Connect with us

metro

Ogun bans trucks from flyovers after tanker explosion

Published

on

Gov Abiodun at the scene of the tanker explosion

No tanker or articulated vehicle will henceforth be allowed to use flyover bridges in the Ogun State, Governor Dapo Abiodun has said.

The governor, who visited the scene of a Tuesday tanker explosion on Kuto flyover bridge, Abeokuta that claimed three lives, gave the order.

Abiodun described the incident as sad and unfortunate, adding that the ban was meant to safeguard lives and property of citizens in view of explosions in different part of the state.

Abiodun expressed concern that the bridges constructed to solve problems were now creating new problems.

He said stiffer punishment would be meted out to tanker driver, found to flout the order.

He said the state would soon roll out measures to check the road worthiness of vehicles, especially tankers and articulated vehicles plying roads in the state.

The governor confirmed that three persons died in Tuesday’s explosion, while six others sustained varying degrees of injury.

He said the injured victims had been taken to the Federal Medical Centre, Idi-Aba, and the State Hospital, Ijaye, Abeokuta.

The governor said, “The record that we have as of now is that we have three casualties; we have another six persons, who sustained varying degrees of burns. Three of them are at the Federal Medical Centre and the other three are at the State Hospital, Ijaye, receiving urgent medical attention.

“We have gone a step further by inviting burns specialist from Lagos to come and attend to those who have about 80 to 90 per cent burns, who require special attention, and have since arrived in Abeokuta. They will make explanation if there will be a need to transfer them to the burns centre in Lagos.”

A survivor, Taiwo Ososanya, who escaped from one the vehicles trapped by the fire, said the tanker driver gave a sign of brake failure, while descending the bridge.

Taiwo, an official of the state Ministry of Housing, said the driver, in a bid to avoid greater calamity, swerved and crashed into the side of the road.

metro

Sunday Igboho, others plan Lagos Yoruba Nation rally

Published

on

Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly called Sunday Igboho, is set to storm Lagos for Yoruba Nation rally.
Yoruba nation protesters have held rallies across South-West states such as Osun, Ogun, Ekiti and Ondo.
Igboho is expected in Lagos on July 3, 2021 at the Ojota park in continuation of the rally for creation of Yoruba nation.
An ardent supporter of Sunday Igboho, Alaba Shomuyiwa, popularly known as Baba Confirm, Prophet of El Adonai Cherubim and Seraphim International Bible Ministries, disclosed that Igboho and other supporters would be in Lagos, urging Yoruba to support the movement.
Igboho in the past weeks expressed dissatisfaction over the continuous activities of killer herders in the south-west region.
In the last rally held in Ekiti, Igboho declared the 2023 general elections would not hold in the region unless the Oduduwa Republic is created, calling on all stakeholders to support him and other leaders in achieving it.

Continue Reading

metro

Kebbi school kidnap: One student killed, five rescued

Published

on

Security forces have rescued four of the abducted students of the Federal Government College, Birnin-Yauri in Kebbi State attacked by bandits on Thursday.
They were rescued along with a teacher during a gun battle with the bandits on Friday morning that also left one of the abducted students dead.
Deputy Force Commander of the Joint Task Force in the North-West, Abubakar AbdulKadir, confirmed this to reporters on Friday.
The number of students abducted by the gunmen during the attack on Thursday afternoon is yet to be confirmed.
But local media reported that about 30 of the students were taken hostage.
AbdulKadir said the troops engaged the bandits in a gun duel on Friday morning, forcing them to abandon five of their captives.
“In the early hours of this morning, we have come across the kidnappers. They came to our blocking point, and we engaged them,” he said.
He added, “At that point, they abandoned five of the students and one of the teachers. Unfortunately, I think we have lost one of the students.”
The kidnap is the latest in a series of violent attacks targeted at schools in northern Nigeria.
About 700 students have been reportedly abducted in the attacks since December 2020.

Continue Reading

metro

Updated: Five burnt to death, 25 cars razed in Lagos tanker explosion

Published

on

Five people have confirmed dead in the gas tanker explosion that occurred on Thursday night along Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Lagos.
Three of the bodies were found inside one of the stores at the OPIC plaza by officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) around 7am on Friday.
The bodies were found while rescue team was searching for a child whose mother was rescued early Friday morning.
The woman, who was at the Chinese Restaurant, reportedly kept crying about her child when she was being evacuated to the hospital.
The officials who went from one room to the other in search of the kid reportedly discovered three bodies of men who got trapped by the fire.
The other two, including a child, were discovered by a vulcaniser who led FRSC officials on traffic control duty to the spot.
At least 13 other persons were injured after the gas tanker explosion which occurred at 10.30pm resulted in the destruction of 25 cars.
Four of the injured victims with severe burns who could not be attended to at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital were moved to the Trauma and Burns Centre of the Gbagada General Hospital.
Director General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed that five bodies had been recovered and 13 injured persons evacuated to the hospital.
He said the agency responded to a distress call shortly before midnight on Thursday concerning a tanker explosion which extended to the OPIC Plaza and damaged 22 parked vehicles within the premises.
“First responders worked to control the spread to the adjacent properties as well as the nearby petrol station until 0400hrs Friday.
“Thirteen people with various degrees of burns were rescued comprising nine males and four females. They were provided with pre hospital care before taken to Lagos State health facilities for further treatment
“The affected truck has been moved, the entire affected area cordoned off and post disaster assessment ongoing.”
Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, Acting Zonal Coordinator, South West Zonal Office, National Emergency Management Agency, confirmed the development in Ikeja on Friday.
He said the explosion threw the environment into panic due to the huge fire caused by the incident.
He said the explosion was reportedly caused by leakage from the gas tanker while in motion.
“The resulting fire travelled with the wind to the premises of Ogun State Property Investment Company (OPIC) Plaza besides Sheraton Hotels, which houses different commercial outfits including a Chinese Restaurant.
“The fire was put out at about 12.30am, after concerted efforts of five fire trucks from the Lagos State Fire Service and two trucks from the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency Response Unit.
“The initial search and rescue activities revealed that 13 persons sustained various degrees of burns. Out of this, nine are males while four are females.”
According to him, the affected victims were attended to at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) for First Aid.
Farinoye also confirmed that four victims with severe injuries were quickly moved to the Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos.
He “Preliminary assessment of vehicles damaged indicated that about 25 were destroyed as at now.
“Comprehensive post disaster assessment on the extent of general damages would be done later today.”
According to him, Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Mr Hakeem Odumosu, led the team that took charge of crowd control and helped to restore normalcy.

Continue Reading

Trending