Connect with us

Auto

FRSC cautions against speed, overloading on Yuletide return trip

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, has warned motorists against excessive speeding and overloading their vehicles while on a return trip to their base from the Yuletide and end of the year holiday.

He also directed FRSC personnel on patrol operations to pay attention to this and two other factors found to have been responsible for major crashes in the journeys home for the end of the year festivities.

A statement issued by the Corps Public Education Officer, Assistant Corps Marshal Bisi Kazeem, in Abuja on Sunday, said the identified traffic offences were the outcome of a review of crashes and fatality rates recorded during the Christmas and New Year operational activities by the corps.

The identified offences, according to him, are speeding, overloading and non-adherence to COVID-19 protocols both in vehicle and at the parks.

He further explained that the identified offences would form part of the core areas that the FRSC patrol teams would beam their operational searchlights on in the new year.

He warned motorists to desist from all traffic violations that could endanger their lives and those of other road users,

He, however, said the Corps Marshal was impressed with the orderly conduct of some of the drivers in the new year operations.

He, therefore, urgesd them to sustain the good driving habits for safety and security of all road users and members of the public alike in the new year.

On the three identified traffic offences, Kazeem explained that with the central role that speeding played in most of the fatal crashes recorded during the festive periods, enforcement of speed limiting devices in the new year would be more aggressive and non compromising.

He stressed that overloading of vehicle with goods and passengers and non-adherence to COVID-19 protocols in terms of social distancing would not be condoned.

“The corps is worried that with the threats of the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria and across the world, everyone must be made to adhere strictly to the guidelines issued by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) and obey all the traffic rules and regulations in the interest of our collective safety and public health,” he further stated.

He assured members of the public that FRSC would remain vigilant on the nation’s highways as travellers are returning to their homes after the Christmas and new year celebrations in various places, urging every motorist to show consideration for one another while using the road.

Auto

Investigate sources of fake reports about luxury bus hijack, GUO, ALBON tell police

Published

on

Luxury bus owners and operators have denied a new report claiming that one of the buses was hijacked and 123 passengers abducted by some gunmen.

The transporters were reacting to what they called the latest in a series of recent fake news that a “fully loaded” Abuja-bound luxury bus belonging to GUO Transport Co Ltd was “intercepted” in Edo by “bandits suspected to be Fulani who kidnapped about 123 passengers on board, hours after departing Owerri.

They asked the police and other security agencies in the country to investigate the sources of such frequent hoax online news reports about the hijack of their vehicles and kidnap of passengers by bandits.

Describing the abduction story which was widely publicised online as a mischievously fabricated falsehood, the Managing Director of GUO, Maduabuchukwu Okeke, disclosed that neither was any of his company’s buses hijacked nor the passengers abducted.

He stated that since the middle of last week when the false report was posted, his company has been inundated with calls and visits by worried members of the travelling public trying to confirm the “news.”

One of the publications went as far as claiming that the bandits were “armed with Ak-47 rifles and machetes.”

The GUO Managing Director recalled that false stories of luxury bus hijack and kidnap of passengers have been recycled several times since banditry became a worrisome issue in the country.

He urged the Department of State Services {DSS}, the police and other law enforcement agencies, to track down the perpetrators who are bent on scaring away innocent long distance road users, putting luxury bus business in jeopardy and causing disaffection among sections of the society.

Okeke debunked the story, saying, “The mischief makers claimed that 123 passengers were abducted. But, what kind of luxury bus can accommodate 123 passengers even with the so called “attachment” seats which are totally prohibited in GUO as a matter of policy. Or, are we talking about pieces of wood here, and not human beings anymore? You do not need to think deep to know that the story is false.”

He stated that if there was any such incident involving GUO buses, the management would have officially issued a statement in addition to a confirmation by the police.

Also speaking on to latest hijack and kidnap hoax, the recently elected National President of Association of Luxury Bus Owners of Nigeria {ALBON}, Nonso Ubajaka, decried the frequent generation of falsehood about his members’ vehicles on the internet.

Ubajaka said he checked with the management of GUO and confirmed that none of their buses was attacked by bandits.

“So, the question is: What is the motive behind the frequent fake news about luxury buses being “intercepted” and occupants abducted by the Fulani? All the transport owners are worried because there seems to be a secret plan to cause fear and disaffection which gives us cause for concern,” he said.

