Connect with us

metro

Malami, Falana disagree on court order unfreezing #Endsars promoters’ accounts

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday ordered the Central Bank of Nigeria to immediately unfreeze 20 bank accounts linked to protesters and promoters of #EndSARS.

Justice Ahmed Mohammed gave the order after the withdrawal of a suit instituted against them by the CBN through its counsel, Michael Aondoakaa (SAN).

But the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), and the #Endsars promoters’ lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN) have sharply disagreed on whether the FG could be compelled to comply with the court order or not.

Malami, in an interview with Channels TV, said the Federal Government was not wrong to freeze the bank accounts of 20 #EndSARS campaigners, adding that “the decision to comply with the court order or not is not a decision that is a product of intimidation.”

Falana, however, said on Thursday morning also in an interview with the TV station that the CBN could not appeal the court judgment.

When the matter came up on Wednesday, Aondoakaa told the court that he had discussed with the counsel for the defendants and in the spirit of reconciliation, his client was withdrawing the suit.

Justice Mohammed then struck out the suit.

He stated, “All processes filed deemed to have been withdrawn in the spirit of reconciliation, the suit is hereby struck out. The order of November 4, 2020, freezing the accounts of the respondents is hereby set aside. An order is made de-freezing the accounts of the respondents immediately.”

The CBN had in an ex parte application filed on October 20, 2020, asked the court to freeze the accounts of the respondents which was granted by Justice Mohammed.

The court order was addressed to the head offices of Access Bank, Fidelity Bank, First Bank of Nigeria, Guaranty Trust Bank, United Bank of Africa and Zenith Bank.

The court directed the banks to freeze all transactions on the accounts on the list annexed to the CBN’s application as an exhibit for a period of 180 days pending the outcome of investigation and inquiry by the bank.

The 180 days lapsed last week.

Some of the bank accounts holders were Bolatito Oduala, Chima Ibebunjoh, Mary Kpengwa, Saadat Bibi, Bassey Israel, Wisdom Obi, Nicholas Osazele, Ebere Idibie, Akintomide Yusuf, Uhuo Promise and Mosopefoluwa Odeseye.

Also on the list are Adegoke Yusuf, Umoh Ekanem, Babatunde Segun, Mulu Teghenan, Mary Oshifowora, Winifred Jacob, Victor Solomon, Idunu Williams, and Gatefield Nigeria Limited.

Malam, however, said, “The decision to comply with the court order or not is not a decision that is a product of intimidation; government cannot be intimidated, government cannot in anyway be compromised as far as the exercise of its constitutional powers is concerned but that does not mean the government is perpetually inconsiderate.

“The bottom-line is that the public interest matters most in whatever decision the government arrives at, as far as compliance or non-compliance with the orders or judgments of the court is concerned. Intimidation is out of it, threats are out of it; constitutionality is the bottom-line.”

Falana urged the CBN to focuson its business of banking and refrain from jumping into the political terrain.

He also said his clients would drag the Federal Government and the CBN to court for trampling on their rights by unlawfully freezing their accounts last October.

metro

Bandits kill seven vigilantes in Zamfara, burn armoured vehicle

Published

on

Seven vigilantes otherwise known as Yan Sakai have been killed in an attack by suspected bandits on Dansadau town of Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
The armed criminals reportedly invaded the community around 3am firing several shots in the air and then went into some houses abducting 13 people, including women.
Dansadau, a community located 100km south of Gusau, the state capital, has suffered series of deadly raids.
The armed men decided to spike their assaults on the community after the local vigilantes extra judicially executed suspected bandits some months back.
The residents of the community also blocked the suspected bandits from getting foods such as bread and soft drinks from the local traders in the community.
The bandits who were apparently angered by the moves blocked the residents of the community who are largely farmers from accessing their farmlands in retaliation.
Dozens of farmers have been killed or abducted since the start of this year’s cropping season.
The spokesman of the state police command, SP Muhammad Shehu, could not be reached for comment at the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading

metro

Four policemen killed in Enugu gunmen attack on checkpoint

Published

on

Unidentified armed men have killed four policemen during an attack on a police checkpoint in Obeagu-Amechi community of Enugu South Local Government Area, Enugu State.
Besides the security operatives, many residents and passers-by, who ran into the incident, were reportedly killed or severely wounded by stray bullets during the gunfight.
The policemen were said to have repelled the attack, although there were casualties on both sides.
Eyewitnesses said the attack, which started at about 5:30 pm on Wednesday at a busy spot at Mmiri Ocha Amodu, lasted till 7pm.
A source, who craved anonymity, said he identified four policemen, one pastor and a neighbourhood watch officer among the dead who have been taken to the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku – Ozalla mortuary.
The source said, “The gun battle between the policemen and the unknown gunmen was too heavy.
“The entire area was thrown into confusion as everybody within the scene scampered for safety.
“We have not experienced this type of incident in this area. It happened along Obeagu–Amechi Road to Agbani Nkanu a few kilometres from Enugu State capital.”
However, the operatives of the Amagunze police division, who were quickly alerted, ambushed the gunmen as they attempted to escape and shot dead some of them, according to the source, who also added that a police patrol van was set ablaze by the gunmen during the attack.
The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Daniel Ndukwe, confirmed the incident but was silent on the number of casualties.
Ndukwe said: “Information surrounding the shooting incidents in the evening hours of today, 21/07/2021, where police operatives were allegedly attacked by yet-to-be-identified gunmen at checkpoints in Obeagu-Amechi in Enugu South LGA and Amagunze in Nkanu East LGA is still sketchy.”
He said preliminary investigation had commenced, assuring that further development would be communicated.
Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State has offered automatic employment to the wives of the slain police officers.
He also paid three-month salaries of their late husbands including other cash donations.
The governor announced the employment offer when he paid condolence visits to families of some of the slain police officers.
He, however, said the employment offer could be swapped for scholarship for their children up to secondary school.

Continue Reading

metro

Nine die, 16 injured in Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident

Published

on

Nine people have been confirmed dead in an accident involving two vehicles on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway on Wednesday.
Ogun Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Ahmed Umar, told the News Agency of Nigeria that apart from the nine that died, 16 other persons sustained varying degrees of injuries.
He said the accident occurred at about 3.45pm around Wich Tech Company, near Danco Station on the busy expressway.
He said the accident involved a commercial white Mazda bus, with registration number: APP 28 YE, and a blue Volvo truck, with no number plate.
The sector commander further stated that the accident involved 25 persons.
He said the corpses of the deceased had been deposited at the morgue of Idera Hospital, Sagamu, while the survivors were receiving treatment at the same hospital.
Umar said the cause of the accident could be traced to speed limit violation and overloading on the part of the commercial bus driver.
He added that the commercial bus lost control due to excessive speeding and rammed into the truck.
The sector commander said that clearing of obstruction caused by the crash by the FRSC officials and other sister agencies had commenced.

Continue Reading

Trending