Connect with us

News

TVC says no plans to sack 550 workers

Published

on

TVC Communications has said it has no plans to sack any of its 550 workers as a result of the recent destruction caused to the TV station’s buildings and equipment by hoodlums that set the Lagos headquarters on fire.

The broadcast platform was touched by some miscreants last week and the company’s main studio and some vehicles on the compound were burnt.

The situation resulted in the television station going off-air for some days and it was reported that some of the employees would be laid off because of the incident.

It resumed broadcasting last weekend at another location, while efforts are being made to rebuild the studio.

Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, paid a visit to the Ikosi-Ketu head office of TVC Communications to see the extent of the damage done to the company.

It was reported that the TVC could sack some members of staff just three years after it fired about 145 persons from the organisation.

But the Chief Executive Officer of TVC Communications, Mr Andrew Hanlon, said in a statement that reports of the company firing some staff were not true.

According to him, all the 550 persons on the organisation’s payroll still have their jobs intact, noting that there are no plans to send anyone away because of the unfortunate incident.

“The CEO of TVC Communications, owners of TVC, TVC News, Max FM (Lagos and Abuja) and Adaba FM, Andrew Hanlon, has stated today (Friday) that the jobs of all its 550 employees are safe and secure.

“Mr Andrew Hanlon made the announcement on the foot of ‘misleading reports’ which suggested that 250 jobs were lost following an arson attack on its studious in Ikosi-Ketu, Lagos last week,” a part of the statement noted.

“The reference to 250 jobs related to those of our employees who had been physically displaced due to the fire at our premises. This does not mean those same employees had subsequently lost their jobs due to the fire.

“All of our staff remain with us and have merely now been relocated to temporary offices while we build a bigger and better television studio complex,” Hanlon was quoted as saying in the statement.

TVC is one of the national television stations in Nigeria. It is believed that the broadcast platform was attacked by thugs because of its link with the national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Mr Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

News

Kanu not in court, case adjourned till Oct 21

Published

on

Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, will remain in detention till October 21, 2021.
He was due to be in court on Monday but the Federal Government did not arraign him.
Kanu, who was reportedly arrested in Kenya last month, has been in custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).
Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday adjourned the case till October 21, 2021, over the failure of the Federal Government to arraign him.

Continue Reading

News

Insecurity made FG to retain DIGs, AIGs, says minister

Published

on

The Federal Government on Monday explained why it retained some Deputy Inspectors-General of Police and Assistant Inspectors-General of Police after the appointment of Usman Baba Alkali as Inspector-General of Police.
Minister of Police Affairs, Muhammad Maigari Dingyadi, said the high level of insecurity made the government to retain the senior police officers.
He stated this during the decoration of 24 newly promoted Commissioners of Police to AIGs.
No senior police officer with the rank of AIG or DIG went on compulsory leave when Baba was appointed IGP.
Dingyadi stressed that was the first time of such development in recent history of the Nigerian Police Force.
He said, “The government deliberately took this position to have many hands in the force. With this action, the Police Force has retained experienced professionals that would contribute towards sustaining the relative peace of the country.”
The minister added that the criteria for the appointment of the new AIGs were purely on merit, professional conduct, and individual performance, urging the newly appointed AIGs to redouble their efforts to curb insecurity.
He reiterated that President Muhammadu Buhari has directed Salaries and Wages Commission to come out with new salary structure.
He said, “To whom much is given, much is expected. Officers should re-double their effort in the fight against insecurity which had bedeviled the country today. A lot is expected of you in contributing your quota towards the sustainability of peace and unity in the country.”

Continue Reading

News

Four more Kaduna school students escape from bandits captivity

Published

on

Three students of Bethel Baptist High School, Kaduna, have escaped from their captors.
They escaped from the camp on Monday where they were kept since July 19, 2021.
An aunt to one of the students, who craved anonymity confirmed this on Monday.
According to her, the teenagers had spent five days roaming inside the forest before they finally met another herder who directed them out of the forest.
It was also gathered that one of the escaped students who could recall his father’s phone number borrowed a phone to call home before his father went to pick them up.
“The children were found around Kasuwar Magani on Sunday evening hours after 28 students of the school were released by the bandits. It was the school management that called my in-law to inform us,” she said.
Two other students had escaped from the camps before they were recovered by the police.

Continue Reading

Trending