Connect with us

News

Polytechnic workers give FG 21-day ultimatum on IPPIS

Published

on

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics (SSANIP) has given the Federal Government 21 days to address all the problems associated with the implementation of the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS).

This is contained in a communiqué issued on Tuesday at the end of the union’s emergency meeting in Abuja and signed by its President, Phillip Ogunsipe.

The association said, “The council-in-session observed that there has been disjointed implementation of salary in the Polytechnic since Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS) commenced the payment of salaries for staff since February 2020.

It stated, “Some of the lingering issues associated with IPPIS include non-release of new minimum wage arrears, inconsistencies in the release of third party deductions, non-payment of COVID-19 hazard allowance for health workers, high draconian tax regime on consolidated salary and delay in the release of 2018 and 2019 promotion arrears.

“Against this backdrop, the council wishes to call on the relevant agencies of government to expedite actions toward resolving these highlighted challenges. Equally, the council wish to frankly state that failure of the IPPIS to address these highlighted challenges within 21 days from the date of this communiqué would leave the Union with no option than to review its stance on IPPIS.”

Commenting on school reopening of schools, the union said, “The council-in-session commends the efforts of the government at all levels, particularly the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) towards flattening COVID-19 curve in the country.

“The council wishes to appreciate the wisdom and decision of the government to reopen schools across the federation, having facilitated modalities toward safety protocol arrangements at the Institution level.”

“The council for the umpteenth time expressed its displeasure at the way and manner the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) has handled the Scheme of Service so far and condemned the decision of the Board to review the same scheme of service without due consultation with relevant stakeholders.”

It therefore stated, “On the strength of this, the council resolved that an attempt to foist a scheme of service document on SSANIP without our input is unacceptable and therefore would be an invitation to an atmosphere of industrial disharmony.

“The council wishes to specifically and frankly state that the failure of NBTE to address this issue within 21 days from the date of this communique would leave the Union with no other option than to declare industrial dispute.” It further observed that since the expiration of the tenure of the last governing councils for the federal polytechnics in May, 2020, the institutions have continued to function without the governing boards.

“In the understanding of the council, governing board occupies a very strategic position in the running of the polytechnic system. Therefore, the delay in the reconstitution of the governing councils is a challenge to the smooth running of the polytechnics. In view of the above, the council wishes to call on the Federal Government to expedite action on the re-constitution of governing councils for the federal polytechnics.”

The communiqué also stated, “The council-in-session expressed worry at the plethora of challenges faced by the State-owned Polytechnics and similar institutions across the country. Of particular concern were issues of haphazard and part-payment of workers’ salaries, non-implementation of the new minimum wage, non-domestication of the Contributory Pension Scheme, non-implementation of the 65 years retirement age in line with the relevant provisions of the Polytechnic Act (as amended), issue of migration to CONTISS 15, among others.”

News

Pensioners demand payment of N35bn arrears

Published

on

Nigeria pensioners who retired from the electricity sector have urged President Muhammadu Buhari, to come to their aide in order to resolve the lingering issue of their owed N35billion pension arrears.

The pensioners under the aegis of Electricity Sector Retiree Welfare Association (ESREWA), led by its  President, Elder Benjamin Amako, asked President Buhari to save countless dying pensioners whose fate are tied to the delayed payment of their pension arrears.

Rising from its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting in Abuja, Amako said every Nigerian, including President Buhari, knows the pathetic situation of pensioners in the country.

Amako said: “First we thank God that Mr President returned from his medical trip healthier, stronger and successfully. The news of his return gave us pensioners so much joy because we know  he will not sit quiet and watch more pensioners lose their lives because of humanly inaction. So far, his administration has ensured that pensioners gets their rights and this arrears we are asking for is our right.

“Interestingly, President Buhari had already directed that this same arrears (N35billion) be paid to us, but for over five years ago he issued the directive, the relevant authorities who it is their responsibilities to ensure we get this arrears for our dying members seems to be working contrarily.

“So for the past five years, these arrears have always been part of the National Budget under Nigeria Electricity Liability Management Company (NELMCO) budget and accordingly transferred to Pension Transitional Arrangement Directorate (PTAD). But sadly, we have not been paid a dime even as I speak, for reasons that are totally and obviously human making.

“So we are pleading with President Buhari, the SGF, Minister of Finance, Chairman Senate Committee on Power, Accountant General of the Federation, PTAD and other relevant authorities to save our lives by paying us this money without further delay.”

