Connect with us

News

Four dead in pro-Trump protests at US Capitol

Published

on

Metropolitan Police Department on said Wednesday night confirmed death of four people during violent pro-Trump protests at the Capitol Building, the seat of the US legislative Congress.

Fourteen members of the Metropolitan Police Department were also injured, including one officer who was dragged into the crowd.

One woman was shot inside the Capitol, and three others died after suffering “medical emergencies,” police said.

According to a CBS report, a woman was shot by a plainclothes Capitol Police officer after breaching the Capitol and attempting to enter the House chamber, quoting acting Metropolitan Police Chief Robert Contee. She was transported to a local hospital where she was later pronounced dead, Contee said.

The shooting is being investigated by MPD’s internal affairs unit, which is responsible for investigating all officer-involved deaths in Washington, DC, even those involving other agencies.

It said the police had not yet released the identity of the woman but stated that the lady was a civilian and was not a member of any law enforcement agency, according to MPD.

One other woman and two men died “around the Capitol grounds” after suffering “separate medical emergencies,” Contee said.

Contee did not identify any of the deceased or provide further information on the medical issues that lead to their deaths.

The shooting occurred after violent supporters of President Trump breached the US Capitol as a joint session of Congress to count the electoral votes and affirm President-elect Joe Biden’s win was underway.

The Capitol complex was locked down and lawmakers were evacuated, halting the count after only two states had been completed.

Troops from the Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC National Guard were deployed to help quell the violence.

At least 14 members of the Metropolitan Police Department were injured, including one officer who was dragged into the crowd. Six firearms and two pipe bombs were recovered, as was a cooler of molotov cocktails.

Several hours after the initial breach, law enforcement announced the Capitol had been secured.

Fifty-two people had been arrested as of Wednesday night, police said.

Members of Congress from both parties resumed counting the electoral votes late Wednesday.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Flaunting wealth in public a serious security risk, DSS official warns

Published

on

An official of the Department of State Services (DSS) has warned that the public display of wealth constitutes a great security risk.

Paul Oduh, the deputy director, security enforcement, DSS Kwara command, gave the warning on Friday in Ilorin, capital of the state.

 

He said the deliberate exhibition of affluence and a flamboyant lifestyle attract kidnappers, bandits, and other criminals.

 

The comment comes in the wake of the extravagant display at the much talked about funeral of the mother of Obinna Iyiegbu, the nightlife promoter popularly known as Obi Cubana.

The DSS deputy director said given the security challenges in the country, Nigerians should avoid showing off in public.

 

“People must adopt moderate lifestyles, so as not to fall prey to these criminal elements,” Oduh said.

 

Oduh said a boastful attitude and maintaining a “habitual daily routine” can also make people prone to attacks.

“The country is ravaged by insecurity on daily basis. However, people should not despair, security should be concern of all people and they must be enlightened on it,” he said.

 

“Security can never be 100 percent everywhere in the world. People should be knowledgeable enough on those things they can do to protect themselves.

 

“Security denotes free from danger and protection of lives and property where individuals can pursue their lawful activities.

 

“There is need to accept that threats exist and people are targets of these threats. This is why people should put in place measures to safeguard themselves from such threats.”

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

PHOTOS: Nigeria dazzles in Tokyo Olympic opening parade

Published

on

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Business

I don’t need your cheques, Buhari tells contractor

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday charged contractors who have enjoyed government patronage as well as other privileged citizens to use their resources to support less privileged members of society.

 

President Buhari gave the charge when he paid a visit to the Emir of Daura, Dr Umar Faruk Umar.

 

He said passing gifts and ‘cheques’ to people in authority or already comfortable to buy favour is not the right approach.

 

According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, President Buhari challenged beneficiaries of government patronage to go to their respective communities and engage in corporate social responsibilities.

 

The President said: “I don’t want your cheque. Go and assist our communities” instead of trying to return kickbacks to public officers, including his office.

 

“We don’t want cheques from anyone or organisation as returns or influence of any kind. Let them remember their Corporate Social Responsibilities,” he said.

 

The President noted he would love to visit Daura more frequently but for the high cost of presidential movements and exposing security personnel to the weather, assuring his heart remains with the people.

“We are known for farming and I have my farm here. I could come every two weeks and no one can stop me.

“But the cost to the movement is high. I would rather that it be used to better our schools, clinics and hospitals,” said the President.

The President said the grace of God had kept Nigeria together as a country in spite of differences that led to a 30-month civil war

 

“We want to thank God always for keeping us together as a country. From January 15, 1966, the country was thrown into political crisis. We had a 30 months civil war that resulted in the loss of about a million lives.

 

“We still thank God for keeping us together. We remain grateful to all those who showed interest in our unity and progress. May God continue to bless them,” he added.

 

The President, who recalled fond memories of visiting the Palace as a military Head of State, expressed happiness that the warmth and hospitality of the traditional institution had been sustained over the years.

 

At the meeting, the Emir publicly announced conferment of the title of Talban Daura on Yusuf Buhari, son of President Buhari.

 

He said a date would be announced for the turbaning ceremony of the President’s son, which might likely be before his marriage.

 

The Emir also announced creation of a District in the community of the President, with headquarters in Dimurkol.

He said the turbaning of younger Buhari and creation of the District was to further extend and deepen the long relationship between the Palace and the family.

 

He said the decision was in agreement with the kingmakers in Daura Emirate Council.

 

During the visit, the Palace used the opportunity to clarify the difference between two titles, Talban Hausa, given to Alpha Conde, the President of Guinea and Talban Daura designated for Yusuf, the President’s son.

 

The Palace explained that Daura, as the linchpin of the Hausa society had conferred titles that have bearing on the Hausa Kingdom and those that are specific to the Emirate.

Continue Reading

Trending