Connect with us

metro

Gunmen in Kano highway ambush, kill four policemen

Published

on

Bandits have killed four policemen in Kano State in an ambush along Birnin-Gwari Funtua highway.

The slain policemen attached to Police Mobile Force 9 Squadron Kano were among those trying to repel the criminal numbering about 100 in the attack.

According to a statement on Sunday by the Force spokesman, CP Frank Mba, one officer is missing from the personnel attached to Operation Puff Adder.

They had just completed their operation against bandits and other criminals in Niger State and were returning to their base in Kano when they were ambushed.

The statement explained that the remaining 11 men led by their Unit Commander successfully recovered the bodies and firearms of their fallen colleagues, noting that efforts were being intensified to rescue the missing officer.

The statement was titled, ‘PMF personnel successfully repel ambush attack on their convoy in Birnin-Gwari’.

It read, “Contrary to unconfirmed reports in some sections of the media stating that 18 officers were kidnapped, 16 officers were attacked in the ambush.

“The officers successfully repelled the attack accordingly and neutralised the bandits while many of the bandits scampered into the bush with gunshot injuries.

“Regrettably, four officers paid the supreme price during the exchange of gun fire between the police and the bandits while an officer is still missing.”

The Force added that four riot policemen were killed by the bandits on Friday.

The Birnin-Gwari Emirate Progressives Union had on Sunday claimed that five policemen were killed by bandits at Farinruwa area of Birnin-Gwari LG on Friday.

In another development, the Air Task Force of Operation Lafiya Dole destroyed additional six gun trucks and eliminated scores of terrorists attempting to reinforce their colleagues in the attack on Marte in Borno State.

This is coming few hours after the Nigeria Air Force destroyed seven gun trucks belonging to the criminals.

The Defence Headquarters Spokesman, Maj. Gen. John Enenche, disclosed in a statement that several Boko Haram terrorists were killed during the mop-up attack on their convoy on Friday.

“The helicopters delivered accurate hits in their multiple waves of attack, obliterating no fewer than six additional gun trucks, which were seen engulfed in flames across the battle space.

“Several other terrorists were mopped-up in follow-on attacks as the helicopter gunships continued to strafe the fleeing ISWAP elements,” the DHQ stated.

metro

Police arrest Nollywood actor accused of defiling 14-year-old girl

Published

on

The police have arrested a popular actor, Olarenwaju James, popularly known as Baba Ijesha, for allegedly defiling a 14-year girl.

PUNCH Metro gathered that a closed-circuit television installed in the victim’s home captured Omiyinka allegedly molesting the victim while her mother was not at home.

It was learnt that the victim’s mother, who had been suspecting that her daughter was being sexually abused, installed the CCTV to uncover the perpetrator.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the victim’s mother monitored the situation in her home on her phone and to her dismay, she saw Omiyinka allegedly conducting himself in a suspicious manner around her daughter.

The thespian allegedly took the victim away from the sitting room into the kitchen, where there was no CCTV camera installed, and the mother, who rushed back home upon the discovery, allegedly caught Omiyinka defiling her daughter in the kitchen.

The victim’s mother was said to have been inconsolable after her discovery.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, said in a statement on Thursday that Omiyinka was arrested after a case of defilement was reported against him, adding that preliminary investigation revealed that he had been sexually assaulting the 14-year-old victim since she was seven.

The police also said it had commenced investigation into the case.

The statement read, “The Lagos State Police Command has arrested one Olarenwaju James ‘male’ 48, aka Baba Ijesha, popular Nollywood actor for defiling a minor.

“The case of defilement was reported on 19th April, 2021 by one Princess Adekola Adekanya ‘female’ at Sabo Police Station and transferred to the Gender Unit of the State CID, Panti, Yaba Lagos for proper investigation.

“Based on preliminary findings, the suspect started sexually assaulting the victim, 14 years, since she was seven years old. The suspect confessed to the crime and was also captured by a CCTV camera in the house of the complainant.

“The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, CP Hakeem Odumosu, has ordered for proper investigation as he promised to do justice in the matter.”

Continue Reading

metro

Security agents avert jailbreak in Kano

Published

on

Security agents on Thursday evening prevented a jailbreak by inmates of Kurmawa prison, around the emir’s palace in Kano.