Continue Reading

News

We’ll make South-East hot for governors if…, IPOB warns

Published

on

The Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, has raised the alarm that South East governors in collaboration with Ohanaeze Ndigbo and some “treacherous’ tradinonal rulers, and President Generals of some communities, are compiling names of suspected operatives of the Eastern Security Network, ESN as well as IPOB members and supporters for persecution.

The group stated that if the governors don’t rescind their plan, “IPOB will make the zone too hot for them.” IPOB in a statement by its Media and Publicity Secretary Emma Powerful, claimed that its intelligence unit uncovered “a secret file” containing the list of the suspected ESN and IPOB members.

The list according to the statement is to be handed over to the security agencies for torture and elimination. IPOB which said the idea was suggested to South East Leaders by the federal government to weaken ESN regretted that efforts of the security outfit for flush out killer herdsmen from the zone were being sabotaged by the selfish political elite. It noted that since the establishment of ESN, efforts to rid the zone of bandits and killer herdsmen had intensified, a development that has making the masterminds uncomfortable.

The statement read in part: “The South-Eastern Governors in collaboration with Traditional Rulers in the Zone and some PGs of communities are compiling names of suspected IPOB members in their respective communities to hand over to Nigeria security agencies for possible executions. “The arrangement has been perfected to help Nigeria Police and Army to quickly pick anybody suspected to be IPOB member and ESN operatives in the zone. “Our intelligence further revealed that they took this decision to launch this joint military operation to quench and permanently silence what they termed as IPOB and ESN menace in the zone. “IPOB intelligence unit gathered that these enemies within and without have perfected arrangements to abduct our people and put them incommunicado in the security dungeons in unknown locations. “It is unfortunate that our so called leaders could not see or observe how Fulani terrorist herdsmen are raping and murdering our mothers, wives and sisters in the farms across the Biafra territory but they see us as their problem.” IPOB denied any link with the unknown gunmen suspected to the behind the wave of bloody attacks against security formations in the zone and wondered why its members would be marked for elimination. “We have severally explained that ESN has nothing to do with the unknown gunmen responsible for the attacks in South East. The unknown gunmen are not ESN or IPOB.

We wonder why Government will continue to associate us with that group without investigations.” IPOB argued that a government that treats bandits and killer herdsmen with kid gloves cannot claim to be unaware of the said unknown gunmen.

The pro-Biafra movement warned South East Leaders to retrace their steps or brace up for the grave consequences of their action. “If South East Governors do not stop this plan against their people, IPOB will make the zone too hot for them. “We expect all tradinonal rulers and PGs in the South East communities to retrace their steps before it gets too late. The land will also rise against them if they allow this to happen! “Any IPOB member or ESN operative killed shall be avenged! The statement also advised the federal government to jettison any plans to persecute pro-Biafra groups as doing so would come with some price. “We advise Nigeria government and her partners in crime in the zone to desist from this evil agenda because it will backfire. We are aware of their secret file, but we are not going back until Biafra is finally achieved.”

Continue Reading

News

4 soldiers, others killed as Boko Haram attacks Borno military base

Published

on

Suspected armed Boko Haram terrorists on Friday invaded a military base in Kamuya village of Biu Local Government Area of Borno State, leaving four soldiers and many terrorists feared dead, sources have said. Kamuya is about 30km drive from Buratai Town of former Chief of Army Staff, Rt Lt. General Yusuf Tukur Buratai and located south along Damaturu- Buni Yadi- Biu 120km highway.

Few years ago, a military base in Kamuya was dislodged by insurgents, only for the military to reestablish another base last year. The incident which started at about 6:35 pm last Thursday had disrupted the busy road as commuters and passengers plying the road had to take another route, as the road remained close uptil Saturday at the time of filing in this report.

A driver, Ali Isa, who left Biu on Friday with his passengers had to make a u-turn when they reached Buratai, and diverted back to Biu before taking through Gombe- Potiskum- Damaturu- Maiduguri 620km road. A reliable security information said, “armed men suspected to be Boko Haram, ISWAP stormed KAMUYA Community and have already dislodged the Special Forces (SF) location.

“The elements are still present in the community, while patrolling communities within BUNI GARI to prevent SF reinforcement. “SF have currently imposed movement restriction along Damaturu-Damboa-Biu Road. “Kamuya is a border town between  Biu LGA, Borno State and Gujba LGA of Yobe state. Staff to avoid the route. “Unfortunately, the entire SF base was razed down by the terrorists, even as four SF were reportedly killed and a number of them Missing In Action (MIA).” All efforts to get confirmation from the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Edet Okon proved abortive at press time.

Continue Reading

Trending