The ALBON President, therefore, echoed the appeal to the law enforcement agencies to swing into action and apprehend the mischief makers before they cause more damage through the internet.

Other luxury bus transporters and members of both ALBON and the bigger amalgam of transport bodies –   Public Transport Owners of Nigeria Association {PTONA}, urged online news readers to disregard such fake news.

Continue Reading

Auto

Motorists, travellers stranded as Delta bridge collapses

Published

on

There was confusion in part of Delta State on Friday following the collapse of the Umutu Bridge in the Ukwuani Local Government Area of the state, leaving several motorists and travellers on the Agbor-Abraka-Eku road stranded.

The incident reportedly occurred in the early hours of the day, adding that the aged long bridge gave way as a Trailer conveying heavy duty construction bulldozer was passing through it towards the Agbor axis of the state.

The deplorable condition of federal road has been on the news, with report of the road project already awarded for reconstruction by the federal government.

The road link many communities in the state and connect the people with other parts of the country, particularly Northern and South-East states.

Deputy Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly, Chief Ochor Christopher Ochor who hails from the area, regretted that the federal government had not given such an important road the desired attention.

Ochor who spoke to our Correspondent, described the collapsed of the bridge as unfortunate and sympathized with stranded motorists and travelers for the pains it may have caused them.

He said he had already contacted the Commissioner for Work in charge of Urban and Highways roads in the State, Mr Neol Omodion, who has promised to take necessary steps to address the ugly situation.

Ochor however stressed the need to beef up security in the area to protect the lives and properties of the stranded travelers, calling on the federal government to reconstruct the road due to its strategic position  to the socio economic development of the area.

 

Continue Reading

Auto

CFAO, TotalEnergies unveil four new service centres in Lagos

Published

on

AutoFast, a multi-brand quick service franchise of the CFAO group, in partnership with TotalEnergies Marketing Nigeria Plc, has announced the unveiling and operation of four additional service stations in Lagos.

A statement by the CFAO obtained on Thursday said the initiative was in line with its promise to make quality and quick auto service more accessible to Nigerians.

It stated that the new service stations are Lekki 2, Igbobi, Alapere 2, and Sura, adding that they were part of the first batch of development within the TotalEnergies Marketing Nigeria Plc network, across the State.

Other branches, according to the statement are TotalEnergies service station, Wuse 2, Zone Six, Abuja and AutoFast stand-alone, Akin Adesola, Victoria Island in Lagos.

“Our AutoFast sites carry-out routine vehicle maintenance such as quick oil change with Total QUARTZ Lubricants range, wheel balancing & alignment, A/C maintenance as well as sales and replacement of oil filters, air filters, cabin air filters, spark plugs, wiper blades, brake pads, batteries and tyres,” it stated.

It quoted General Manager, CFAO (Winpart /Autofast) Nigeria Limited, Mohamed Taleb, as saying, “We are excited and pleased that we have successfully opened additional four (4) service centers in Lagos in line with our expansion drive and quest to be closer to our customers’ needs. There is no doubt that customers’ tastes and preferences are increasingly changing and what the AutoFast brand brings to bear are quality and affordability. Customers are sure to get the best of service at the best price, and we look forward to expanding and having a network capable to cover Lagos properly.

“We pride ourselves in the fact that our servicing parts are directly sourced from the Independent Aftermarket Manufacturers across Europe and customers are guaranteed that parts used at our service centres are original.”

The firm noted that AutoFast technicians had been well trained and could boast of extensive experience in diagnosing and servicing the different models of both old and recent vehicles.

“Similarly, our service centres have modern equipment. For instance, its AC recovery machine provides an eco-friendly mode of recycling and topping up refrigerant as well as compressor oil. It is also equipped with a manifold gauge that detects if your AC is faulty,” it stated.

It also explained that at the AutoFast Service centre, each vehicle is made to undergo a 35-point control check to ascertain its general condition, adding that such service is free.

According to the firm, AutoFast offers three maintenance packages; Standard, Performance, and Premium Packages and one can service one’s vehicle starting at ₦13,000.

“We also offer vehicle maintenance services for corporate organizations tailored to fleet size and brand,” it added.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending