Connect with us

Business

Petrol: NNPC rules out ex-depot price increase as Abuja fuel queues spread

Published

on

There are fears over scarcity of petrol in Abuja and other cities as fuel queues that surfaced last week in the Federal Capital Territory has continued to spread.

A number of filling stations did not open for business on Sunday as they claimed to have run out of the product.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, however, says there are no plans to increase the ex-depot price of petrol in the next one month.

The ex-depot price is fixed by the Petroleum Products Marketing Company (PPMC), a subsidiary of the NNPC — it’s the price at which depot owners sell the product to retailers.

In a statement issued on Sunday, Kennie Obateru, group general manager of the NNPC public affairs division, disclosed the corporation’s decision not to increase the ex-depot price.

He also urged marketers not to increase price or hoard petroleum products, as the country has enough in its stock to last for more than 40 days.

“Contrary to speculations of imminent increase in the price of Premium Motor Spirit (petrol) in the country, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has ruled out any increment in the ex-depot price of petrol in March, 2021,” the statement said.

“The NNPC also cautioned petroleum products marketers not to engage in arbitrary price increase or hoarding of petrol in order not to create artificial scarcity and unnecessary hardship for Nigerians.

“The corporation stated that it has enough stock of petrol to keep the nation well supplied for over 40 days and urged motorists to avoid panic buying.

“It further called on relevant regulatory authorities to step up monitoring of the activities of marketers with a view to sanctioning those involved in products hoarding or arbitrary increase of pump price.”

Obateru added that the decision was taken “in order not to jeopardise ongoing engagements with organised labour and other stakeholders on an acceptable framework that will not expose the ordinary Nigerian to any hardship”.

In February, the NNPC had also allayed fears over the possible increase in the price of petrol, amid concerns on the rising price of crude oil on the global market.

Continue Reading
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. asmr https://0mniartist.tumblr.com

    April 10, 2021 at 10:38 am

    My brother recommended I might like this website.
    He was totally right. This publish actually made my day.
    You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thank you! 0mniartist asmr

  2. asmr https://0mniartist.tumblr.com

    April 10, 2021 at 11:29 pm

    Hello, Neat post. There is a problem with your website in web explorer, would check
    this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a huge component to other folks will miss your fantastic writing due to this problem.
    asmr 0mniartist

  3. 0mniartist

    April 11, 2021 at 8:36 pm

    I absolutely love your site.. Excellent colors & theme. Did you
    create this site yourself? Please reply back as I’m wanting to create my very own website and would like to learn where you
    got this from or exactly what the theme is named.

    Thanks! asmr 0mniartist

  4. j.mp

    April 15, 2021 at 3:01 am

    Hola! I’ve been reading your web site for some time
    now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from New Caney Tx!
    Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic job!
    0mniartist asmr

  5. j.mp

    April 16, 2021 at 4:02 am

    I was pretty pleased to discover this website. I wanted to thank you for ones time for this fantastic read!!
    I definitely loved every little bit of it and I have you book marked to check out new
    things in your website. asmr 0mniartist

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Business

Fears over food scarcity as Niger farmers flee

Published

on

AS bandits continue to attack and get away with their atrocities without serious challenge from security operatives, many farmers in Niger State have fled their farms and have vowed never to return until security is beefed up around them.

To underscore their seriousness, many of them have already relocated from the farming communities to Minna, the state capital, to escape the brutality of criminals variously described as bandits, kidnappers, hoodlums, cattle rustlers and armed robbers.

Things got to the worst in recent times when the criminals not only attacked and dispossessed the farmers of their possessions, but began to set their houses ablaze as a conquered people, leaving them with nothing to manage their lives with.

The bandits have successfully taken their atrocities to no fewer than 18 of the 25 local government areas of the state and are unwilling to halt their infamy despite threats from security agencies.

They appear to be more daring after being challenged by the security organisations, thereby sending fears into residents of the remaining local government areas.

Farmers whose areas have not yet been visited by the hoodlums now live in fear of possible attack by the daring bandits.

As a result of the unrelenting onslaughts by bandits on farmers, many have since abandoned farming and harvesting of their mature crops, a development that is already forcing an increase in the prices of foodstuff. Many of the farmers interviewed by Arewa Voice said they would not risk their lives by going back to the farms except adequate security is assured.

A yam farmer, Adamu Useni Allawa, who also cultivates maize and millet, lamented that although he was eager to return to his farm, he would only do so when there is improved security in the farms.

He said, “I am eager to go back to my farm but my fear is this insecurity. It troubles my mind to go back because of insecurity. Any time it pricks my heart to go back to the farm, I often have another premonition that going back there might be a journey of no return. I am not in any way preparing now because I don’t have the confidence. I don’t do any other work than farming but I cannot risk my life for farming as it is.

“I have a bitter experience, which is still fresh in my memory. It is about my uncle and his friends who the bandits met in their farms and shot them to death instantly without any sympathy. Some of these bandits after attacking and killing our people even run away with their seedlings and we are left with virtually nothing to start fresh planting. We have relocated to Pandogari and have become refugees in a strange environment, doing nothing.”

Another farmer, Umaru Adamu Allawa, said his hope rested on government to provide more security to enable him and others go back to their various farms.

Allawa said, “If the banditry situation continues like this, there is no hope for us to go back to the farm. Our yearly turnover is massive and even if we cannot feed the state or the entire nation, we can feed our zone that comprises eight wards in Shiroro Local government effectively.”

Bala Usman, a public servant who also is also a farmer, said, “With the present insecurity in my area-comprising Lakpma, Munyan and Rafi local government areas, the farmers are no longer able to go to their farms. The implication is that it will surely affect the economy of the areas concerned, the state and the country in general. That is why we call on government at all levels to intervene immediately in order to enable farmers go back to their farms.

“Even if we are supplied the necessary farming inputs like fertilisers, seedlings, among others, it will be difficult to transport them to the affected areas because of these bandits. Also, we will find it difficult to start all over again because apart from killing our people, the bandits also steal and burn down our seedlings and we are now left with virtually nothing to take off again.”

Shuaibu Yusuf, who is from Manta, one of the ravaged areas by bandits, said from the look of things, it will be very difficult for farmers in the troubled communities to farm this year.

The Permanent Secretary in the state Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Idris Usman Gbogan, however, assured the farmers that the Niger State government was aware of the security challenges and has taken steps to further protect lives and property of its people, especially those areas constantly raided by the bandits.

Gbogan told Arewa Voice in an interview that the state government has procured farming inputs in preparation for the coming planting season.

He said, “The step taken by the state government is to cushion the effect of transportation cost for the agro input companies as a way of reducing the cost of agricultural inputs.

By the first week of next month, the state Governor, Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello, will launch the 2021 farming season and, thereafter, all these agricultural inputs will be ferried to all parts of the state under tight security.

“As at now, we have one extension worker to about 5000 farm families which is not acceptable because the ideal situation is to have one extension worker to between 800 and 1,000 farm families so in each of our stores presently across all the 25 local government areas, we are going to position extension workers so that as the farmers come to buy their inputs, we have the extension workers who will educate them and give them necessary extension knowledge on the inputs they are buying from the stores.

Gbogan said despite the insecurity and other challenges, there is still hope for bumper harvest in the state and this is why government is ensuring that they get the necessary inputs they need.

The state Chairman of All Farmers Association of Nigeria, AFAN, Niger State Chapter, Alhaji Shehu Galadima, told Arewa Voice that banditry was a bad omen for the state and its people and should be tackled with immediate effect.

He said, “Last year, it was not easy for farmers because many of them could not conclude their farming processes. Some of them who fled their ancestral homes because of the bandits cannot even go back to their homes to get their seedlings and other property in readiness for this planting season.

“Just about two days ago, in Kuchi Town in Sarkin Pawa Local Government Area of the state, the entire community was sacked and the people had to run for their lives.

“Other places having similar problems are Shiroro, Mariga, Munyan and parts of Paikoro, Rijau, Mashegu local government areas, just to mention a few. They are all overwhelmed with this type of problem.

“We are afraid that this year’s farming is being seriously threatened and it is not going to be easy for our farmers in the state because of the security issues. If the lives and properties of people are not secured, nobody will be able to do anything.”

-Vanguard

Continue Reading

Business

NLC plans strike over Kaduna workers sacking

Published

on

The Nigeria Labour Congress says it will withdraw services from both public and private organisations in Kaduna State for five days to protest mass sacking of workers by the state government.

The decision to withdraw the services of workers was taken by the Central Working Committee (CWC) of the NLC at a meeting in Abuja on Thursday.

President of the NLC, Ayuba Wabba, said the five-day withdrawal of service by workers in the state will become total if there is no remorse from the state government.

He condemned the decision of Governor Nasir el-Rufai to sack close to 4,000 workers who are mostly from the 23 local government areas in the state.

Wabba said: “CWC has decided and has also recommended to the National Executive Council, that labour will withdraw all services from either public or private. This means all services for all sectors of the economy for five days in the first instance and where there is no remorse, it is going to be a total action.

“We thought that workers should not be allowed to die in silence because thousands of them that have been sacked have not been paid in line with the provisions of the law.

“More worrisome is the policy targeted at workers that have spent more than 30 years in service or some more than 20 years in service.

“In fact, the policy said that once you are up to 50 years in service, you will be disengaged and be sent off without any entitlement.

Wabba noted that the governor violated all the known laws that regulate labour and industrial relation in Nigeria.

He stated that some teachers disengaged by the state government were yet to receive their entitlements till date.

He added, “The entire working class in Nigeria has condemned the sack of thousands of workers in Kaduna. The CWC condemns the conversion of workers to casuals by the Kaduna State government under the pretext of paucity of funds or drop in revenue.”

Continue Reading

Business

FAAC shares N680bn to FG, states, LGs for April

Published

on

The Federation Accounts Allocation Committee on Thursday shared the sum of N680 billion among the three tiers of government.

The money was from the revenue that accrued to the federation in the month of March, which has been distributed to enable government meet its financial obligations for the month of April.

An official of the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning who disclosed the amount distributed, did not provide details of what each tier of government received.

He said that top officials of the ministry and the FAAC were preparing the communique/statement.

The general declining revenue profile of the nation has generated tension between the federal and state governments, of recent. The disagreement between officials of the two tiers of government over the poor revenue led to a stalemate at last month’s FAAC meeting, as learnt.

Those who are knowledgeable about the FAAC said the disagreement was responsible for the failure of the ministry to issue any communique last month.

The debate generated by Edo State Governor Godwin Obadeki’s claim that the federal government printed N60 billion to augment March Federation Accounts Allocations, has continued to generate reactions from different quarters.

Continue Reading

Trending