Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has warned government as well as sponsors of #EndSARS protests not to throw the country into another round of prolonged war and insurgency, noting that Boko Haram started with youth protests.
He gave the warning on Friday while speaking with State House correspondents in Abuja after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa.
Zulum, whose state has been a battleground for activities of insurgents, said the Boko Haram crisis in the North East started with protests by youths against the use of motorcycle helmets in the state capital, Maiduguri.
He lamented that over one million people had been displaced as a result of such youth protests that snowballed into Boko Haram activities.
Zulum said, “On the issue of #EndSARS, I am calling on all Nigerians especially the youths to be very careful. The whole Boko Haram saga started as a result of the protests by some youths in Maiduguri against the use of helmet by motorcycle riders. You have seen the situation now. Over one million people have been displaced and the most affected population are the vulnerable, the youth.
“Some of those that led the protests have left Borno State; they are either staying in Abuja or Lagos or abroad. We have to be very careful.”
The governor said the #EndSARS protests in his state did not come with colossal damage as witnessed in Lagos State because the youths were advised to examine the situation and recall the past when the situation was very bad.
He said, “Now, there is emerging peace in Borno State and we don’t want anybody to disrupt the peace. The youths are with us, we are taking very good care of them, palliatives are being distributed to them as and when due.
“We are giving them some certain financial support and I think the best way every Nigerian should seek for their right is through legitimate means, otherwise we are not going anywhere. Peace is very important,” he added.
Terrorists will be crushed, Buhari tells residents in Kaduna
President Muhammadu Buhari has reassured residents of Kaduna of the resolve of the Nigerian Armed Forces under his watch to crush terrorists and other criminal elements operating in the state and other parts of the country.
The President stated this at a state banquet to commemorate his official visit to Kaduna State on Friday.
The President commended the support Kaduna State being given to security agencies especially through the establishment of a ministry dedicated to internal security.
He said, “I wish to assure the people and government of Kaduna State that the Federal Government is doing its utmost to contain and crush the terrorists that have been menacing our citizens and their property in parts of the country.
“On behalf of the Federal Government, I commend the efforts of the Kaduna State Government to respond to the demands of development.
“The relationship between our tiers of government represents an instance of successful collaboration between the national and state governments for progress, peace and prosperity.
“I urge Malam Nasir El-Rufai to push on and not relent in his efforts to accelerate change and progress in Kaduna State.”
Reviewing his programme in the State since he arrived on Wednesday night, Buhari said he was delighted to have commissioned projects undertaken by the State Government led by Malam Nasir El-Rufai.
- Travellers panic over Lagos-Ibadan highway kidnappings, Oyo, Ogun go after gunmen
- Eguavoen warns Tunisia are not pushover, predicts tough game
- Gov Ganduje vows to secure justice for deceased pupil, Hanifa
He said: “I have been most impressed by the consistent efforts of the Kaduna State Government to develop the state, to seek progress on so many fronts and to boldly confront challenges.
“Most of my visits to Kaduna State since 2015 have been in connection with clear strides of progress.
“I was here in 2017 to commission the hatchery and feed mill project of Olam, a multinational agribusiness company that has sited a major factory in Kaduna.
“In August 2019, I had the honour to commission Phase 2 of the Zaria Water Project and a road project.
“Therefore, I am not surprised that Malam Nasir El-Rufai and his team have undertaken such a major investment in infrastructure development.
“I am glad to say I have seen with my own eyes the remarkable changes across all the three Senatorial zones.”
Declaring that he looks forward to commissioning more and more projects in the State, the President lauded the Kaduna State Urban Renewal Programme “for its sheer audacity, breadth of imagination and quality of project execution.
“Projects under this programme have been described as an unprecedented investment in urban infrastructure in the state.
“When completed, these projects will define the city of Kaduna for the next 50 years.
“State Governments have direct responsibility for the quality of life of the residents of their state.
“Kaduna State is providing an example of how this can be done.”
Highlighting other achievements of the Kaduna State Government, the President said it was noteworthy that the hardwork of the present administration attracted $2.8 billion in foreign investment to the state since 2015.
He added: “This was further confirmed by Kaduna State being ranked as the Number One state for ease of doing business in the last published World Bank Doing Business Report for sub-nationals in Nigeria.
“We have also seen the El-Rufai government increase the internally generated revenue of the state by almost four times in five years, from N13 billion in 2015 to N50.7 billion in 2020.”
On health, the President recalled the strong response of Kaduna State in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria early in 2020, welcoming the completion of the 136-bed Infectious Disease Centre inaugurated on Thursday.
On education, the President noted that the State had also demonstrated commitment to equality of opportunity at the basic and senior secondary levels.
He said: “The policy of making education free and compulsory up to the completion of secondary school is a significant contribution to human capital development, and I commend it wholeheartedly.
