Connect with us

News

#EndSARS: Fresh showdown looms as youths insist on Monday protests

Published

on

  • Use force on protesters – IGP
  • We’ll crush act of violence – Lagos Police
  • Heed police warning or face the law – LASG

Another orgy of violence may be unleash on the nation on Monday with many youths sympathetic to the #EndSARS ideology threatening to embark on fresh protests in Lagos and Abuja from Monday (November 09, 2020) over the what they consider as government’s clampdown on leaders of the movement.

They vowed to return to the streets for a second wave of the #EndSARS protest, adding that no amount of intimidation by the government or security agencies would stop their demonstration.

Some prominent members of the #EndSARS campaign had their bank accounts frozen by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Friday, just as some were said to have been stopped from travelling out of the country.

As a teaser, the youth representatives on the Lagos panel investigating alleged police brutality and recent shooting of Lekki protesters boycotted the panel’s proceedings on Saturday, an action that made the team to suspending the day’s sitting.

A Federal High Court judge had ordered the bank accounts of some youth leaders to be frozen for a period of 90 days, pending the outcome of investigation and inquiry currently being conducted by the apex bank.

Many of those affected were said to be prominent during last month’s nationwide protest, which attracted global attention.

An activist, Aisha Yesufu, said, “The CBN did not block the account of the numerous SARS officers that were alleged to have extorted money from the citizens at gunpoint, forcing them to transfer money to their accounts but it blocked the account of those who protested the extortion and killings by SARS officers.”

The Lagos State Police Command has vowed to resist any form of planned protest or gathering in the state, warning that the government and people were still nurturing the wounds of the recent Endsars violence.

The state police command has the full backing of the Inspector General of Police, Adamu Mohammed, who has ordered the police across the country to use force to quell any form of violence or attack by any group or individuals.

Lagos Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, said in a statement, “The command wishes to inform the general public that based on intelligence gathering from relevant intelligence agencies, some unpatrioric elements or group of people have concluded plans to orchestrate another set of violence in the state in furtherance to the recent Endsars violence, which has been analysed as dangerous and counterproductive.

“Premised on this, the command, therefore, wishes to warn any individuals, group of students or any groups who might want to stage any form of protest, either ‘peaceful’ or violent, or gathering whatsoever, to desist as the police and other security agencies will collectively and tactically resist any security threats or threats to public peace which might be triggered by protest or protesters in Lagos State.

“The police command, emphatically, warns parents and guardians to discourage their children or wards from embarking on any protest in the state as the possibility of hijacking it by armed hoodlums to cause grief and pains like the recent past is evident.”

Lagos State Government asked #EndSARS protesters to heed the warning of the police or be ready to face the consequences of disobedience.

In a statement on Friday, the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said, “Any person or group of persons who plans to fuel any crisis in Lagos should drop such thoughts or be ready to face the law.”

He urged anyone who had grievance against the police to approach the judicial panel of inquiry.

According to him, the state is “battling to recover from the shock of the carnage unleashed by hoodlums who hid under the #EndSARS protests.”

“Even as we are still counting our painful losses in lives and property, there are hints of a new protest. The police have warned that no protest will be tolerated,” he said.

Omotoso also said, “Any protest under any guise will be disrespectful to the memory of those who died in the violence and unfair to ordinary Lagosians, who have remained peaceful, despite the hardship that the original protests sparked.

“It is clear that the original protests, despite their good intentions, have caused more havoc than they were planned to resolve.

“The government hereby appeals to our patriotic youths to shelve any plan for a protest and join the practical efforts to find a solution to the problems that have been thrown up by the actions taken in recent weeks.

“Anybody who has any grievance against the disbanded SARS should approach the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution to make his case.”

News

‘Buhari-Must-Go’ protesters block Abuja airport road

Published

on

Some anti-Buhari protesters on Monday morning blocked a section of the Umaru Yar’Adua Way, Abuja, as they set fire on the road, preventing free flow of traffic.

This caused commotion along the road leading to the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

The protesters chanted ‘Buhari Must Go’ and carried placards with different inscriptions showing their disdain for the Muhammadu Buhari administration.

Motorists were forced to slow down to avoid running into the bonfire which was set up right in the middle of the road.

The last time a similar protest held in the nation’s capital was on June 12 and many of the protesters were arrested.

Convener of #RevolutionNow Protest, Omoyele Sowore, shared videos and pictures of the protesters on social media.

Continue Reading

News

Kidnappers release pictures of abducted Kebbi teachers, students

Published

on

 

Kidnappers of abducted teachers and students of Federal Government College, Birin Yauri, Kebbi State, have released pict

An unspecified number of students and four staff were kidnapped last Thursday when the gunmen invaded the college and reportedly overpowered security operatives at the school.

The military authorities later said some of the victims were rescued after a gun battle with the attackers.

Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State has assured the parents and family members of the victims of government’s efforts to secure their release.

 

 

Continue Reading

News

We’re still probing Tinubu, says EFCC chairman

Published

on

Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Abdulrasheed Bawa, has said a former governor of Lagos State and national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is under investigation.

He stated this in an interview published by ThisDay, adding that investigation does not end in a day.

He said, “You asked me a question earlier about arresting people before investigation and now you are saying why didn’t we arrest Tinubu? Why didn’t you just say ‘arrest him?’

“Investigation is ongoing. When you are investigating matters like this, they don’t end in a day. Thousands of investigations are going on on a daily basis.

“You understand? You know you are from the media; after, you will say we are doing media trial.”

Bawa was reported to have asked for Tinubu’s assets declaration form when he was the head of Lagos Zonal Office.

Meanwhile, a former Managing Director of Alpha Beta LLP, Mr Dapo Apara, has filed a suit demanding a Lagos State High Court to stop Tinubu from “controlling the finances of Alpha Beta.”

The suit was filed on Wednesday by Apara’s lawyer, Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (SAN).

Continue Reading

Trending