The Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, has said the Oyo State Security Network Agency, co-denamed Amotekun Corps is the state’s local response to crime and criminality and that it ready to crush all criminals operating in the area.
He also stated that the South-West was ready to combat crime through the security agency, which was initially launched in January 2020.
A statement by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Taiwo Adisa, quoted Makinde as saying this at the passing-out parade of the 1,500 pioneer Amotekun corps, held at the Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo.
He added the six states of the region would fight common enemies and those elements that might attempt to cause commotion and perpetuate crime in the region.
He highlighted the efforts of his government in improving the security sector by supporting the federal security agencies in the state with the provision of patrol vehicles, communication gadgets and other logistic support.
He added that the approval and establishment of a Police Mobile Force 72 Squadron at Ago-Are, Oke Ogun area of the state by the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, as well as provision of vehicles and logistic support for the squadron was another step taken by his administration to boost security, adding that the government has equally requested for another Police Mobile Force base in Oyo town.
Makinde, who noted that state policing remained the way forward to tackle insecurity in every nook and cranny of the country, said the Amotekun initiative by the South-West was the next best thing in the absence of state police.
According to him, it will help to fight crimes in the nooks and crannies of the society.
He, however, expressed confidence that advocates of state police would one day get enough support at the national level to achieve the constitutional review.
He urged the corps to exhibit the highest level of professionalism in the discharge of their duties, adding that none of them must be seen harassing individuals.
The governor also stated that the agency would also be involved in routine day and night patrols on major roads and remote areas, as its members drafted to all the 351 wards in Oyo State.
He also told the gathering that the 2021 budget of the state had been approved by the state’s executive council, adding that he would present it to members of the state House of Assembly next week.
The governor said, “As I said during the official launch of this outfit in January 2020, our regional integration, through Amotekun, should be seen in one light. We are coming together to fight a common enemy. That enemy is not Nigeria; the enemies are the elements among us and their affiliates, who are determined to cause commotion within our states’ borders and threaten our peaceful coexistence.
“Never again will invaders come into Oyo State without a local response from us. Amotekun is our local response.”
Lai Mohammed insists no proof protesters were killed at Lekki tollgate
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has said there is no proof that any protester was killed at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos in October 2020 during the #EndSARS protest.
Some soldiers on October 20, 2020 were said to have opened fire on protesters in an attempt to disperse them allegedly leading to the death of many.
Mohammed, who addressed a press conference in Abuja on Wednesday, described the 2020 event at the tollgate as a “phantom massacre”.
“Today marks the first anniversary of the phantom massacre at Lekki tollgate in Lagos, which was the culmination of an otherwise peaceful protest that was later hijacked by hoodlums,” the minister said.
The minister also said, “At earlier press conferences, I had called the reported massacre at the tollgate the first massacre in the world without blood or bodies.
“One year later, and despite ample opportunities for the families of those allegedly killed and those alleging a massacre to present evidence, there has been none: No bodies, no families, no convincing evidence, nothing. Where are the families of those who were reportedly killed at the toll gate? Did they show up at the Judicial Panel of Inquiry? If not, why?”
Adebanjo leads Afenifere chieftains on visit to Tinubu
Chief Ayo Adebanjo, leader of Pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, has led other chieftains of the body on a visit to national leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, at his home in Lagos.
Others on the visit are Chief Supo Sonibare, Oba Olaitan Oladipo, and retired Assistant Inspector General of Police, Tunji Alapini.
The visit came a few days after Tinubu returned from a medical trip to the United Kingdom where he underwent knee surgery.
The Punch reported that the last time Tinubu and Adebanjo met was in April when the former Afenifere spokesman, Yinka Odumakin, died.
Prior to the visit, Adebanjo had told PUNCH Online interview programme, The Roundtable, that the reason why Tinubu had been silent on the herdsmen crisis was that he felt President Muhammadu Buhari would make him his successor.
In another interview with SUNDAY PUNCH, Adebanjo stated that Buhari won’t hand over power to Tinubu, adding that they were both deceiving each other.
He said, “I have said it openly before and I would say it again that Buhari is deceiving Tinubu and Tinubu is deceiving Buhari. I’m an old man and I’m a funeral candidate already, so quote me. If Tinubu contests the primary in APC today, he will fail.”
Adebanjo then advised Tinubu and other APC members from the South-West to leave the party in the interest of Yorubaland.
He said, “I have always told them, from Tinubu downwards, that it’s better they save themselves speedily. I’m talking to all of them, that in the interest of Yorubaland and the country, they should get out of the carcass they call APC. I made a public pronouncement that they were a conglomeration of incompatibles. It’s on record. I said it then and I’m still saying it now; if they don’t save themselves early enough, then they are ready for a disaster.”
Kaduna gives civil servants 12-day ultimatum on COVID vaccine
The Kaduna State Government has given all civil servants in the state 12 days to receive the COVID-19 vaccine or be barred from office.
The ultimatum was announced in a statement issued on Tuesday by Muyiwa Adekeye, spokesman for the state governor, Nasir el-Rufai.
According to him, all civil servants are expected to be vaccinated by October 31, after which they would be denied entry into government offices if they failed to comply with the directive.
“The Kaduna State Government will from 31st October 2021 require compliance with COVID-19 protocols, especially facemasks and vaccination, for access to its offices,” the statement said.
“The Ministry of Health has since commenced the vaccination of all civil servants, and this is expected to be completed by 31st October 2021. All civil servants are required to be vaccinated by that date.
“Visitors to government offices will need to present their vaccination cards. Given the limited supply of vaccines that are currently available, visitors that have not yet been vaccinated will, in the interim, be permitted entry upon presentation of evidence of registration with the state Ministry of Health for the purpose of vaccination, while wearing their facemasks.”
Adekeye said the decision was taken following a review by the Kaduna COVID-19 task force, and urged residents to ensure strict adherence to the protocol for preventing the spread of infections.
According to the statement, Amina Mohammed-Baloni, Kaduna commissioner for health, has also asked residents to register at the nearest primary health centres for vaccination “so that the relevant authorities can easily contact them as more Covid-19 vaccines become available”.
The development comes weeks after Edo began its ‘no vaccination, no entry’ campaign, which bars unvaccinated civil servants from entering government offices.
Don’t link your SIM card with another person’s NIN, NCC warns
Lai Mohammed insists no proof protesters were killed at Lekki tollgate
Updated: #EndSARS memorial protests rock Lagos, Abuja, two arrested at Lekki tollgate
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
- News7 days ago
Sunday Igboho suffers organ failure, rushed to hospital – Lawyer
- metro6 days ago
Indian man jailed for killing wife using cobra
- Sports6 days ago
Balogun to critics: You can’t criticise me for not trying
- Politics7 days ago
Anambra deputy governor, Okeke, dumps APGA for APC
- metro6 days ago
Pandora: Secret deal between Sambo Dasuki’s family, billionaire contractor exposed
- News3 days ago
Bandits release Emir of Bungudu after one month
- Politics4 days ago
Osinbajo-for-President Campaign Posters Flood Ibadan
- metro5 days ago
ISWAP leader, Modou Okocha injured, 5 soldiers killed in military convoy ambush