- Toyin Lawani’s near-nude video angers fans
- Alabi named new police commissioner for Lagos
- Nigerians Demand Justice For Baby Hanifa Killed By School Proprietor
“I have been told that back in 2015, you inherited a school in the Rigasa area with reportedly over 20,000 pupils instead of the planned 1,500 pupils. We are impressed that Kaduna State Government has built more schools to accommodate these students.”
In his remarks, Governor El-Rufai called for further military action to stop the activities of terrorists in the State.
He said: “We have spent considerable sums to support federal security agencies in the State in order to promote the safety and wellbeing of our people.
“We are implementing a Safe City project, created a Vigilance Service to provide community level security services and established a Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs to improve coordination among security agencies and intelligence sharing.
“We believe that further military action and more boots on the ground are needed to stop the terrorists that menace our people. But as we tackle security, we must also move forward with the things that our resources and planning enable us to do to make life better for our people.”
On ongoing road projects in the State, the Governor informed the President that the Nnamdi Azikiwe Way (the old Western bye-Pass) is being reconstructed into a six-lane concrete highway by the Dangote Group under the President’s innovative Tax Credit scheme.
He, therefore, appealed to the President to direct the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing to end the two-year delay suffered by this project and give Dangote the go ahead to start the construction and completion of the earthworks before the onset of the rainy season.
He added that vital projects to reconstruct the Kaduna-Birnin Gwari Road up to the boundary with Niger State and Birnin Gwari-Dansadau Road, which passes through Katsina State and terminates in Zamfara State, are also stalled at the Federal Ministry of Works, despite the expressed readiness of the Dangote Group to work on them.
He said: “With the rapid progress in the construction of the Eastern Bye-Pass by the Federal Government, our government has completed plans to begin the construction of a new Western Bye-Pass to link with the Eastern Bye-Pass to create the Third Ring Road of Kaduna from the Abuja-Kaduna Expressway behind the Rigasa Train Station and the Kaduna International Airport and terminating at the Kaduna-Zaria highway.
“We need the commitment of the Federal Government to support this laudable project that will further expand economic opportunities for the people of Kaduna State and Nigeria at large.”
The Kaduna State Governor thanked the President for the working visit to Kaduna State as well as his unflinching support toward the development State.
Alabi named new police commissioner for Lagos
The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, has appointed Mr Abiodun Alabi as the new Commissioner of Police for Lagos State.
This followed the retirement of the former CP, Mr Hakeem Odumosu, who was recently promoted.
Alabi is the immediate past Commissioner of police for Bauchi State.
He was a Squadron commander for many years. Also DPO for Lion Building and Ikeja police stations.
PVCs: Tinubu apologises to Nigerians over misleading comment
The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu, has apologised for his misleading comment on the Permanent Voter’s Cards (PVCs).
The former Lagos State governor, had on Tuesday, told some of his supporters in Abuja to register ahead of the 2023 presidential election because their PVCs had expired.
While hosting the supporters in the nation’s capital, the APC stalwart urged them to “take one family member, two family members, knock on all doors and make sure that the new registration… Because they may not announce to you on time. The PVCs you have has expired. Yes!”
Many Nigerians took to the social media to lambast the presidential aspirant for misleading the general public.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) also countered the claim, warning Nigerians against heeding his advice.
But the Tinubu media outfit, in a statement, apologised to Nigerians over the comment, saying it was a mistake.
The statement read in part, “On Tuesday night in Abuja, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu granted audience to a delegation of women from Lagos and across the country attending the All Progressives Congress Women Conference.
“While charging the women to check the status of their voting cards and mobilise supporters to vote, he mistakenly used the word ‘expire’ instead of stating that the cards may have to be updated.
“Immediately upon being apprised of this, Asiwaju apologised for the incorrect statement and felt sorry for any confusion it may have caused.
“Asiwaju Tinubu also stressed that he appreciates the patriotic and necessary work of INEC and its personnel in assuring a free and fair electoral process for all Nigerians in all political parties”.
No need to revalidate 2011 PVCs – INEC
Every party candidate must declare bank assets, says INEC
CBN to begin e-invoice for imports, exports February 1
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Politics5 days ago
APC crisis deepens over convention as govs forum DG resigns
Business4 days ago
Lagos unveils N800 consolidated transport levy for commercial drivers
Politics6 days ago
2023 Presidency: Why I Believe I’ll Win – Tinubu
Sports6 days ago
Leeds beat West Ham 3-2 at London Stadium
News5 days ago
We were saints compared to today’s level of corruption — IBB
Entertainment6 days ago
Actress Bimpe Akintunde, Daughter Escape Bandits Attack
Politics6 days ago
You’re still living in the ancient days, Tinubu group replies Bode George
Opinion6 days ago
Why Tinubu must never be Nigeria’s president, by Festus Adedayo