Connect with us

News

Clearing agents arrested over ₦32bn cocaine at Lagos

Published

on

National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has intercepted cocaine worth N32bn concealed in a consignment at the Tin Can Port in Lagos.

Two clearing agents have been arrested in connection with the seized illegal substance, according to the agency.

The consignment was said to have been sent to Nigeria from Brazil aboard a vessel marked MV SPAR SCORPIO, which was placed on surveillance for some days before two clearing agents showed up on Monday to clear it.

The Commander, Tin Can Port Command of the NDLEA, Sumaila Ethan, said the clearing agents were arrested, while the consignment was searched and the substance weighing 43.11kg was found in it.

He said, “After a thorough search, we discovered 40 compressed parcels, which after laboratory investigations, tested positive for cocaine. The two clearing agents have been taken into custody, while we continue with the investigation. The seizure is no doubt an attestation to the renewed vigour in the operations of the agency.

“The Tin Can Port seizure followed the various seizures made at the Lagos and Abuja airports as well as in Edo, Katsina, Nasarawa and Benue states in the last three weeks.”

Chairman of the agency, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa, (retd.), while commending the team at the Tin Can Port, charged them and other officers and men from different commands across the country to remain vigilant.

He said, “The successes we recorded in the last three weeks can only serve as a challenge to raise the bar and do more. We’ll continue to do our best to motivate the officers and men of the agency, and we expect full commitment, dedication to work and discipline in return so that we can collectively achieve the goal of ridding our nation of illicit drugs.”

Continue Reading
15 Comments

15 Comments

1. asmr https://0mniartist.tumblr.com

April 10, 2021 at 2:37 pm

I think the admin of this website is actually working hard in favor of his site, because
    here every data is quality based material. 0mniartist asmr

2. asmr https://0mniartist.tumblr.com

April 10, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Hurrah, that’s what I was seeking for, what a stuff! present
    here at this web site, thanks admin of this site. 0mniartist asmr

3. 0mniartist

April 12, 2021 at 12:48 am

Does your website have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d
    like to shoot you an e-mail. I’ve got some ideas for
    your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great
    blog and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.
    asmr 0mniartist

4. signup.com

April 14, 2021 at 3:33 pm

This article will assist the internet viewers for creating new weblog
    or even a weblog from start to end. 0mniartist asmr

5. http://bit.ly

April 15, 2021 at 8:28 pm

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.

Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I
    can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about making my own but
    I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
    Many thanks 0mniartist asmr

6. gamefly this

April 28, 2021 at 2:39 am

Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Taking a
    few minutes and actual effort to generate a superb article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole
    lot and never manage to get nearly anything done.

7. is asmr

April 28, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many thanks, However I am
    having difficulties with your RSS. I don’t know why I can’t join it.
    Is there anybody having identical RSS problems? Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly
    respond? Thanx!!

8. in asmr

April 29, 2021 at 3:04 am

Wonderful, what a weblog it is! This webpage gives valuable data
    to us, keep it up.

9. asmr what

April 29, 2021 at 12:58 pm

It’s awesome to pay a quick visit this web page and reading the views of all colleagues concerning
    this piece of writing, while I am also eager of
    getting knowledge.

10. gamefly what

May 4, 2021 at 1:18 am

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but
    I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand.

It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your
    next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

11. this asmr

May 4, 2021 at 10:17 am

Hi to all, it’s genuinely a pleasant for me to go to see this website, it includes important Information.

12. tinyurl.com

May 7, 2021 at 8:19 am

Fine way of telling, and pleasant article to take data
    about my presentation topic, which i am going to deliver in academy.

13. an asmr

May 9, 2021 at 5:02 am

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a weblog web site?
    The account helped me a appropriate deal. I were a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided bright transparent idea

14. http://tinyurl.com/yzdfko4e

May 15, 2021 at 10:19 am

scoliosis
    Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you
    download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Thanks scoliosis

15. tinyurl.com

May 16, 2021 at 7:01 pm

scoliosis
    Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The text in your content seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
    I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web
    browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you
    know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue fixed soon. Cheers scoliosis

Your email address will not be published.

News

EFCC grills ex-Kwara gov, Ahmed, over N9n fraud

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has quizzed a former governor of Kwara State, Abdulfatah Ahmed, for allegedly diverting N9bn.
The former governor was grilled by an EFCC team of operatives from the commission’s headquarters at Jabi, Abuja.
Ahmed, on invitation of the anti-graft agency, was said to have arrived at the EFCC headquarters by 10am on Monday.
EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, confirmed that he was in their custody, but did not give further information on the development.
Ahmed had governed Kwara between 2011 and 2019.
Before then, he had served as commissioner for finance in the administration of Bukola Saraki, his predecessor.
Details of the allegations of fraud against him are still sketchy but TheCable understands the funds involved run into billions of naira.
This is the second time the former governor will be invited by the EFCC since he vacated office in 2019.
In December 2020, he was at the commission’s office after an invitation.

Continue Reading

News

Only 9% of miliraty budget spent on weapons – Gbajabiamila

Published

on

• DHQ: Nigeria needs N826bn annually to fund armed forces

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, says only nine per cent of the total budget of the military is spent on weapons.
He stated this at a public hearing on the Armed Forces Support Trust Fund (Establishment) Bill, organised by the House Committee on Defence on Monday in Abuja.

This came as the Defence Headquarters said Nigeria would need $2bn (about N826bn) annually to fund its armed forces to effectively combat the daunting challenges of insecurity facing the country.
This disclosure also came on Monday just it was revealed that some members of the Armed Forces currently engaged in the fight against insurgency and other criminal act are lobbying to be redeployed from the area where they are posted as a result of poor welfare.

