Connect with us

metro

Four killed, many injured in Osun community rival cults clash

Published

on

At least four persons have been killed and many injured in the Ejigbo area of Osun State in a clash involving two rival cult groups.

The incident which occurred on Tuesday has thrown the entire community into confusion.

Trouble reportedly started when the two rival groups in the town laid claim to the control of affairs of the town.

The fight, it was learnt, was between members of the Lion Based Youths and those Isale Agooji.

Dangerous weapons used in the free-for-all are guns, broken bottles, axes and cutlasses, among others.

The injured persons including residents of the area who are non-members of the two groups have been reportedly taken to in different hospitals in the town for treatment.

One of the indigenes of Ejigbo who identified himself as Aderoju Adewale described the incident as inhuman and urged the police to take full charge of the security of the place.

Commenting on the incident, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Yemisi Opalola, confirmed that, one Abeeb Abifarin of Okedada compound in Ejigbo was killed and his left hand cut off.

She said his death was reported to the police by his elder brother, Abifarin Mutiu, before the police commenced investigations on the case.

The police spokesperson said the remains of the deceased had been taken to Adeeyo hospital in the town for autopsy.

metro

#EndSARS: NEC warns against protest, approves compensation for victims

Published

on

The National Economic Council has warned against staging protests to commemorate the first anniversary of EndSARS crisis even as it says officers indicted by the judicial panels set up to probe police brutality will face prosecution.

The Federal Government had directed states to set up judicial panels of inquiry into allegations of human rights violations involving police officers, following the #EndSARS protests in October 2020.

The NEC, which is chaired by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, is made up of all the governors and representatives of the federal government.

According to a statement issued by Laolu Akande, spokesperson for the Vice-President, at a meeting held on Friday, NEC stated that there was a need to stop the planned protests “because of the current security situation across the country and the possibility of such protests being hijacked by armed hoodlums and other opportunistic criminals to cause mayhem at such protest events and venues. Council therefore urges the organisers to reconsider their plan.”

also said the FG and states would set up modalities for the settlement of compensations awarded to victims of police brutality.

The statement read in part, “It may be recalled that following the October 2020 #EndSARS protests, in furtherance of resolution of NEC, 28 States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) had set up Judicial Panels/Commissions of Inquiry (Panels) to investigate allegations of violations of human rights levied against members of the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies, especially members of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS.

“The 28 states that set up these Panels were Abia, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Benue, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Ekiti, Enugu, Gombe, Imo, Kaduna, Katsina, Kogi, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Plateau, Rivers, and Taraba.

“Out of the 28 States, 11 States (Abia, Ekiti, Enugu, Gombe, Kwara, Nasarawa, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Plateau, and Rivers) have submitted their final reports to Council; with Lagos, set to finalise its sittings on 19th October 2021, submitting an interim report. Governors of other States including Delta and Ebonyi at today’s meeting also indicated that their reports would be submitted soon.

“Following deliberations on the recommendations of the panels, NEC agreed/resolved as follows, (and this applies to all the states and FCT that set up the panels):

“Each State, in collaboration with the Federal Government, shall establish modalities for the settlement of all monetary compensations awarded by the Panels. Already, as resolved by NEC, a number of States have set up Victims Compensation Funds, from which several victims have already received payments of sums awarded to them by the panels.

“Council directed state governors to immediately forward copies of final reports of the panels to their Attorneys-General for prompt arraignment and prosecution of all indicted persons.

“Where incidents in the reports relate to matters of discipline, in addition to prosecution, NEC urged the Nigeria Police Force to take disciplinary action on the affected officers in line with the provisions of the Police Act 2020.”

Continue Reading

metro

Army allays fear over Calabar explosion

Published

on

The Nigerian Army has said there is no cause for alarm over a loud explosion that rocked some parts of Calabar, the Cross River State capital on Friday..

In a statement signed by Assistant Army Public Relations Officer, 13 Brigade, Cpt Oluwatope Aluko, the Nigerian Army disclosed that it was a routine demolition exercise by the explosive ordnance disposal team.

It added that it was slated for 14th of October to 17th.

The Army urged the public not to panic as the exercise was being conducted within the shooting range of the Nigerian Army and there was no cause for alarm.

The statement said, “The Nigerian Army explosive ordnance disposal team is slated to conduct its demolition exercise which is a routine in the Nigerian Army at the Eburutu Cantonment shooting Range in Calabar from 14-17 October 2021.

“Members of Ikot Effangha, Ikot Ansa, and Lemna communities are advised to stay off range area during the exercise.

“The general public is equally urged not to panic but go about their lawful daily activities. Sequel, you are please requested to inform the general public of the routine exercise.Thanks for your usual cooperation.”

Continue Reading

metro

RAPE: Man, 42, turns friend’s 11-yr-old daughter to sex slave in Plateau

Published

on

A 42-year-old man, Jacob Joel, has been remanded in a Jos Correctional Centre for the repeated rape of an 11-year-old girl.

The Police told the court that the victim, who is a friend to the defendant’s daughter, was said to have been defiled allegedly by the defendant when she went to visit her friend.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the crime.

Read Also: https://newstrends.ng/2021/10/15/presidency-replies-nnamdi-kanu-on-buhari-being-jubril-of-sudan/

Read Also: https://newstrends.ng/2021/10/15/youve-failed-your-constituents-ganduje-hits-back-at-shekarau-others/

The judge, Justice S.P Gang, in his ruling, ordered that the defendant be remanded in prison until Dec. 7, for hearing.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Mrs L. P. Fombot, told the court that the minor had visited the accused home to see her friend, but did not meet her at home.

Fombot said the victim, however, met the accused at home alone who allegedly dragged her into his room, threatened her with a knife, and had carnal knowledge of her.

She alleged that the accused threatened her on several occasions, raping her repeatedly.

The prosecutor said luck, however, ran out on him when he took the minor to the bush to have carnal knowledge of her, but was spotted by her school teacher.

If convicted, the accused could face life imprisonment.

The prosecutor said that during police interrogation, the accused blamed it on the devil, saying ‘the devil tempted him’. (NAN)

Vanguard News Nigeria

Continue Reading

Trending