Connect with us

Business

FG approves new debt management strategy

Published

on

• Debt to GDP now 40%

The Federal  Government has approved a new Medium-Term Debt Management Strategy (MTDS) which has raised the total public debt as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product from 25 per to 40 per cent.

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) granted the approval on Wednesday at its meeting, adding that the new strategy would run in period of 2020-2023.

A statement by Debt Management Office (DMO) said that the new fiscal sustainability of the target would enable it to accommodate borrowings to fund budget deficits and other government obligations.

The DMO said that the government would issue promissory notes to settle government arrears and the Ways and Means Advance at the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Under the new strategy, domestic borrowing is targeted at 70 per cent, while external borrowing would be 30 per cent and optimise access to both concessional and commercial sources abroad.

An average tenor or 10 years is being targeted so as to ensure more effective management of the refinancing risks.

The DMO said, “The Medium-Term Debt Management Strategy (MTDS) is a policy document that provides a guide to the borrowing activities of government in the medium-term, usually four (4) years.

“It is recognised as one of the best practices in public debt management and is recommended by the World Bank (WB) and International Monetary Fund (IMF) to ensure that public debt management is driven by a well-articulated strategy that is structured to meet a country’s broader macroeconomic and public debt management objectives.

“The MTDS, 2020-2023 has been prepared by the Debt Management Office (DMO), in collaboration with relevant stakeholders (Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Central Bank of Nigeria, Budget Office of the Federation, National Bureau of Statistics and the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation).”

The new strategy, it said, “had to be re-worked to reflect the global and local economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and incorporates data from the revised 2020 Appropriation Act and the Medium-Term Expenditure Framework 2021-2023. Thus, the new MTDS adequately reflects the current economic realities and the projected trends.”

Continue Reading
29 Comments

29 Comments

1. asmr https://0mniartist.tumblr.com

April 10, 2021 at 11:45 am

Hi there colleagues, its impressive post about educationand
    fully explained, keep it up all the time. 0mniartist asmr

2. asmr https://0mniartist.tumblr.com

April 11, 2021 at 3:19 am

At this time it sounds like WordPress is the best blogging platform out there right now.

(from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?
    0mniartist asmr

3. 0mniartist

April 11, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Thanks , I’ve just been searching for information about this subject for
    ages and yours is the greatest I have came upon till now.
    However, what about the conclusion? Are you positive concerning
    the source? asmr 0mniartist

4. bit.ly

April 14, 2021 at 10:26 am

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across
    a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you,
    you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is something which too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy that I stumbled across this during
    my hunt for something relating to this. asmr 0mniartist

5. bit.ly

April 16, 2021 at 7:31 am

Can I just say what a relief to uncover someone
    who genuinely knows what they are talking about
    on the web. You actually realize how to bring an issue
    to light and make it important. A lot more people have to look at this and understand
    this side of your story. I was surprised you’re not more popular
    since you most certainly have the gift. 0mniartist asmr

6. gamefly in

April 28, 2021 at 2:31 am

Incredible points. Solid arguments. Keep up the amazing effort.

7. asmr was

April 28, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Good post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
    Thank you!

8. an asmr

April 29, 2021 at 1:57 am

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious knowledge concerning unpredicted feelings.

9. a asmr

April 29, 2021 at 11:28 am

If you want to take a great deal from this article then you have to apply
    such techniques to your won website.

10. gamefly what

May 3, 2021 at 9:11 pm

Thank you for some other great post. Where else may anyone get
    that type of information in such a perfect way of writing?
    I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the search for such information.

11. your asmr

May 4, 2021 at 4:56 am

Thanks for another informative website. The place else may I get that type of info written in such a perfect way?
    I have a undertaking that I am just now working on, and
    I’ve been at the look out for such info.

12. j.mp

May 7, 2021 at 10:34 am

whoah this weblog is fantastic i like studying
    your posts. Stay up the good work! You recognize, a lot of persons
    are looking around for this information, you could help them greatly.

13. where asmr

May 8, 2021 at 8:34 am

Good response in return of this issue with solid arguments and
    telling everything on the topic of that.

14. or asmr

May 9, 2021 at 5:15 am

Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one!

It’s on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

15. j.mp

May 15, 2021 at 7:58 am

scoliosis
    Wow, this piece of writing is good, my younger sister is analyzing such things, thus I am going to inform her.

scoliosis

16. http://bit.ly/3uT6S5F

May 16, 2021 at 11:46 pm

scoliosis
    It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions.

Perhaps you can write next articles referring
    to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

scoliosis

17. https://6869milesoflove.tumblr.com/

May 19, 2021 at 6:52 am

dating sites
    Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?

I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any
    recommendations? free dating sites

18. tinyurl.com

May 19, 2021 at 1:33 pm

scoliosis
    I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This article posted at this web site is truly nice.
    scoliosis

19. in asmr

May 21, 2021 at 9:26 am

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail
    on the head. The issue is something too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I’m very happy I found this in my search for something regarding this.

20. free dating sites your

May 25, 2021 at 10:30 pm

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your site.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire
    out a developer to create your theme? Exceptional work!

21. your dating sites

May 26, 2021 at 2:00 am

Outstanding quest there. What happened after? Thanks!

22. my free dating sites

May 29, 2021 at 4:19 pm

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable knowledge about
    unpredicted emotions.

23. surgery scoliosis their

May 30, 2021 at 5:45 pm

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or
    understanding more. Thanks for magnificent information I was looking
    for this info for my mission.

