Connect with us

metro

Oyo: Angry residents burn Fulani settlement after herders attack motorists

Published

on

Motorists in three cars have been attacked by hoodlums suspected to be herdsmen in Eruwa, the capital of Ibarapa East Local Government area of Oyo State.

The incident, which occurred at Okolo in the Eruwa area, was said to have led to the burning of a Fulani settlement by some angry residents, according to a saharareporters’ report.

This came after the Commandant of Oyo State Security Network Agency (Amotekun Corps), Col. Olayinka Olayanju (retd), had declared that Ibarapaland was safe and free of killer herdsmen and kidnappers.

He also said many travellers who sustained injuries during the attack had been taken to an undisclosed hospital for treatment,

He however added that nobody was killed in the incident.

The state government on Monday said the Ministry of Health in the state had commenced the treatment of three victims of herdsmen attacks in Igangan area.

Commissioner for Health, Dr Bashir Bello, who spoke to newsmen in Ibadan, said that they were currently receiving treatment in a government hospital in Ibadan and in stable condition.

Bello stated that the decision to relocate the victims of herdsmen attacks to Ibadan was taken by Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde during his visit to Igangan last week.

He said that the governor had directed the state’s Ministry of Health to arrange for the state government to foot the hospital bills of the three victims.

A statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr.Taiwo Adisa, quoted the commissioner as saying that all necessary biomedical and laboratory investigations had been conducted on the three victims.

He added that the trio, namely Isaiah Seun, 26; Emmanuel Aderogba, 71; and Adekola Adeyemo, 65, had been attended to by both orthopedic surgeons and specialists, and that they were all doing well at the Ring Road State Hospital, Adeoyo.

He maintained that the cost of all the investigations done, laboratories’ investigations and the x-rays were taken by the state government, adding that the hospital management had been given the mandate to give the victims everything required without paying any bill.

According to Bello, Makinde gave his word at Igangan that the victims would be taken care of, even if it required tertiary health facilities’ attention, noting, however, that upon evaluation, it was discovered that the three cases could be managed properly by secondary health facilities.

He said, “Following the directive of His Excellency that the ministry should take charge of the three victims of herdsmen attack at Igangan. The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health, the Permanent Secretary of the Hospital Management Board and a team of medical doctors went down and combined with the chairman of Ibarapa North-West LCDA, and brought the three victims; one is Isaiah Seun, a 26-year-old bricklayer and commercial motorcycle rider before the injury occurred. He had a head injury and was fairly conscious and alert when brought in.

“The second was an elderly man of 71 years, Mr. Emmanuel Aderogba, with a fractured right radius. He is also being hospitalised. The third man is 65-years-old, Mr. Adekola Adeyemo, also with a head injury. He was a tree-felling machine operator.

“All of them have been taken care of; X-rays were done for those with fractures and head injuries. All necessary biomedical and laboratory investigations have been conducted. They have been attended to by both orthopedic surgeons and specialists necessary and they are all doing well now in the hospitals. They are all at Ring Road State Hospital, Adeoyo.

“I must mention that all attentions given, investigations done, laboratories investigations and the X-rays were free because the costs were borne by the state government.

“They will also be very happy to report on their state of health and the hospital management has been given the mandate to give them all that is required, that is, without any bills. All bills will be settled by the Hospital Management Board and the Ministry of Health.

“The governor gave the word that he will take special care of them even if it will require tertiary attention. But by our evaluation, it is a case that the secondary health care facility can properly manage. We thank the governor for the very positive action taken and we also thank him for his concern for the welfare of the citizenry entirely.”

metro

Sunday Igboho, others plan Lagos Yoruba Nation rally

Published

on

Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly called Sunday Igboho, is set to storm Lagos for Yoruba Nation rally.
Yoruba nation protesters have held rallies across South-West states such as Osun, Ogun, Ekiti and Ondo.
Igboho is expected in Lagos on July 3, 2021 at the Ojota park in continuation of the rally for creation of Yoruba nation.
An ardent supporter of Sunday Igboho, Alaba Shomuyiwa, popularly known as Baba Confirm, Prophet of El Adonai Cherubim and Seraphim International Bible Ministries, disclosed that Igboho and other supporters would be in Lagos, urging Yoruba to support the movement.
Igboho in the past weeks expressed dissatisfaction over the continuous activities of killer herders in the south-west region.
In the last rally held in Ekiti, Igboho declared the 2023 general elections would not hold in the region unless the Oduduwa Republic is created, calling on all stakeholders to support him and other leaders in achieving it.

