US President Donald Trump will be unable to use Facebook and Instagram for at least two weeks as he remains banned from the social media platforms until the transmission of power to President-elect Joe Biden’s administration is complete.
Twitter has however allowed him back with a warning that he will be banned permanently should he breach the platform rules again.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg explained that the US President had been banned due to his efforts to incite the violence which occurred at the US Capitol on January 6.
In a post, Zuckerberg stated that the 24-hour-ban imposed on Wednesday had been extended because of Trump’s “use of our platform to incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government.”
Earlier, both Twitter and Facebook had blocked Trump’s official accounts for 12 hours and 24 hours, respectively.
The companies cited policy violations over his tweets and video message which incited the violence at US Capitol.
Later, Facebook-owned Instagram also announced a 24-hour ban on Trump’s account.
Giving reasons for the imposition of the indefinite ban, Zuckerberg wrote, “The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden.”
The Facebook CEO added, “We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great. Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.”
Meanwhile, Trump has been allowed to tweet again, after being locked out of his account for 12 hours.
Twitter however has given the outgoing president a final warning.
He was conciliatory in his new post and refrained from making false claims about electoral fraud.
Popular gaming platform Twitch also placed an indefinite ban on Trump’s channel, which he has used for rally broadcasts.
Trump tweeted several message on Wednesday, calling the people who stormed Capitol Hill “patriots”. He also said “We love you.”
A spokesperson for Twitter said, “After the tweets were removed and the subsequent 12-hour period expired, access to @realDonaldTrump was restored.
“Any future violations of the Twitter rules, including our Civic Integrity or Violent Threats policies, will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account.”
Thousands of angry Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol on Wednesday January 6 and clashed with police, resulting in casualties and multiple injuries.
This interrupted an ongoing constitutional process to affirm Joe Biden’s victory in the US presidential election of 2020.
Nnamdi Kanu: I lectured Abaribe on how to live in prison – Shehu Sani
Shehu Sani, a former Kaduna Central Senator, has recalled lecturing Senate Minority Leader, Senator Eyinnaya Abaribe on how to live in prison.
Sani said he used to lecture Abaribe on how to live in prison in case he gets prosecuted over his Biafra agitation.
He disclosed this while sharing a throwback photo of himself having a discussion with Abaribe on the floor of the Upper Chamber.
In a post on his Facebook page on Wednesday, the former lawmaker disclosed that Abaribe also tried to convert him into believing in the Biafra ideology.
- FG begins review of power sector licences amid poor supply
- Plateau lawmakers fight over mace, impeach speaker
He wrote: “My good friend Senator Abaribe was trying to convert my citizenship to Biafra while I used to give him lectures on how to live in prison when they come for him, using my years of experience in Kiri Kiri, Port Harcourt and Aba Prisons in the 90s.”
Abaribe had stood as one of the sureties for Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, in 2017.
But Kanu jumped bail and fled Nigeria after regaining his freedom, following a ruling by Justice Binta Nyako of an Abuja Federal High Court.
Following Kanu’s action, it was believed that the Nigerian government would go after Abaribe as he risked imprisonment.
However, Kanu was rearrested in July and is currently facing trial.
Plateau lawmakers fight over mace, impeach speaker
There was a rancorous situation on Thursday at Plateau State House Assembly as the legislators fought over the mace, the symbol of authority, leading to the impeachment of the Speaker, Abok Ayuba Nuhu.
Nuhu was promptly replaced with Sanda Yakubu, who from Pingana constituency of the Bassa Local Government Area of the state.
It was leant that as early as 5.30am on Thursday, members of the assembly had started arriving at the chamber of the house.
The rumours about the impeachment of Abok had started a week ago when press releases and write-ups went viral on social media over his clash with the state governor, Solomon Lalong.
The lawmakers almost exchanged blows when the issue of the impeachment was tabled in the house on Thursday. The Peoples Democratic Party members, who were loyal to the speaker, took the mace to prevent the impeachment.
But the All Progressives Congress members, who were in the majority insisting on the impeachment, dragged the mace and placed it in its position, and went ahead with the process.
It was learnt that before the state lawmakers converged on the house, the road leading to the assembly was blocked by security operatives.
There had been grudges between Governor Simon Lalong and the impeached speaker following the attack in Yelwan Zagam, the community of Jos North, where people were killed.
After the attack, the speaker started criticising the governor openly. He also stopped attending public functions in the state.
Ogun gives land encroachers 1 month grace to process titles
Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun has announced a one-month moratorium for residents and entrepreneurs who have encroached on the state government-acquired land.
He announced this at the launch of an online portal, Ogun State Land Administration and Revenue Management System (OLARMS), at the Tech Hub in Abeokuta.
The governor gave them up till November 30 to apply for ratification of their documents.
- Gunmen invade Ogun community, shoot six persons
- Physical activities reduce impact of COVID-19 on patients — Experts
- Anambra election: Corps members threaten withdraw from poll over IPOB order
- Maria: Date your married man without rubbing it on wife’s face — Jaruma
- I need a new coach, Joshua cries out
In his address, the Chief Economic Adviser and Commissioner for Finance, Dapo Okubadejo, said the portal will also offer those who have encroached on the state government land in different parts of the state an opportunity to get title documents via the Property Registration Programme (PRP) for only a defined period.
BREAKING: CAN opposes Christian-Christian, Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket in 2023
Blasphemy: Again, Abduljabbar asks lawyers to take back seat, moves to defend self
Army kills over 189 bandits, terrorists in two weeks
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
- News7 days ago
Fashola urges states to enact laws on monthly rent payment
- Politics7 days ago
16 APC Governors backing Tinubu for 2023 presidency – Adeyeye
- Auto6 days ago
Motorists, travellers stranded as Delta bridge collapses
- metro4 days ago
How the story of Kano blind teacher changed for good
- Sports3 days ago
BREAKING: Man Utd’s senior officials in urgent meeting to discuss Solskjaer’s sack
- metro5 days ago
Kidnappers snatch woman’s car with her two kids in Akure
- metro7 days ago
African pastor whips would-be clergymen as qualification test + Video
- metro6 days ago
Kanu ordered killing of Akunyili, Gulak, monarchs, 175 security men — FG