Connect with us

Auto

Lagos Govt restricts truck movement to 9pm-6am

Published

on

Lagos State Government has announced restriction on movement of truck and trailers on the Oshodi-Apapa expressway and other parts of the state to night time.

This was made known in a statement by Gboyega Akosile, the Chief Press Secretary to Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Thursday.

He quoted the state Commissioner for Transportation, Dr Frederic Oladeinde, as saying truck drivers would ply routes in the state only between 9pm and 6am daily.

 He noted that the move was crucial to ease the traffic gridlock especially along the Apapa axis of the state.

 “The Lagos State Government has proposed the implementation of route restrictions for trailer and truck drivers operating within the state, while their movement periods are restricted to night time.

Oladeinde said the current administration had mapped out dedicated routes to be plied between 9pm and 6am daily.

“He elaborated that the move was necessary as the Apapa in Lagos had been rendered less profitable for investors due to the gridlock and activities of truck drivers along the axis, appealing to the stakeholders to cooperate with the state government to remedy the situation.

 “Oladeinde urged them to put aside their sentiments and think of other motoring public as the policy was not meant to cause rancour, but geared towards opening up the state for greater economic realities.”

“The commissioner implored the stakeholders to see issues raised as work in progress while noting that discussions with the unions are ongoing until the grey areas are cleared.”

Criminal activities have been perpetrated in and around the Apapa-Oshodi expressway, including rape, theft and kidnapping owing to gridlock experienced around the area.

President Muhammadu Buhari had set up a task team headed by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo to find a lasting solution to the gridlock.

The team gave a 72-hour ultimatum to truck drivers to vacate the area.

Governor Sanwo-Olu also on assumption of office in 2019 had visited the area with the promise to ease the traffic but the situation has remained unchanged.

Auto

Shackman delivers another 400 Nigeria-assembled trucks to Dangote

Published

on

Dangote Group has taken delivery of additional 400 Shacman trucks assembled in Nigeria.

Transit Support Services Limited, assembler of Shacman vehicles in Nigeria, said this in a statement by the Head of the Public Relations and Media team at the Transit Support Services Limited, Iyere Ikhide.

The added that so far the Dangote Group had bought over 3,500 units of the truck from them since the entry of the brand into the country in 2016.

It stated that the Dangote-Shacman partnership which led to the resuscitation of the ANAMMCO plant in Enugu.

It described Dangote as the biggest customer of the South-East-based auto assembler, noting that the partnership had resulted in provision of more jobs for many youths; rejuvenation of the Onne Port in Rivers State and the attendant economic benefits.

The statement read in part, “Following the partnership deal and commitments to quality, the biggest customer of Shacman brand in Nigeria, Dangote Group, has taken delivery of additional 400 units of Shacman trucks.

“Dangote Group has since the entrance of Shacman vehicles into the Nigeria market through Transit Support Services Limited as Shacman Nigeria six years ago bought over 3,500 units of the brand.

“The recognition of Shacman as reliable heavy duty vehicles, and the growing need for such vehicles within the continuously expanding conglomerate influenced its decision to patronise the trucks. “Dangote Group has absolute trust in the quality of the locally assembled Shacman trucks that are backed by warranty that is of global standard and after-sale services.”

It recalled that the partnership started in 2016 with an initial order of 500 locally assembled Shacman trucks.”

The statement quoted the General Manager, TSS Motors, Mr Dave Chukwudulue, as saying, “We will continue to create value for users of Shacman trucks in Nigeria by supporting them with the best after-sale service programme. This has indeed resulted in the increasing demand for our trucks.”

According to the statement, Shaanxi Heavy Duty Automobile, manufacturers of Shacman heavy and medium duty trucks and road tractors, is one of the biggest trucks manufacturing companies in China.

It said over 4,500 Shacman trucks were running in Nigeria and listed some of its customers as BUA Cement, ABC Transport, AA Global logistics and NUSTANZA Motors.

