Human Rights Radio 101.1FM in Abuja.
The event was hosted on the platform: “NCC Digital Signature on Radio”, a statement by the NCC stated on Tuesday.
The NCC Digital Signature on Radio is the flagship radio programme of the commission created to educate the general public on the mandate of the commission and for sharing salient, consumer-centric and up-to-date information on how the NCC is delivering on this mandate.
Speaking during the radio programme, focused on: “The Benefits of NIN-SIM Integration”, NCC’s Director, Consumer Affairs Bureau, Efosa Idehen, said, “On no account should a telecom consumer, however, circumstanced, allow another person to register a SIM with their NIN.”
Idehen said compliance with the advice would protect the true owner of the NIN from liabilities or negative consequences arising from the use of another person’s SIM.
He said, “If the person whose SIM is linked to your line uses his own SIM to commit a crime or any form of atrocity, it is easy to be traced to you, and then you will be dealt with because the SIM is linked to your NIN.”
Lagos threatens to suspend NURTW, RTEAN over clashes
The Lagos State Government has threatened to suspend operations of transport unions in the Mile 2 area of the state should they continue to clash.
Three people reportedly died during a bloody clash last week on the Mile 2 and Amuwo Odofin axis between the Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria and the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Amuwo division.
Responding to the violence, the Lagos State Government on Tuesday brokered peace between the warring factions in Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos.
Special Adviser to the Governor on Transportation, Oluwatoyin Fayinka, stated that the state government would deal with the case after the police had concluded their investigation and presented the report of the crisis.
He noted that multiple levies on truckers by the unions around the axis had been the cause the dispute.
Fayinka warned the unions to beware of infiltrators as this would soil their reputation and lead to an abrupt end of the activities by the state government as the safety of lives and properties is first and sacrosanct.
Port congestion: Relocate overtime cargos, Customs urges NPA
The Nigeria Customs Service has advised the Nigerian Ports Authority to move all overtime cargos from the terminal to reduce congestion.
This advice was given bythe Apapa Area Command of the NCS, noting that the transfer of overtime cargos from the ports to the government warehouse in Ikorodu was the responsibility of the NPA.
Cargos are classified as overtime when they stay in the ports for 28 days without the importer or clearing agent coming up to clear them.
Managing Director of the NPA, Muhammed Bello-Koko, had recently said there were over 5,000 overtime containers across the nation’s seaports taking up space for new imports.
Bello- Koko, who spoke during an interactive session organized by the House of Representatives Committee on Customs, had asked the Service to auction the overtime containers to decongest the nation’s seaports.
The NCS Controller of Apapa, Yusuf Malanta, who spoke when he received executive members of the Shipping Correspondents Association of Nigeria in his office, said it required a lot in terms of logistics and financial commitment to move overtime cargos from the port to the government warehouse in Ikorodu.
According to him, there were currently about 500 overtime containers, including import and export, at the Apapa port, and that it would cost an average of N600,000 to move each of the containers from the port to Ikorodu – a cost which he said the command was not ready to bear.
The customs boss explained that there were also laid-down procedures for the disposal of overtime cargoes that must be followed before they are auctioned, to avoid litigation.
Lagos communities to experience 6 hours outage – EKEDC
Court jails three oil thieves in Rivers
Gunmen abduct 30 travellers in three vehicles from Niger
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
- metro7 days ago
Indian man jailed for killing wife using cobra
- Sports7 days ago
Balogun to critics: You can’t criticise me for not trying
- metro7 days ago
Pandora: Secret deal between Sambo Dasuki’s family, billionaire contractor exposed
- News4 days ago
Bandits release Emir of Bungudu after one month
- metro6 days ago
ISWAP leader, Modou Okocha injured, 5 soldiers killed in military convoy ambush
- Politics5 days ago
Osinbajo-for-President Campaign Posters Flood Ibadan
- News5 days ago
Bakare meets with Buhari, opposes clamour for power rotation
- News3 days ago
NAF denies paying bandits N20m to avert bombing Buhari’s plane