Connect with us

Education

Court reinstates 32 sacked ekiti varsity workers

Published

on

The National Industrial Court, sitting in Akure, Ondo State has reinstated 32 out of over 900 workers disengaged by the Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti  in December last year.

The university had on December 5, 2019 sacked over 900 of its works for alleged certificate forgery, irregular appointment, overage, among other allegations that contravened its conditions of service.

But in the suit number NICN/AD/03/2020, 32 technologist out of the sacked workers dragged EKSU, EKSU Governing Council and EKSU Vice Chancellor (first to third defendants respectively) to industrial court to seek redress.

They asked the court to determine whether their employments with EKSU enjoyed statutory protection and whether their disengagement was compatible with their status of employments which enjoyed statutory flavour.

Among others, they sought a declaration of the court that their disengagement as staff of EKSU “in the manner it was done was unlawful, irregular, illegal and therefore null and void and of no effect.

“An order for the immediate restoration and reinstatement of the claimants to their offices without loss of salaries, promotions, emoluments and other allowances due to them as staff of the First respondent (EKSU).

“Payment of the claimants’ three months salaries, emoluments and other allowances owed them before the purported and unlawful disengagement,” they requested among others.

But counsel to the university, prayed the court not to grant the request of the 32 technologists, saying they had not been able to establish in the case that their appointments with EKSU were unlawfully determined.

After listening to the submission of both the claimants’ and defense Counsel, the presiding Judge, Justice K.D Damulak, declared the termination of the workers’ appointment as “unlawful, null and void”.

A copy of the judgment delivered on December 8 was made available to journalists in Ado Ekiti on Sunday, where Damulak said, “The claimants are hereby reinstated to their erstwhile positions in EKSU. The first defendant (EKSU) is hereby ordered to pay the claimants (the 32 technologists) their three months’ salaries owed them before their unlawful disengagement.”

Education

Katsina govt okays use of dogs to secure boarding schools

Published

on

The Katsina State Government has approved the use of dogs by the security personnel deployed to secure the state’s boarding schools.

This move, according to the Katsina State Commissioner for Education, Dr Badamasi Charanchi, is to complement the efforts of the security personnel attached to each boarding schools.

“We were advised to deploy these dogs in each school because they have special abilities to detect intruder faster than human beings in many instances.

“These dogs, when deployed, will alert the students and other security agents in case of any intruder or bandits when they are coming,” he said.

Governor of Katsina State, Aminu Masari, said his administration had reinforced the security architecture of the state’s boarding schools before reopening them.

He said apart from deploying five security guards in each school, a perimeter fence was erected and a security watch tower constructed in each of the  boarding schools.

Continue Reading

Education

JAMB stops use of email for UTME, Direct Entry registration

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says use of email is no longer required for registration processes for Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry (DE).

JAMB Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, said email addresses of applicants would be needed only at the successful completion of the registration to access information on the examination.

He said as from Thursday, April 15, 2021, candidates would no longer be required to provide any email address during registration, adding that they would have the options to access their profile during or after registration.

According to him, the new system is to ensure candidates’ details are not exposed to dubious cyber cafe operators and other criminal elements who in the course of UTME/DE registration steal email passwords to perpetrate fraud.

The JAMB registrar said an individual’s mobile phone now remains the only major tool to carry out all the registration processes.

He said the options include “mobile APP on the candidates’ phone, on the 55019 option (being designed) for example admission status checking, acceptance of admission etc on their profile.”

The registrar added, “Printing of examination slip (notification) or result notification slip or ticketing can be done anywhere using the candidates JAMB registration number only.

“At the conclusion of the 2021 UTME/DE registration exercise, candidates will provide their email addresses only after the 2021 UTME/DE registration exercise has been declared closed by JAMB through (a) mobile APP on his/her registered phone.

“Sending the word email (space then the email address) on his /her registered phone to 55019.

“The email is typed twice for correctness (email addresses will be entered twice for validation and prevention of typographical errors.”

Oloyede said the board had phased out the use of cash for any transactions in the computer-based test (CBT) centres owned by JAMB, saying only the use of Automated Teller Machine (ATM) cards is now allowed.

He said the move was to frustrate the antics of touts who hang around JAMB CBT centres, as well as prevent illegal charges, noting that candidates that were only keen in using cash could visit privately-owned centres for their registration and other activities.

Earlier, a final year student of the University of Abuja (UNIAbuja), Adegoke Justina, told newsmen how she was lured to hand over her email details to a cyber cafe worker, who posed as an employee of JAMB.

Adegoke had visited JAMB CBT centre in Kogo-Bwari area of Abuja to rectify issues with her admission when she was accosted by the young man, who promised to help do necessary applications, only for him to be issuing threats and demanding money days later after taking over the student’s email address.

Moses Peter, the cyber cafe operator, nabbed by police over the incident, however, identified the perpetrator of the crime as one David Ahmad, a student of Auchi Polytechnic, who sometimes works in the cafe.

Continue Reading

Education

Students protest: KWASU suspends hostel exemption fee increase

Published

on

The Kwara State University has reverted the exemption fee for hostel accommodation to N5,000 after the students’ protest on Monday over its increase to N20,000.

A statement signed by the Acting Registrar of the institution, Mr Mohammed Shuaib, said staff and students were expected to continue with academic activities and their normal duties since the situation has been brought under control.

He added that students in the following categories: health/ physical challenges, married students/pregnant/ nursing mothers are expected to apply to the Dean of Students’ Affairs for hostel exemption.

Students of the school had earlier protested over the increase in the hostel accommodation exemption free from N5,000 to N20,000.

The institution’s Director of University Relations, Mr Abdulrazaq Sanni, said the increase was to discourage off-campus stay by students.

“The school has only decided to stand strictly by what the policy in accommodation says because we discovered that students don’t want to stay in school hostel again and only want to just pay exemption fee and not stay in the hostel.

“Students actually protested, saying that the school has increased the exemption fee for not staying in the school hostel.

”The increment in the exemption fee is just to discourage them from staying off-campus and be forced to stay in school hostel where we can monitor them properly,” Sanni said.

Continue Reading

Trending