Connect with us

Health

UI clinic shut after patient tests positive for COVID-19

Published

on

The University of Ibadan has closed its health cenre, Jaja Clinic, after one patient tested positive for the coronavirus.

The institution, which stated this in a statement on Tuesday, added the clinic would remain shut for one week.

It stated that the patient, whose name was not disclosed, had first visited the clinic on December 11, but was admitted overnight between Sunday and Monday.

It said the Oyo State emergency operations centre (EOC) had been notified, and the premises decontaminated.

“The university community is hereby informed that a client who was first seen on 10 December and later admitted in the University Health Centre overnight of 13/14 December tested positive to COVID-19,” the statement read.

“The Oyo State Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) was notified, inspected the premises, and recommended among other things the following: Immediate disinfection/decontamination of the premises which has been done; follow-up of all those who had contact with the client by the EOC; closure of clinic from 4pm, 15 December 2020 for a seven-day period.

“Opening will be subject to review by the Oyo State EOC. Beyond closure, the EOC is working with the UHS to ensure that all processes for safe work are put in place.

“NHIS enrollees may access care at Eleyele Police clinic during the closure. Meanwhile, the COVID19 positive person is being attended to and there should be no panic.”

Health

86% of COVID-19 infections in Africa go unnoticed – WHO

Published

on

About 86 per cent of all coronavirus infections in Africa go unnoticed, the World Health Organization reported on Thursday.

The WHO puts the number of all infections on the continent at 59 million, over seven times more than the eight million reported cases.

It said: “The high number of unreported cases can be explained by the fact that health facilities have so far focused on testing people. People with symptoms of the disease has led to extensive under-reporting.”

Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa, said with limited testing, the continent is flying blind in far too many communities.

“By comparison, the United States, with about a third of the population, had conducted more than 550 million tests.

“While Britain, with less than 10 per cent of Africa’s population, had conducted more than 280 million tests.”

Read Also: https://newstrends.ng/2021/10/15/blasphemy-drama-as-abduljabar-tackles-his-lawyers-in-court/

Read Also: https://newstrends.ng/2021/10/15/be-like-jakande-nigerians-slam-sanwo-olu-over-costly-lagos-estates/

Read Also: https://newstrends.ng/2021/10/15/former-us-president-bill-clinton-hospitalised-for-infection/

In total, more than 8.4 million coronavirus cases have been recorded in Africa, including 214,000 deaths.

According to WHO data, less than half of the African countries that received vaccines have fully vaccinated an average of about two per cent of their population.

dpa/NAN. “By comparison, the United States, with about a third of the population, had conducted more than 550 million tests.

“While Britain, with less than 10 per cent of Africa’s population, had conducted more than 280 million tests.”

In total, more than 8.4 million coronavirus cases have been recorded in Africa, including 214,000 deaths.

According to WHO data, less than half of the African countries that received vaccines have fully vaccinated an average of about two per cent of their population.

dpa/NAN.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

BBNaija winner, Whitemoney hospitalized in Lagos

Published

on

Winner of the 2021 Big Brother Naija, BBNaija, reality TV show, WhiteMoney, has been hospitalized.

 

WhiteMoney was hospitalized on Tuesday morning.

 

Although the cause of his illness was not revealed, he was sighted on drips.

 

Alongside an Instagram video of the 29-year old receiving treatment was a caption that read, ”Good morning, break in transmission. We will be back shortly.”

BBNaija finalists have been going for media rounds since their exit from the house. His tight schedule may be responsible for his breakdown.

 

WhiteMoney emerged winner of the ‘Shine ya Eye edition’ ahead of Liquorose, Pere, Cross, Angel and Emmanuel on the final day of the show.

 

He walked away with N30million in cash and prizes adding up to N60million.

Continue Reading

Health

FG stopped residency payment after strike suspension – NARD

Published

on

FRESH crisis may be brewing between the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors and the Federal Government as the association accused the government of already deviating from the understanding reached before it suspended its strike last week.

This was as the association also accused the government of causing confusion among its members and suspending the payment of the Medical Residency Training Funds

The National President of NARD, Dr Dare Ishaya, disclosed this in an interview with The PUNCH in Abuja on Monday.

But the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said there was no truth in the claim

The PUNCH had reported last week that the association, after interventions by the Nigerian Medical Association, suspended its industrial action with the aim of holding a meeting of the National Executive Committee to review the activities of the Federal Government six weeks after.

The NARD commenced its industrial action on August 2, 2021.

Sources familiar with the matter told our correspondent on Monday that since the association suspended its industrial action, the Federal Government stopped the payment of the medical residency training fund which it commenced before the strike was suspended.

“They paid 20 centres before we suspended the strike and they promised they would pay everything immediately we suspend the strike and the salary arrears.

“But the moment we suspended the strike, till now, we have not heard anything from them. Thirty-four centres have not been paid (medical residency training fund) and salary arrears, even the one for August and September have not been paid,” one of the sources said.

The National President of NARD, Ishaya, confirmed the development.

However, Ngige confirmed the aspect of non-payment of salaries, saying the case was still in court while government was working towards an out-of-court settlement.

He said the striking doctors would not be paid for the months they did not work.

On the residency fund, the minister said the payment was suspended because some individuals who were not resident doctors were paid.

The minister said, “Do you pay somebody who didn’t work in August, September? The truth of the matter is that the August and September salary is a matter that is still in court. So, when we go to court, we will try to see if we can do out-of-court settlement. But for now, nothing like payment.

Punch

Continue Reading

Trending