Connect with us

Auto

Viral video of road marshals, tricycle rider face-off not fresh – FRSC

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps has clarified that a video currently being circulated on the internet showing an erring tricycle rider who had a face-off with an FRSC patrol team is not a fresh incident.

It said it was the same old encounter in which the tricycle rider had a face-off with the FRSC personnel after he was found destroying a patrol vehicle along Sapele road in Benin, Edo State.

The corps in a statement signed by its spokesman, Bisi Kazeem, said that the incident did not just happen as purportedly misrepresented by social media operators.

It said that the video was recorded in Benin, along Benin/Sapele road on Thursday, 16 July, 2020 and the staff involved had been adequately disciplined in accordance with FRSC Regulations on Maintenance of Discipline at the instance of the Corps Marshal, Dr Boboye Oyeyemi and the outcome of the trial made public on 2 August, 2020.

Part of the statement read, “You would recall that the corps marshal had ordered the constitution of a disciplinary panel immediately the case was reported, to conduct a holistic investigation and trial of the seven-man patrol team involved in the incident. And at the end of the trial, the entire team was awarded reduction in rank.

The corps marshal, while approving the recommendation of the panel, also directed the immediate redeployment of the affected staff from the command, it stated.

It said the corps marshal also warned FRSC personnel to deploy maximum level of civility in arresting offenders rather than taking laws into their hands, adding that the management of the corps would continue in its steadfastness towards ensuring that its personnel exhibited the highest level of civility, professionalism and ethical values while relating with the public.

“As an organisation that does not condone indiscipline, the corps had to punish its staff first, for being uncivil towards the tricycle rider so as to deter other staff and compel them to be tolerant, more professional and gentlemanly while handling traffic violators.

“This measures were carried out irrespective of the fact that the rider was apprehended driving against the traffic, went berserk at the point of arrest, stripped himself naked, and started throwing obstacles on both personnel and the patrol vehicle and at some point, even dragged the patrol operatives in uniform without anyone assaulting him.

“All these happened in an attack that saw him destroy the staff’s uniform and did not only damage the windscreen of the patrol car, but disfigure the bonnet and other body parts with mud and stone.

“Having stated the obvious, the corps marshal wishes to admonish the perpetrators of such media propaganda to desist from heating up the polity at this sensitive moment of our national development, and fashion out measures that could enhance peaceful coexistence, rather than ignite anger and violence.”

Auto

Niger driver kills three students, injures eight in Suleja

Published

on

Three SS1 students of the Government Secondary School Field Base Suleja, Niger State, have been killed by a vehicle that rammed into them on their way from school.
The students were trekking home on the Suleja-Kaduna road on Monday afternoon when the incident occurred.
Three of the students were killed on the spot while eight others sustained injury.
Names of the students that died were given as Abdulhafeez Musa, Kawiyat Sharafadeen and Sunday Paul.
The driver was also said to have been injured and was receiving treatment under police watch in Suleja.
Niger State Commissioner for Education, Hajiya Hannatu Salihu, described the incident as painful and tragic.
She said the students were returning from school to their parents when they met with their death in a preventable accident.
To prevent future occurrences, the commissioner stated the state government would construct speed breakers (bumps) on the roads to schools across the state.

Continue Reading

Auto

NADDC DG to open auto journalists capacity building workshop Thursday

Published

on

Director-General of the National Automotive Design and Development Council, Jelani Aliyu, will Thursday July 29 in Lagos declare open auto journalist training programme, which is centred around the ‘Migration to Electric Vehicles and Gas-powered Vehicles; Opportunities and Challenges for Nigeria’.
The one-day event is expected to feature technical sessions that will take the auto writers through the current global automotive industry issue of electric and gas as an alternative to petrol and diesel.
Also expected at training and capacity building programme as a guest of honour is Boboye Oyeyemi, corp marshal, Federal Roads Safety Corps (FRSC), according to the Nigeria Auto Journalists Association, the organisers of the event.
It listed in a statement stakeholders supporting the event as the NADDC, Toyota Nigeria Limited, Coscharis Motors, Weststar, CFAO Motors, Autochek Africa, OMAA, Jet Systems, Kojo Motors (Yutong) and the FRSC.
It stated that the one-day training programme would educate participants and indeed Nigerians on what the global shift to electric and gas as an alternative to petrol is all about and the opportunities and challenges for the country.
After the declaration of the programme open and presentations by the NADDC DG, who has been on the driver’s seat of Nigeria’s new thinking towards the use of electric and gas to move vehicles and other automobiles as a cheap alternative to fossil fuel, local auto assemblers of electric vehicles and gas-powered vehicles are expected to give technical presentations of their operations in the country.
Presentations will be made by Stallion Motors, assemblers of the Hyundai Kona electric vehicle in Lagos, OMAA Global, assemblers of the OMAA gas-powered range of buses at Igbo-Ukwu in Anambra State and Jet Systems Limited, assemblers of the JetMover range buses that runs on electric.
It would be recalled that Ford Motors South Africa (FMCSA) in collaboration with Coscharis Motors, its local franchisee, led sponsors of the first and second editions held in 2016 and 2017, while Nissan Motors South Africa (NMSA) followed the following year.

Continue Reading

Auto

Contractor begins 72-hour closure of Lagos-Ibadan Expressway section

Published

on

• FG dismisses three-month closure reports
By Dada Jackson

Julius Berger Nigeria Plc will today close a section of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, expected to last for 72 hours, the Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mr OluKayode Popoola, has said.
He said the closure around the Sagamu Interchange was to enable the contractor to carry out a major construction work – laying of a beam on the flyover.
According to him, there will be diversions of traffic for period (72 hours) from Makun Sagamu overpass (bridge).
He dismissed the earlier reports that the road would be closed for three months for the construction work.
He spoke on the issue to newsmen while on an inspection of the flyover, preparatory to the placing of the beam on the bridge.
Popoola advised motorists to adhere to traffic regulations and slow down as they approached the diversion points to avoid crashes and gridlock.
He said diversion would be for 400 metres before and another 400 metres after the diversion points.
The federal controller said that the ministry was working with all the relevant traffic regulatory agencies such as road safety, police and Ogun State traffic agency to manage traffic on that route.
He assured motorists and members of the public that the Federal Government and the contractor were working so hard to complete the work on expressway by next year.

Continue Reading

Trending