Connect with us

Black Tuesday

No death recorded in Lekki shootings —Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, says no death was recorded in Tuesday night attack in the Lekki tollgate area of Lagos State.
The governor made this known in a live broadcast on Wednesday morning, saying two critically wounded victims had been operated on and were in stable condition while others with “mild to moderate” cases are still receiving treatments at various hospitals in the area.
Sanwo-Olu, who admitted that soldiers opened fire on #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki tollgate area last night in a bid to disperse them, said he was engaging the leadership of the Nigerian Army on the development.
He noted that as a governor of the state, the control of military forces was not under his purview.
Sanwo-Olu said, “For clarity, it is imperative to explain that no sitting governor controls the rules of engagement of the military. I have, nonetheless, ordered an investigation into the rules of engagement adopted by men of the Nigerian Army that were deployed to the Lekki toll gate last night.
“This is with a view to take this up with higher commands of the Nigerian Army and to seek the intervention of Mr President in his capacity to as the Commander-In-Chief to unravel the sequence of events that happened yesterday (Tuesday) night.
“Fellow Lagosians, whilst we pray for the swift recovery of the injured, we have not recorded any fatality as against the widespread circulation on social media.”
“Myself and the leadership of the ministry of health have been going round. Indeed, we went round the hospitals last night. We went round mortuaries last night to see and to monitor for ourselves what has happened and to look and identified the injured protesters.
“We personally visited the hospitals that took in these patients. 10 patients at the General Hospital in Lagos, 11 patients were at the two locations of the Reddington Hospitals both in Lekki and Victoria Island,” he said, adding others sets were at various hospitals in the Lekki area.
“I want to expressly say that over the night, two of them had to go through surgery and I am happy to say that they are all stable and they are recovering very well. Quite a number of others are just mild to moderate states.
“Indeed, three of them had been discharged this morning and I am told that additional three to four will be discharged anytime from now.”

Black Tuesday

Lekki: Groups threaten fresh protest, give FG 15-day ultimatum

Published

on

A coalition of four civil society groups has given the Federal Government and the Army 15 days to fish out soldiers that shot peaceful protesters at Lekki tollgate in Lagos, to avert another protest.

The groups threaten to lead a mother of protests across the nation should they fail to grant the request within the given time.

The groups are Campaign for Democracy (CD), Human Rights, Liberty Access and Peace Defenders’ Foundation (HURIDE), Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) and Igbo Elders Forum (IEF)

They berated Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu for what they termed “double standard” of allegedly inviting soldiers, denying knowledge of who invited them and setting up panel to probe killings.

Suspected soldiers had reportedly opened fire on #EndSARS protesters gathered at the Lekki tollgate where they had been converging in Lagos campaigning against police brutality, injustice and bad governance.

The army initially denied being part of the incident. But it said on Tuesday that it got involved because the Lagos State Government invited it to enforce the state-imposed curfew and restore order.

Publicity Secretary of the CD and Chairman CD, South East Zone, Dede Uzor A.Uzor, said if the ultimatum expired without meeting the demand, it would be an invitation to “another mother of all protests that will shake the foundation of Nigeria.”

The groups condemned the Lagos government and the Army for pretending not to know the people behind the shooting.

They stated, “The protest was peaceful and very well organised until some suspected thugs sponsored by people with vested interest in government started attacking them and instigating before the soldiers of the Nigerian Army were drafted to open fire…

“This kind of shooting and killing of protesting civilians does not happen in a any democratic government, so we are calling on President Muhammadu Buhari and the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, to within 15 days, fish out Army officers that were responsible for the shooting of the protesters at Lekki tollgate, an open day murder of innocent Nigerians.

“If at the expiration of 15 days from now to November 1 the soldiers who carried out the despicable shooting are not shown to Nigerians, we will organise the mother of all protests that Nigerians have never seen in its history to show to the world that Nigeria is not a Banana republic and Nigerians are not happy that their citizens are being killed like rats.

“We want to condemn the despicable and day light murder of unarmed #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll gate Lagos, by the soldiers of the Nigerian Army on the invitation by the Lagos State Government.