Continue Reading

Auto

Hyundai wins EV charging station gold, other awards at global event

Published

on

Hyundai Motor has recorded an impressive performance, winning 14 awards for design excellence at the 2021 edition of the global iF Design Award.

Its electric vehicle charging station became the toast of the moment as the automaker carted home its third Gold award through the ‘E-pit ultra-fast charger’.

Founded in 1954 by iF International Forum Design GmbH in Hanover, a leading independent design institution, the iF Design Award is said to be one of the largest and most important design competitions in the world.

A statement by the Stallion Motors, the company’s representative in Nigeria and signed by Sonu Singh of the Media and Marketing said it was the Hyundai’s seventh consecutive year of honours at the prestigious global event.

Part of the statement read, “The company showed its range by winning design awards in categories such as product, communication, user interface, architecture, and professional concept

“Hyundai Motor Company triumphed at the world-renowned International Forum (iF) Design Award 2021 this week with 14 awards for design excellence, including iF’s top Gold award for the ‘E-pit ultra-fast charger’ for electric vehicle (EV).

“Hyundai Motor has now been honoured at seven consecutive iF Design Award events, including three coveted Gold awards, which go to only 75 of the best designs among nearly 10,000 annual entries.

“Hyundai triumphs across various disciplines such as product, communication, user interface, architecture, and professional concept. In particular, the company is recognized for its brand communication design with six awards in the communication category for the first time.”

It quoted Thomas Schemera, Executive Vice President and Global Chief Marketing Officer at Hyundai Motor, as saying, “This award is considered to be the part in which Hyundai has been fully recognized by global experts in the field of brand communication beyond product design.

“In the future, we will strengthen our activities to build an innovative brand image through creative and sustainable customer experiences.”

According to the firm, the ‘E-pit ultra-fast charger’ greatly improves user experience by solving several problems that are typically found in EV chargers such as bulky cables, complicated operation and service use, unclear charging status, hygiene (especially important during a pandemic) as well as production and maintenance.

“Inspired by the pit stops of Formula One racing, Hyundai Design Center designed E-pit to offer fast, easy, convenient and premium services to EV customers. It’s easy to use and provides a simple yet powerful design solution that considers a variety of things from hygiene to maintenance,” it added.

Senior Vice President and Head of Hyundai Global Design Center, SangYup Lee, said, “The E-pit design is the absolute result of our efforts to offer a new charging experience to customers.”

He added, “Innovative design comes out when the designer focuses on the user’s experience as the top priority.”

According to the statement, the E-pit’s design considers various charging scenarios based on the Hyundai Motor’s human-centred philosophy.

“For example, its large roof provides a comfortable charging experience regardless of weather conditions. Moreover, the auto-positioning feature, which automatically moves the charging cable, allows diverse charging positions for different vehicles,” it stated.

Continue Reading

Auto

Tesla driverless car explodes after crashing into tree

Published

on

Two men have died after a Tesla vehicle, which was believed to be operating without anyone in the driver’s seat, crashed into a tree on Saturday night north of Houston, authorities said.

After the fire was extinguished, authorities located two occupants in the vehicle, with one in the front passenger seat and the other in the back seat of the Tesla

The accident came amid growing scrutiny over Tesla’s semi-automated driving system following recent accidents.

The US auto safety agency said in March it had opened 27 investigations into crashes of Tesla vehicles.

“There was no-one in the driver’s seat,” Sergeant Cinthya Umanzor of the Harris County Constable Precinct 4 said.

The 2019 Tesla Model S was travelling at high speed when it failed to negotiate a curve and went off the road, crashing into a tree and bursting into flames, local television station KHOU-TV said.

Tesla and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said in January that he expected huge profits from the company’s full self-driving software, saying he was “highly confident the car will be able to drive itself with reliability in excess of human this year”.

Experts say the self-driving technology must overcome safety and regulatory hurdles to achieve commercial success.

-Reuters

Continue Reading

Trending