Gbajabiamila said that appropriation records showed that about 91 per cent of the current funding of the Armed Forces was spent on recurrent overhead, salaries and welfare.
“This bill seeks to provide an injection of additional capital funding for the Armed Forces of Nigeria at a crucial time in our nation.

“I am sure many of you will wonder why the Armed Forces of Nigeria need an additional financial injection at this time.
“The fact based on appropriation records is that about 91 per cent of the current funding to the Armed Forces go on recurrent overhead, salaries and welfare, leaving only nine per cent for capital purchases.
“This reality has prompted this 9th House of Representatives to seek a way of providing funds that will be focused on the capital needs and training of our Armed Forces,’’ he said.
Gbajabiamila said that the importance of the bill is evidenced by the dwindling resources available to the Armed Forces to prosecute the various security operations it is involved in.
Gbajabiamila said that Nigeria’s expenditure on military hardware and training in the last five years was between nine per cent and 11 per cent of the budgetary allocation to the military.
He said that it was incapable of empowering the military to face the security challenges in the country especially the insurgency in the North-East.
Gbajabiamila said that to succeed in the fight against insecurity, the military would need more funding for modern weapons and training.
He said, “Nigeria is at war against insurgency, terrorism, kidnapping and all manner of insecurity; hence the need to uplift the resources available to our armed services to enable them procure the best tools to help win this war.
“So, what we seek to do in this bill is not new or unique to us as a nation; the solution to our security challenges requires asymmetric actions across many policy areas. This is what we have tried to do as the representatives of the people.
“The concept of a trust fund already exists for the Nigerian Police; it only makes sense to also bolster our military capability as well through this unique vehicle.”
Chairman, House, House Committee on Defence, Rep. Benson Babajimi (APC-Lagos) said that the bill sought to explore alternative sources of funding for the military.

Meanwhile, Director of Production, Defence Headquarters, Air Vice Marshal M. A. Yakubu, who spoke at the public hearing said even the sources of funding specified in the bill would be inadequate to tackle the problem.
He said the projection for funding in the Bill is estimated at about N100bn per year.
When established, the Support Trust Fund is expected to draw funds from one per cent of the total money accruing to the federation account; 0.5 per cent of the profit made from the investment of the National Sovereign Wealth Fund (NSWF) by the Nigerian Sovereign Investment, one percent of Value Added Tax (VAT) remitted to the Consolidated Revenue Fund (CRF) as well as any take-off grant and special intervention fund as may be provided by the Federal Government, states and local governments of the Federation.
It will also draw funds from one percent of the air ticket contract, charter and cargo sales charge to be collected by the airlines and paid to the support fund; Aids, grant and all assistance from international agencies, nongovernmental organizations and the private sectors; and Money derived from investments made by the Support Fund.
But AVM Yakubu said this will still be inadequate, saying “I have been a defence attaché in the United States of America from 2014 to 2017. I have been a Director of Procurement at the headquarters of the Nigerian Airforce for another two years.
“I have been a chief of logistics also at the headquarters Nigerian Airforce for another two years. So I am fully conversant with what it takes to run the affairs of a fighting Airforce.
“I also understand the limitations we have in Nigeria and what it should have been. I want you to understand how large is this problem we are trying to address before I make my point.”

Continue Reading

News

Insecurity: FCTA demolishes taxi park shielding criminals

Published

on

In a bid to eliminate criminal activities in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory Administration has demolished a taxi park reportedly turned into a drug addict’s colony and a haven for many other criminal activities.

FCTA said the place, located at NICON Junction in Maitama District, was supposed to be an interchange by the Abuja Master Plan, but temporarily made a taxi park to mitigate the hardship of commuters.

Director, FCTA Security Services Department, Adamu Gwari, said the taxi park had not only turned into an environmental nuisance but also a security threat that could not be allowed.

Gwari, who led other officials on the demolition exercise, also noted that in view of the persistent insecurity across the country, the administration is prepared to deal with all potential dangers to the residents.

His words: “In line with the city programme, this place is a taxi rank. But it has been highly abused and turned into nuisances. That is why we have to remove everything. This place has become a security threat and it breeds criminality. There are series of concerns from the residents regarding the rate of criminality which emanates from this place.”

Chairman,  FCT Ministerial Committee on City Sanitation,  Ikharo Attah said the FCT Minister  Malam Muhammad Bello was worried that the government’s efforts towards alleviating residents’ transportation difficulties were scuttled by miscreants.

Attah explained that the ministerial directive to immediately demolish the taxi park was meant to promptly address brewing insecurity within the highbrow Maitama District, saying the park was abused.

According to him, a place provided by the government to ease residents’ movement, unfortunately, had turned into a hiding place for drug addicts.

He vowed that the contravention won’t be allowed to remain an environmental nuisance that breeds insecurity within the neighbourhood and the territory in general.

Attah said: “This place is supposed to be an interchange according to the plans, but temporarily turned to a taxi park to manage transportation problems, but the place was abused. The place was turned into a home for drug addicts and has become dangerous for the neighbourhood.

“The Minister was clear when he gave a matching order that this nuisance is removed. The taxi park has become a contravention that can’t be allowed.

“All the concerned departments will ensure that the nuisance does not reappear because this place is the heart of Maitama District. The Minister has ordered that we should green the place, to add to the aesthetic of the city.”

Continue Reading