Continue Reading

metro

Kebbi school kidnap: One student killed, five rescued

Published

on

Security forces have rescued four of the abducted students of the Federal Government College, Birnin-Yauri in Kebbi State attacked by bandits on Thursday.
They were rescued along with a teacher during a gun battle with the bandits on Friday morning that also left one of the abducted students dead.
Deputy Force Commander of the Joint Task Force in the North-West, Abubakar AbdulKadir, confirmed this to reporters on Friday.
The number of students abducted by the gunmen during the attack on Thursday afternoon is yet to be confirmed.
But local media reported that about 30 of the students were taken hostage.
AbdulKadir said the troops engaged the bandits in a gun duel on Friday morning, forcing them to abandon five of their captives.
“In the early hours of this morning, we have come across the kidnappers. They came to our blocking point, and we engaged them,” he said.
He added, “At that point, they abandoned five of the students and one of the teachers. Unfortunately, I think we have lost one of the students.”
The kidnap is the latest in a series of violent attacks targeted at schools in northern Nigeria.
About 700 students have been reportedly abducted in the attacks since December 2020.

Continue Reading

metro

Updated: Five burnt to death, 25 cars razed in Lagos tanker explosion

Published

on

Five people have confirmed dead in the gas tanker explosion that occurred on Thursday night along Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Lagos.
Three of the bodies were found inside one of the stores at the OPIC plaza by officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) around 7am on Friday.
The bodies were found while rescue team was searching for a child whose mother was rescued early Friday morning.
The woman, who was at the Chinese Restaurant, reportedly kept crying about her child when she was being evacuated to the hospital.
The officials who went from one room to the other in search of the kid reportedly discovered three bodies of men who got trapped by the fire.
The other two, including a child, were discovered by a vulcaniser who led FRSC officials on traffic control duty to the spot.
At least 13 other persons were injured after the gas tanker explosion which occurred at 10.30pm resulted in the destruction of 25 cars.
Four of the injured victims with severe burns who could not be attended to at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital were moved to the Trauma and Burns Centre of the Gbagada General Hospital.
Director General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed that five bodies had been recovered and 13 injured persons evacuated to the hospital.
He said the agency responded to a distress call shortly before midnight on Thursday concerning a tanker explosion which extended to the OPIC Plaza and damaged 22 parked vehicles within the premises.
“First responders worked to control the spread to the adjacent properties as well as the nearby petrol station until 0400hrs Friday.
“Thirteen people with various degrees of burns were rescued comprising nine males and four females. They were provided with pre hospital care before taken to Lagos State health facilities for further treatment
“The affected truck has been moved, the entire affected area cordoned off and post disaster assessment ongoing.”
Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, Acting Zonal Coordinator, South West Zonal Office, National Emergency Management Agency, confirmed the development in Ikeja on Friday.
He said the explosion threw the environment into panic due to the huge fire caused by the incident.
He said the explosion was reportedly caused by leakage from the gas tanker while in motion.
“The resulting fire travelled with the wind to the premises of Ogun State Property Investment Company (OPIC) Plaza besides Sheraton Hotels, which houses different commercial outfits including a Chinese Restaurant.
“The fire was put out at about 12.30am, after concerted efforts of five fire trucks from the Lagos State Fire Service and two trucks from the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency Response Unit.
“The initial search and rescue activities revealed that 13 persons sustained various degrees of burns. Out of this, nine are males while four are females.”
According to him, the affected victims were attended to at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) for First Aid.
Farinoye also confirmed that four victims with severe injuries were quickly moved to the Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos.
He “Preliminary assessment of vehicles damaged indicated that about 25 were destroyed as at now.
“Comprehensive post disaster assessment on the extent of general damages would be done later today.”
According to him, Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Mr Hakeem Odumosu, led the team that took charge of crowd control and helped to restore normalcy.

Continue Reading

Trending