Connect with us

metro

Updated: Makinde shuts Ibadan market, imposes curfew over bloody ethnic crisis

Published

on

Oyo State Government has shut Shasha market in Ibadan indefinitely and imposed a 24-hour curfew as the clash between the Yoruba and Hausa youths which started Friday in the market continued on Saturday.

The decision, according to Governor Seyi Makinde, follows the continued killings and destruction of property in the market.

Chief Press Secretary to Governor Makinde, Taiwo Adisa, confirmed the development on Saturday.

At least one person was killed on Friday and several others injured in a clash between some Yoruba youths and their Hausa counterparts in the market.

The clash, which resulted in many vehicles being vandalised, shops razed and houses destroyed,  continued Saturday morning with youths unleashing mayhem on one another.

Many residents of the area were said to have fled the place Friday night for fear of being attacked overnight.

Unconfirmed sources said the clash, which had extended to the other parts of market, had claimed three lives. But the Oyo State Police Command said only one life was lost.

In announcing the curfew, the governor said the decision was aimed at urgently restoring peace to the area.

Governor said the order was to forestall a breakdown of law and order in the area, adding that the curfew on Shasha and the market area was from 6pm to 7am.

He warned residents of the affected area to go about their legitimate business peacefully, stating that anyone found perpetrating violence would face the wrath of the law.

Adisa said, “Governor Seyi Makinde has directed the immediate closure of Shasha market indefinitely following reports of a breach of peace in the area.

“The governor has also approved the imposition of a curfew on Shasha. It will run from 6pm to 7am.

“Residents of the affected area are enjoined to go about their legitimate business within the hours stipulated by the law.

“Anyone caught disrupting the peace of the community will be made to face the wrath of the law.”

Sources said despite the deployment of police and security agencies in the area, some groups razed the market overnight, destroying shops, kiosk and wares of some traders.

The source said security operatives deployed in the area could not do much as they were only stationed by the main road while the market kept on burning.

The Yoruba youths were said to be hell bent on avenging the death of a cobbler after he was reportedly hit with charm by a Hausa cart pusher.

Amid the fear of an ethic uprising, many residents of Shasha community on Friday relocated from their homes to neighbouring communities.

Although the police said on Friday that critical stakeholders had been consulted to appeal to the people, the situation reportedly degenerated on Saturday morning.

metro

Sexual assault: Baba Ijesha granted N500,000 bail

Published

on

A Chief Magistrate, Oluwatoyin Oghre, on Monday granted a Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju James aka Baba Ijesha, bail.
in the sum of N500,000.
His lawyer, Adesina Ogunlana, confirmed this on Monday, saying, “He has been granted bail about one hour ago. We are working to perfect the bail. He was granted bail on health grounds.
“He has not been released. He will be released after his bail conditions have been met.”
Baba Ijesha was arrested on April 22, for allegedly sexually molesting a minor and remained in police detention due to the ongoing strike embarked on by the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria.
Lagos State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Moyosore Onigbanjo, SAN, had on May 4, noted that after due consideration of the case file forwarded to the Directorate of Public Prosecution by the police on April 30, 2021, a prima facie case was established against Baba Ijesha.
Onigbanjo stated that Baba Ijesha would be charged with sexual assault and defilement under the provisions of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The AG also hinted that the suspect would be charged under Section 135, with indecent treatment of a child punishable by seven years imprisonment; Section 137, defilement of a child, punishable by life imprisonment; Section 261, sexual assault by penetration punishable by life imprisonment; Section 262, attempted sexual assault by penetration, punishable by 14 years imprisonment and Section 263, sexual assault punishable by three years’ imprisonment.

Continue Reading

metro

2 cops killed, Imo police station, vehicles burnt in fresh attack

Published

on

Gunmen have killed two policemen in Ubakala Divisional Police Station in Umuahia, Abia State, after setting the station ablaze.
The gunmen were said to have attacked the station with explosives in the early hours of Monday and two of the policemen drafted to quel the station were killed.
The attackers also set ablaze all the vehicles on the premises.

Spokesman for the Police Command in Abia, SP Godfrey Ogbonna, confirmed the incident, adding that the hoodlums attacked the station just after midnight with explosives.
According to him, the operatives, who were deployed to reinforce security at the station, tried to repel the assailants.
“In the process, we lost two of our men,” he said, pointing out that the number of the attackers had yet to be ascertained.
The attack was said to have caused serious panic among residents of the community.
Gunmen have recently carried out attacks on police stations in Aba, Isialangwa, Uzuakoli and Nkporo.
They also attacked the offices of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency and Independent National Electoral Commission in Ohafia.

Continue Reading

metro

Niger communities excited as soldiers return to Bassa, Allawa

Published

on

Excited villagers on Saturday welcomed the return of soldiers to Bassa and Allawa towns in the Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State after a month of their quitting the area due to invasion of their camps by bandits.
The armed soldiers came in about 100 camouflage vehicles to begin a special operation in the area.
The return of the soldiers followed a series of meetings between the new General Officer Commanding (GOC), 1 Mechanised Division of the Nigerian Army, Kaduna, Maj-Gen. Danjuma Hamisu Ali-Keffi, the state government and other stakeholders in the state.
The military camps in Allawa and Bassa in the Shiroro Local Government of the state were shut down last month after bandits numbering about 100 invaded the Security Joint Taskforce camps in the two towns, killing 12 soldiers, burning the camps and some operational vehicles.
Another camp at Zagzaga in the Munya Local Government was also sacked a few days later during which one RSM was kidnapped and found dead three days after.
A senator representing Niger East Senatorial zone in the National Assembly, Alhaji Sani Musa, said, “It is a welcome development and a great relief to the people it should be sustained.
“The return of soldiers is a great relief for my people, and I want to thank and commend President Muhammadu Buhari and the military for the return of the soldiers.
“I will equally want to appeal to them to hasten the return of soldiers to other communities to enable the people go back to their homes to continue their farming business.”

Continue Reading

Trending