Connect with us

COVID-19

18,699 active COVID-19 cases stretching health facilities — Mamora

Published

on

The Federal Government says the nation’s health facilities are increasingly finding it tough to cope with the rising cases of COVID-19.

Minister of State for Health, Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora, made the disclosure on Monday in Abuja at a briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

He said the 18,699 active COVID-19 cases were stretching health facilities.

Mamora said, “With the increased number of confirmed cases, the number of active cases has increased.

“As of today, we have 18,699 active cases on treatment both in health facilities and in community, using the treatment protocols.

“Many of the active cases may require care in one of the treatment or isolation centres, thus imposing enormous burden on our facilities.”

The minister said Nigeria had crossed the 100,000 mark for confirmed cases of COVID-19, saying it showed increase in infection.

As of Monday, a total of 100,087 cases were confirmed, while 80,030 cases had been discharged.

Mamora said the country had lost 1,358 people to the novel coronavirus.

He said, “In the last 24 hours, 1,024 new confirmed cases were recorded in 17 states, with eight deaths. The case fatality rate stands at 1.36 per cent.

“So far, we have tested a total of 1,025,560 people with a positivity rate of 9.8 per cent. Our testing rate in the last few weeks has increased as we continue to engage states to scale up their case finding and testing.”

Mamora said the country was working to meet a target of testing two million residents within the shortest period.

He added that results from tests conducted on prospective National Youth Service Corps members confirmed that no part of the country was free of COVID-19.

He said, “We safely and comfortably drew this conclusion because corps members are mobilised from all the states of the country for each of the orientation camps.

“The report that many of those who died reported late for treatment at the approved centres because they were referred late from private facilities is alarming.

“We therefore once again urge healthcare practitioners to promptly send all suspected cases for testing and, when positive, refer them to isolation centres for treatment.

“Attempting to treat suspected or confirmed cases will not only expose the health workers in such a facility to risk of infection but also deny the patient early access to effective treatment in an approved treatment centre.”

Mamora also said the plan of the Federal Government regarding activation of oxygen availability in the states was on course.

Continue Reading
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. asmr https://0mniartist.tumblr.com

    April 10, 2021 at 11:03 am

    Incredible points. Great arguments. Keep up the good effort.
    0mniartist asmr

  2. 0mniartist

    April 12, 2021 at 12:04 am

    It’s actually a nice and useful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you just shared
    this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this.

    Thank you for sharing. 0mniartist asmr

  3. asmr https://0mniartist.tumblr.com

    April 13, 2021 at 1:35 pm

    I don’t even understand how I finished up here, but I believed this
    submit was great. I don’t recognise who
    you might be but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger should you are not already.
    Cheers! asmr 0mniartist

  4. http://bit.ly/3a8wFhV

    April 14, 2021 at 12:25 pm

    This design is incredible! You most certainly know how to
    keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.

    Too cool! asmr 0mniartist

  5. bit.ly

    April 16, 2021 at 6:55 am

    In fact no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of then its up to other people that
    they will assist, so here it takes place. asmr 0mniartist

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

COVID-19

US to halt J&J COVID vaccine after blood clotting cases

Published

on

The United States federal health agencies on Tuesday recommended suspending the use of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine.

The development comes after six recipients of the vaccine — all women– developed a “severe type of blood clot”.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said they would stop using the vaccine at federal sites and asked states to do so as well while they investigate safety issues.

The agencies, in a joint statement, said they were “reviewing data involving six reported US cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot in individuals after receiving the vaccine. Right now, these adverse events appear to be extremely rare”.

“Treatment of this specific type of blood clot is different from the treatment that might typically be administered,” they said.

“CDC will convene a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) on Wednesday to further review these cases and assess their potential significance. FDA will review that analysis as it also investigates these cases.

“Until that process is complete, we are recommending this pause. This is important to ensure that the health care provider community is aware of the potential for these adverse events and can plan due to the unique treatment required with this type of blood clot.”

It is the third COVID-19 vaccine that has received FDA’s authorisation, and also the first single-dose COVID-19 vaccine available in the US.

About seven million people in the US have received the vaccine.

Similar reports of blood clot development in recipients of the AstraZeneca vaccine made several European countries to suspend use of the product in March.

They have, however, resumed using the vaccine after European Union and British regulators said there was no link between the vaccine and the reported side effects.

Continue Reading

COVID-19

COVID-19: PTF transforms into presidential steering committee, completes task December

Published

on

COVID-19: PTF transforms into presidential steering committee, complete task December

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the transition of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 to the presidential steering committee.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, said President Muhamadu Buhari, stated this at a media briefing on Tuesday, adding that the mandate of the PSC would end on December 31.
According to him, the PSC will focus on ensuring effectiveness in the roll-out of the vaccine, and promote policies that will result in the development of the country’s health sector.
“Mr president has considered the report and has approved the following: That the PTF will transition to a presidential steering committee on COVID-19, effective from 1st April, 2021, with a modified mandate to reflect the non-emergent status of COVID-19 as a potentially long-term pandemic,” he said.
“That the structure of the PSC shall reflect the new focus of the response with a targeted approach on vaccine oversight, risk communication, international travel quarantine processes and sub-national engagement; that the tenure of the presidential steering committee shall last till 31st December, 2021.
“The presidential steering committee would maintain the present constitution, functions and strategies of the PTF; be supported by a slim technical and administrative structure.”

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Lagos shuts 430 event centres, night clubs

Published

on

The Lagos State Safety Commission says it has shut 430 event centres and night clubs for violating COVID-19 protocols.
Director General at the commission, Lanre Mojola, said at a news conference in Alausa, Ikeja that the commission was saddled with developing safety guidelines for the state’s reopening of economic activities in post COVID-19 lockdown.
“The commission was involved in the enforcement of COVID-19 protocols and this led to the shutting of 30 event centres and 400 clubs across the state,” he added.
On construction safety, the DG said the commission carried out risk assessment and unscheduled safety inspection of construction sites to ensure safety compliance, as well as adherence to COVID-19 protocols, to prevent accidents, incidents, illnesses and loss of lives.
He said the commission issued provisional safety compliance certificates for 90 days and safety compliance certificates thereafter if compliance status was maintained.
Mojola said the enforcement was carried out in 609 construction sites for repeated failure to comply with safety regulations.
He said the annual World Safety Day would hold across the world on April 28 to create awareness, sensitise and educate people on the importance of keeping the workplace safe and free from occupational hazards, accidents, incidents and preventable illnesses.

Continue Reading

Trending