“We must tell the world that Nigerians have rights, they are not ants and rats that could be killed without anybody questioning the killers. You cannot continue to kill people who are clamouring for rule of law and constitutionality, equity and justice that will benefit everybody on the country and just go free.”

Meanwhile, the Amnesty International, in its latest timeline, said its investigation confirmed that the army and police killed peaceful protesters in Lagos.

Its Country Director in Nigeria, Osai Ojigho, accused the government of attempting to cover up the shooting at the tollgate.

He said, “This timeline collates video and photograph footage to confirm that army vehicles left the Bonny Camp – a military base approximately a seven-minute drive from the Lekki Toll Gate at 18:29 local time on 20 October.

“This timeline collates video and photograph footage to confirm that army vehicles left the Bonny Camp – a military base approximately a seven-minute drive from the Lekki tollgate at 18:29 local time on 20 October.

“The vehicles are tracked to the Toll Gate. At around 18:45 the Nigerian military opened fire on the protesters.”

It also stated, “What happened at Lekki tollgate has all the traits of the Nigerian authorities’ pattern of a cover-up whenever their defence and security forces commit unlawful killings.

“The initial denial of the involvement of soldiers in the shooting was followed by the shameful denial of the loss of lives as a result of the military’s attack against the protests. Many people are still missing since the day of the incident, and credible evidence shows that the military prevented ambulances from reaching the severely injured in the aftermath.”

Continue Reading

Black Tuesday

Lekki tollgate generates its electricity – EKEDC

Published

on

The Eko Electricity Distribution Company has said the Lekki tollgate where some protesters were shot on Tuesday night independently generates its power supply.

It stated that the company could not have been responsible for the power cut that plunged the place into darkness shortly before the gunshots because it does not supply power to the tollgate.

The EKEDC, in a statement on Wednesday, denied allegations that it took power supply from the Admiralty Toll Plaza on Lekki-Epe expressway on Tuesday night.

According to the statement signed by the company’s General Manager, Corporate Communications, Mr Godwin Idemudia, Lagos State had contracted the supply of electricity to the plaza and the street lights to an Independent Power Plant.

Idemudia said, “We will like to respectfully and categorically state that EKEDC does not handle power supply to the Lekki Toll Gate and they independently generate their own power supply through IPPs.

“The rest of the Lekki area supplied by EKEDC had power supply from us throughout the night save for any areas where there were technical faults.”

He added, “We are extremely saddened by the turn of events yesterday (Tuesday) and we stand with all well-meaning Nigerians who want a better future for our dear nation.

Continue Reading

Black Tuesday

Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge tollgate set on fire

Published

on

Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge toll gate has been set on fire.
The fire was reportedly set by hoodlums as #EndSARS protests degenerated in Lagos.
A report by AutoJosh said all the cubicles of the tollgate were burnt, according to video clips made available online Tuesday night.
This followed the imposition of curfew and the drafting of the armed policemen and soldiers to the flashpoints of protests.
Although the governor rescheduled the effective time for the curfew to 9pm, armed soldiers and policemen stormed the Lekki Toll Plaza, on Ozumba Mbadiwe, just after dawn.
Protesters who gathered at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos were reportedly shot at by soldiers.
The shooting came on the back of the protesters refusing to leave the Lekki tollgate. This was after the State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, declared a 24-hour curfew in the state from 4pm on Tuesday.
Governor Sanwo-Olu has ordered a probe into the shooting.
The Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge connects the Phase 1 area, of Lekki with the Ikoyi axis of Lagos.
The bridge spans a length of 1.36 km.
The Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge. It is the first of its kind cable-stayed pylon bridge in Nigeria.
A cable-stayed bridge is a bridge in which the weight of the deck is supported by a number of cables running directly to one or more towers.
The then Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, commissioned the bridge on Democracy Day (29th of May 2013) as part of the commemoration of his sixth year administration in Lagos.
The bridge was officially opened to the public on June 1, 2013.

Continue Reading

Trending