Connect with us

Sports

Maradona: Police raid doctor’s home, begin death probe

Published

on

Police in Argentina have launched an investigation into Diego Maradona’s death. Less than four days after the football legend suffered a fatal heart attack, officers raided the home and private clinic of one of his doctors. They are working to establish whether the sporting great was treated with negligence prior to his death at the age of 60.

His daughters have reportedly demanded to know what medication their father was taking. On Sunday, several officers were seen stationed outside the house of neurologist Dr Leopoldo Luque in Buenos Aires.

Afterwards, Dr Luque told reporters that he had given investigators all records of his treatment of the footballer, as well as computers, hard drives and mobile phones.

Growing tearful, he defended his treatment of the troubled star, who died on Wednesday.

“I know what I did. I know how I did it…. I am absolutely sure that I did the best for Diego, the best I could,” he said.

The doctor added that he was not Maradona’s chief physician, but part of a medical team.

The 60-year-old, one of the greatest footballers of all time, was buried on Thursday in a private ceremony attended by just two dozen people. It followed a public vigil at the country’s presidential palace where tens of thousands of weeping fans lined up to file past his coffin. Maradona died in a house outside the Argentinian capital where he had been recovering from a brain operation on November 3.

He had suffered from a long series of medical issues, some related to overindulgence in drugs and alcohol.

He was reportedly near death in 2000 and 2004. Dr Luque described the former sportsman as a difficult patient, revealing that he had kicked the doctor out of his house several times.

“Diego did what he wanted,” Dr Luque said. “Diego needed help. There was no way of getting through to him.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

Balogun to critics: You can’t criticise me for not trying

Published

on

Leon Balogun

Super Eagles defender Leon Balogun has defended his commitment to the Nigeria national side after recent criticisms directed at him over his performances.

The Rangers Glasgow’s defender has come under scathing criticisms following the country’s defeat to Central African Republic during their 2022 World Cup qualifier at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos last Thursday.

The centre-back was held responsible for the late goal conceded against the minnows following a mix-up with his defensive partner William Troost-Ekong, allowing CAR forward Karl Namnganda through on goal before slotting past Francis Uzoho, in goal for the Eagles.

Read Also: https://newstrends.ng/2021/10/14/efcc-arrests-22-suspected-fraudsters-in-oyo-recovers-cars/

However, the 33-year-old redeemed himself by scoring against CAR in the second game of the double-header clash in Douala, Cameroon – his first strike for Nigeria since he made his debut in 2014.

In an interview with ESPN, the centre-back said he had always given 100 per cent for Nigeria.

You’ve seen me play for a few years now. And you know that when I step onto the pitch I always give 100 per cent and I am always passionate,” Balogun said.

“Whether I am having a good performance or a bad performance, you can never actually criticise me for not trying. That is what I always give, that is the least I can do.”

Punch

Continue Reading

Sports

2022 WCQ: Super Eagles Beat CAR In Douala To Maintain Group C Lead

Published

on

Nigeria’ Super Eagles defeated their Central African Republic counterparts 2-0 in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 qualifier decided at the Stade Japoma de Douala in Cameroon.

First half goals from Leon Balogun and Victor Osimhen ensure that the three-times African champions picked maximum three points away after losing at home to CAR in the first leg match last Thursday in Lagos.

The result sees the Super Eagles five points ahead of CAR and Cape Verde, while Liberia are bottom of the log with just the three points after three matchdays.

Leadership

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Lagos SWAN berates Iheanacho over unruly behaviour

Published

on

The Sports Writers’ Association of Nigeria (SWAN), Lagos Chapter, on Saturday berated Super Eagles’ striker, Kelechi Iheanacho over his disrespect to a journalist, Yinka Oyedele of Brila FM, during an encounter in Lagos.

Iheanacho’s attitude, according to a statement by Lagos SWAN’s Chairman, Debo Oshundun, was unsportsmanlike.

“The attention of SWAN Lagos Chapter has been drawn to Super Eagles’ striker Kelechi Iheanacho’s disrespect to one of our members, Yinka Oyedele of Brila FM.

“Oyedele, according to our findings, was arrogantly shoved off by the Leicester City forward while the reporter was making an attempt to interview him after the team’s training on Tuesday.

“Lagos SWAN frowns at this embarrassing act and disrespect to a journalist.

“Oyedele, a professional in the practice, doesn’t deserve such ill treatment from Iheanacho or any national team player,” he said.

Oshundun added “We urge the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to as a matter of urgency call the player to order.

“It is also not out place for the football house to educate the players on etIquette and relationship with the men of the fourth estate of the realm and fans alike.

“Such measures if put in place would prevent future occurrence.

“The Super Eagles take a prime place in every Nigerian journalists’ hearts and treatment such as this can only discourage reporters from doing more and giving their best for the course of our darling national team.

“We wish the senior national team and Iheanacho the best of luck in their reverse 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying fixture against Central Africa Republic on Sunday,” he said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending