Connect with us

COVID-19

Updated: Lagos medical college shut as students, workers contract COVID-19, contact tracing begins

Published

on

The Lagos State University College of Medicine says it has shut down its campus in Ikeja after some students and members of staff of the institution tested positive for COVID-19.

Head, Centre for Information, Press and Public Relations of the Lagos State University, Ademola Adekoya, confirmed this in a statement titled ‘Lagos State University College of Medicine close hostel as three students test positive for COVID-19’.

The student union, in a separate statement, said the test results showed that some students and workers of the college were COVID-19 positive.

Adekoya said those affected had been isolated; their roommates already being tested, just as the authorities had begun tracing all those that must have had contact with the affected students.

Part of the statement read, “The management of Lagos State University wishes to inform staff, students and the general public that three students of the Lagos State University College of Medicine have tested positive for COVID-19 leading the college to immediately close down all her hostel facilities.

“In addition, stakeholders are also informed that roommates of the three students who tested positive and their associates are being tested.

“The college already isolated the affected three students and has commenced contact tracing of all affected students.

“The hostel facilities were immediately closed for decontamination upon confirmation of the status of the affected students.

“All students of the College have been advised to proceed home to self-isolate for the next 14 days from where their health status will be monitored by the College. Phone numbers/contacts of all students are already obtained to that effect.

“Any students showing symptoms at home are to contact the college through dedicated lines for necessary assistance/treatment.

“Meanwhile, the college has handed treatment packs to all three who tested positive.

“The college is also providing psychological support to the three students who tested positive and their roommates.

“Parents, guardians and the general public are assured that the safety of all staff and students is of top priority and the Lagos State University as a whole will continue to enforce compliance with COVID-19 guidelines and protocols to ensure the safety of all within her campuses.

“Management also again enjoins all students, staff and the general public to take personal responsibility and continue to observe COVID-19 guidelines as the virus is real and deadly.”

The student union’s statement said the provost of the college mandated every student to evacuate the hostel and isolate themselves at home for two weeks with effect from Friday January 15.

The union said courses and examinations had been put on hold, adding that a communique containing modalities for school resumption would be circulated after the two-week isolation period.

It said, “Owing to the present reality of the COVID-19 we are faced with and after an evidence-based investigation that some students and college staff have been confirmed positive for coronavirus, the provost has mandated that every student to evacuate the hostel and isolate themselves at home for the next two weeks effective from Friday 15th January. This was a decision made at an emergency academic board meeting.

“The provost advised that any student with likely/ classical symptoms of the virus should fill a form which shall be sent across board in the shortest time possible and the concerned individuals shall be called upon for testing tomorrow whilst they await the results of their test at home.

“The provost also reiterated that the college isolation bay would be set up within the two weeks of isolation and complete evacuation of students from the college arena.

“We strongly encourage everyone to strictly adhere to the COVID-19 guidelines as stated by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control in a bid to help mitigate the spread and impact of the deadly virus within and beyond the college arena.”

 

COVID-19

US to halt J&J COVID vaccine after blood clotting cases

Published

on

The United States federal health agencies on Tuesday recommended suspending the use of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine.

The development comes after six recipients of the vaccine — all women– developed a “severe type of blood clot”.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said they would stop using the vaccine at federal sites and asked states to do so as well while they investigate safety issues.

The agencies, in a joint statement, said they were “reviewing data involving six reported US cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot in individuals after receiving the vaccine. Right now, these adverse events appear to be extremely rare”.

“Treatment of this specific type of blood clot is different from the treatment that might typically be administered,” they said.

“CDC will convene a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) on Wednesday to further review these cases and assess their potential significance. FDA will review that analysis as it also investigates these cases.

“Until that process is complete, we are recommending this pause. This is important to ensure that the health care provider community is aware of the potential for these adverse events and can plan due to the unique treatment required with this type of blood clot.”

It is the third COVID-19 vaccine that has received FDA’s authorisation, and also the first single-dose COVID-19 vaccine available in the US.

About seven million people in the US have received the vaccine.

Similar reports of blood clot development in recipients of the AstraZeneca vaccine made several European countries to suspend use of the product in March.

They have, however, resumed using the vaccine after European Union and British regulators said there was no link between the vaccine and the reported side effects.

Continue Reading

COVID-19

COVID-19: PTF transforms into presidential steering committee, completes task December

Published

on

COVID-19: PTF transforms into presidential steering committee, complete task December

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the transition of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 to the presidential steering committee.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, said President Muhamadu Buhari, stated this at a media briefing on Tuesday, adding that the mandate of the PSC would end on December 31.
According to him, the PSC will focus on ensuring effectiveness in the roll-out of the vaccine, and promote policies that will result in the development of the country’s health sector.
“Mr president has considered the report and has approved the following: That the PTF will transition to a presidential steering committee on COVID-19, effective from 1st April, 2021, with a modified mandate to reflect the non-emergent status of COVID-19 as a potentially long-term pandemic,” he said.
“That the structure of the PSC shall reflect the new focus of the response with a targeted approach on vaccine oversight, risk communication, international travel quarantine processes and sub-national engagement; that the tenure of the presidential steering committee shall last till 31st December, 2021.
“The presidential steering committee would maintain the present constitution, functions and strategies of the PTF; be supported by a slim technical and administrative structure.”

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Lagos shuts 430 event centres, night clubs

Published

on

The Lagos State Safety Commission says it has shut 430 event centres and night clubs for violating COVID-19 protocols.
Director General at the commission, Lanre Mojola, said at a news conference in Alausa, Ikeja that the commission was saddled with developing safety guidelines for the state’s reopening of economic activities in post COVID-19 lockdown.
“The commission was involved in the enforcement of COVID-19 protocols and this led to the shutting of 30 event centres and 400 clubs across the state,” he added.
On construction safety, the DG said the commission carried out risk assessment and unscheduled safety inspection of construction sites to ensure safety compliance, as well as adherence to COVID-19 protocols, to prevent accidents, incidents, illnesses and loss of lives.
He said the commission issued provisional safety compliance certificates for 90 days and safety compliance certificates thereafter if compliance status was maintained.
Mojola said the enforcement was carried out in 609 construction sites for repeated failure to comply with safety regulations.
He said the annual World Safety Day would hold across the world on April 28 to create awareness, sensitise and educate people on the importance of keeping the workplace safe and free from occupational hazards, accidents, incidents and preventable illnesses.

Continue Reading

Trending