24. your surgery scoliosis

May 30, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the amazing work.

25. dating sites that

May 31, 2021 at 2:28 pm

Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with
    my facebook group? There’s a lot of people that
    I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me
    know. Thank you

26. dating sites or

June 1, 2021 at 5:03 am

It’s remarkable designed for me to have a web page,
    which is useful in favor of my know-how. thanks admin

27. http://tinyurl.com/y3gkp9vk

June 1, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?

I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a
    hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs
    and I’m looking for something completely unique.

P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!

28. tinyurl.com

June 1, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Really no matter if someone doesn’t understand then its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it occurs.

29. read more

July 21, 2021 at 1:40 am

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m attempting to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Your email address will not be published.

Business

NCC, telecom firms agree on 5G deployment

Published

on

All appears set for the deployment of 5G as the Nigerian Communications Commission and major telecoms companies have agreed on the guidelines.
The instruments are the Annual Operating Levy Regulations and the Frequency Spectrum (fees and pricing) Regulations.
The agreement came after a public inquiry organised by the NCC on the two key instruments at its headquarters in Abuja on Thursday, which was attended by Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Prof Umar Danbatta and representatives of major telecoms companies such as Airtel Nigeria, MTN Nigeria, Glo Mobile Network, 9Mobile, and other stakeholders.

The 5G wireless technology is meant to deliver higher multi-Gbps peak data speeds, ultra low latency, more reliability, massive network capacity, increased availability, and a more uniform user experience to more users.

While Airtel Nigeria agreed with key issues regarding the instruments, MTN Nigeria pleaded for extension of timeframe.
But Danbatta assured all stakeholders that frequency spectrum would be assigned and managed in a way that ensures fair pricing and efficient deployment of attendant services.
According to him, the two instruments were not only tailored to meet the challenges of the industry but ensure that all stakeholders are carried along as the country prepares for deployment of 5G technology.
Danbatta said, “More importantly, this Public Inquiry is precursor to the Commission’s current drive to ensure efficiency in spectrum management and the unveiing of next generation services through varied enablers.
“It is in that regard that the Commission issued a Spectrum Trading Guidelines in 2018, to ensure frequency spectrum is readily available to licensees through an effective process.
“Furthermore, the commission has commenced the process for deployment of Fifth Generation (5G) Technology in Nigeria and is driving the provision of such ubiquitous services on making Frequeney Spectrum available to its licensees.
“The efficacy and reliability of these initiatives will be hinged on proper market valuation of the frequency spectrum and fair assessment of levies.”

Continue Reading

Business

Inflow of foreign capital drops by 54% to $875.62m

Published

on

The total value of capital importation into Nigeria dropped to $875.62 million in the second quarter (Q2) of 2021, the National Bureau of Statistics has said.
According to the NBS, the figure represents a 54.06 per cent drop compared to the $1.91 billion in the first quarter (Q1) of 2021.

It stated this in its latest report titled, ‘Nigerian capital importation (Q1 & Q2 2021)’.
In 2020, Nigeria’s capital importation plunged by 59.65 per cent at $9.68 billion – the lowest level in four years.

“The largest amount of capital importation by type was received through portfolio investment, which accounted for 62.97% ($551.37m) of total capital importation,” the report stated.
“It is followed by other investments, which accounted for 28.13% ($246.27m) of total capital imported and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), which accounted for 8.90% ($77.97m) of total capital imported in Q2 2021.”
Capital importation into the banking industry dominated in Q2 reaching a total of $296.51 million, followed by financing with $205.88 million and shares with $194.59 million.
In both Q1 and Q2, brewing, fishing, hotels, tanning and weaving sectors had no record of capital imports, the report added.
Similarly, only Lagos, Ogun and the federal capital territory (FCT) recorded capital inflows across Nigeria in Q2.
Lagos emerged as the top destination of capital investment in the second quarter with $780.06 million, Abuja had $95.26 million, while Ogun had $0.3 million.
By banks, foreign firms emerged as the top capital investment in Nigeria in Q2. Stanbic IBTC recorded $310.21 million, Standard Chartered was second with $282.37 million, then Citibank ($94.15 million).
The report also stated that “the United Kingdom emerged as the top source of capital investment in Nigeria in Q2 2021 with $310.26m.”

Continue Reading

Business

Nigerians experience another nationwide blackout as grid collapses

Published

on

Most parts of Nigeria experienced total blackout on Wednesday after a national grid collapse, which electricity distribution companies confirmed in separate notices to their customers.
In a public notice sent out to consumers, the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company said the collapse occurred at 12.26pm but did not say how long it would last.
The notice read, “Dear Esteemed Customers,
Following a grid system outage that occurred at about 12:26 pm today, we have been unable to service our customers in Niger, Kogi and Nasarawa State as well as a significant part of the Federal Capital Territory.
“At the moment, only 20MW has been allocated to AEDC as against the over 400MW that they have been receiving in recent times.
“We urge our customers to be patient and promise that the power supply will be restored to our franchise area as soon as there is a significant improvement in our
allocation.”
In a similar notice, Eko Disco said, “Dear valued customer, we regret to inform you of a system collapse on the National Grid that’s causing outages across our network.
“We are working with our TCN partners to restore supply as soon as possible. Please bear with us.”
Ikeja Electric also sent out a message that read in part, “The current power outage is due to a nationwide system collapse that occurred at about 12:26hrs.
“Power supply will be restored gradually to various parts of the network as soon as the grid is stabilised. Kindly bear with us.”

Continue Reading