Gunshots were heard within the area where the prison is located, as residents prepared to break their Ramadan fast on Thursday.

Spokesman for the Nigerian correctional service in Kano, Musbahu Nasarawa, confirmed the incident, adding that the inmates attempted to cause pandemonium but were resisted.

 

“We have put down the rebellion through the concerted efforts of the prison officials,” he said.

Nasarawa said that violence broke out when prison officials attempted to retrieve illicit items found with some of the prisoners.

Unconfirmed reports had initially claimed that the commotion was the result of the poor quality of food the prisoners were served when they wanted to break their fast on Thursday.

Nasarawa, however, denied the claims that the crisis was the result of lack of food or poor quality of food for the inmates.

According to him, normalcy has been restored to the area.

There has been a series of jailbreaks across the country in recent times.

 

While an attempt by inmates to break out of prison was foiled in Edo on April 14, prison officials sustained injuries following an attempt at the Bauchi correctional centre on April 9.

In Imo, over 1,500 inmates reportedly escaped when gunmen broke into the correctional centre in Owerri, the state capital, on April 5.

Continue Reading

metro

Nine killed, suspects freed as gunmen attack Anambra, Abia police stations

Published

on

There was mayhem in two South-East states, Anambra and Abia, on Monday when gunmen separately attacked police formations, leading to the death of two policemen and seven others.

Two Policemen and three other persons were killed when gunmen attacked the Zone 13 police headquarters at Ukpo, in Dunukofia Local Government Area of Anambra State.

Detained suspects were reportedly set free after hoodlums had razed the Uzuakoli Police Division in Bende  council area of Abia State. The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has denied any  involvement  in the attacks on security agents, agencies and their formations in any party of the South-East.

The police gave the names of their dead colleagues in the Anambra mayhem as Inspector Ishaku Aura and PC Uzoma Uwaebuka.

One of the buildings at zone 13 was razed by the hoodlums, while four vehicles were burnt. A police officer at the zone said, “The hoodlums invaded the zonal headquarters at Ukpo in the early hours of yesterday but our gallant men repelled the attack.

“In the process, they killed two of our men while our men gunned down three of their men. But they quickly carried them and zoomed off.

“Those hoodlums came in their numbers; in fact, not less than 20, but our men were equal to the task. They tried to gain access into our armoury but our men stopped them.

“One general purpose machine gun was recovered by the police from the attackers and the identities of the attackers were still not known.”

The Zonal Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Nkeiru Nwode, confirmed the incident, saying apart from the GPMG, various types of ammunition were also recovered from the hoodlums.

Nwode’s statement read: “Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force attached to Zone-13 headquarters, Ukpo, Anambra State, have successfully repelled an attack on the Zonal headquarters by criminal elements in the early hours of today, (yesterday) 19th April, 2021. “The attackers, who came in their numbers, shot  sporadically in order to gain access to the facility, but were repelled by police personnel on duty who showed profound gallantry in the face of the seemingly overwhelming attack. “Following the inability of the attackers to access the facility, they cowardly threw petrol bombs and Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) on vehicles within the periphery of the headquarters. “One of the criminal elements was neutralized during the exchange of gunfire between the police and the attackers, while many of the gang members escaped with gunshots injuries.

“One L7A2 General-Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG), ninety-two rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition, one locally-made smoke pistol and an axe were recovered by the police. Regrettably, two police operatives sustained gunshot injuries and are currently receiving treatment.

“Anambra State Commissioner of Police, CP Monday Kuryas, who is also  standing in for the Zonal Assistant Inspector General of Police, for the zone has commended the police operatives for putting up a strong resistance against the attackers.

“The CP, supported by other senior officers from Zone-13 Headquarters and the state command, is personally leading a special operation aimed at tracing, identifying and arresting the perpetrators to bring them to book.

“The CP also called on proprietors of private and public (including unorthodox) medical facilities in and around Anambra State to admit, but report anyone found seeking medical attention for bullet wounds and related injuries to the nearest police station.”

In Abia, the Police Public Relations Officer, for the state command, SP Geoffrey Ogbonna, said the gunmen used dynamites and rocket launchers which frustrated the efforts of the policemen guarding the station to repel them. According to him, the gunmen also freed detainees at the station.

Continue Reading

Trending