Connect with us

Sports

Man United end Man City’s 21 successive victories

Published

on

Manchester United Sunday evening subdued a previously unstoppable Man City and enhanced their top-four chances with two un-replied goals.

United, who have now gone 22 league away games unbeaten – including 14 wins – stunned City with a fast start and were ahead after a penalty was awarded inside the first 30 seconds when Gabriel Jesus fouled the impressive Antony Martial.

Bruno Fernandes scored from the spot despite City keeper Ederson getting a strong hand on the ball, then United fashioned the win with a mixture of solid defence and constant menace on the break.

Rodri almost equalised just after the break when his shot glanced off the angle of post and bar, but United effectively sealed the win – condemning City to their first loss since a 2-0 defeat at Tottenham on 21 November – when the outstanding Shaw, who had earlier missed a chance to double United’s lead, led a counter-attack, exchanging passes with Marcus Rashford before beating Ederson with a low shot.

Solskjaer’s team, who had not scored in their previous three games, moved back into second place, a point ahead of Leicester City in the increasingly tight fight for a place in the top four.

Martial missed a couple of second-half opportunities but fully deserved the applause he received from the United bench when he was replaced by Nemanja Matic late on.

Martial was not the only significant contributor. Goalkeeper Dean Henderson looked secure and confident as he kept another clean sheet, pressing his claims to be United’s number one with David de Gea away in Spain after the birth of his daughter.

United did the double over City last season and Solskjaer is the first United manager to win three successive away games against their arch-rivals since a run of four between November 1993 and November 2000.

He is also the first manager in United’s history to win his first three away meetings against City in all competitions.

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola told BBC Sport: “Congratulations Manchester United first of all. Ten games left, now we arrive the important part of the season. The last 10 games are important and we start next Wednesday. We will try to win as many games as possible to be champions.

“Against West Ham we played much, much worse than today. Against West Ham we didn’t deserve to win and maybe today we didn’t deserve to lose. We were not good in front of goal – our strikers were not brilliant today – but it happens.”

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told BBC Sport: “I’m delighted. We were on the front foot for 10-15 minutes but then the last half hour of the first half I felt we played too much on the result. We had to get to half-time to get hold of everyone again.

“The second goal was magnificent. Luke just showed what he is about. He was a massive doubt this morning and had to go through a fitness test to play. What a performance.

“We defended really well. We were more like ourselves with the ball attacking-wise.

“Anthony Martial was man of the match and he was an even bigger doubt than Luke. That was the Anthony we know – strong, positive and taking players on. I’m delighted for him.”

-BBC Sport

Sports

French Open: Djokovic beats Tsitsipas to win 19th Grand Slam

Published

on

Novak Djokovic on Sunday came from behind to beat Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-7 (6-8) 2-6 6-3 6-2 6-4 to win the 2021 edition of the French Open.
The Serbian top seed Djokovic by the victory has claimed his 19th Grand Slam title.
His opponent, the Greek fifth seed Tsitsipas, was appearing in maiden major final.
“I tried my best,” says Stefanos Tsitsipas, but his speech is almost drowned out by the fifth seed’s adoring fans in the Chatrier crowd.
He says, “I had a good run and am happy with myself, but let’s give it to Novak because he has shown us over the past couple of years what a great champion he is.
“I am inspired by the things he has achieved and I hope one day I can maybe do half of what he has done so far!
“I would like to thank the Greek fans who came, my team who have been constantly backing me up and helping me achieve my dreams. It is a difficult journey and takes a lot of work every day.
“I hope to be back next year and put out a good show again.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Eriksen may not play football again, after recovery– Cardiologist

Published

on

Christian Eriksen is not likely to play football professionally again after his collapse during the Euro 2020 match between Denmark and Finland, an expert has said.
The former Spurs midfielder suddenly fell to the ground just before half time and was treated on the pitch before being taken to hospital, where he remains in a stable condition.
Sanjay Sharma, a professor of sports cardiology at London’s St George’s University, said there were several reasons Eriksen could have suffered a cardiac arrest, such as high temperatures or an unidentified condition.
“Clearly something went terribly wrong,” he said. “But they managed to get him back, the question is what happened? And why did it happen?
“This guy had normal tests all the way up to 2019 so how do you explain this cardiac arrest?”
Sharma also said that it would be up to both the player and the club to assess the risks of continuing to play but claimed that the English FA would probably not allow him to play.
“I don’t know whether he’ll ever play football again,” he added. “Without putting it too bluntly, he died today, albeit for a few minutes, but he did die and would the medical professional allow him to die again? The answer is no.
“I think the Football Association will be very strict about whether he plays again or not. In the UK he wouldn’t play. We’d be very strict about it.”
One of the doctors who treated Bolton Wanderers footballer Fabrice Muamba said it would take time to establish whether Eriksen could make a complete recovery.
Cardiologist Dr Sam Mohiddin told BBC News, “It sounds like he has had successful CPR and he has regained normal cardiac rhythm because of defibrillation but there are other things that will have to be worked through.”
He said that some stars with underlying heart disorders have had to stop playing sport because they are considered to be at risk.
Dr Mohiddin added, “The moment of extreme peril is the time of the cardiac arrest and treating that is a matter that requires people to promptly recognise what is happening and really address it quickly with CPR and a defibrillator.
“CPR saves lives. Most of us should learn how to perform CPR for all sorts of reasons and not just because cardiac arrests can affect sportspeople. Many other people will die of cardiac arrest.”
Fabrice Muamba suffered a cardiac arrest during the first half of Bolton’s FA Cup quarter-final at Tottenham Hotspur in March 2012.
He recovered but announced his retirement from professional football six months later, aged 24. More recently he has worked as a youth coach.

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Federer pulls out of French Open

Published

on

Roger Federer has withdrawn from the French Open after winning and qualifying to the fourth round, citing a desire not to rush his return from injury.

The 39-year-old Swiss prevailed 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 over Dominik Koepfer on Saturday night.

It was the longest match he has played in 18 months, following double knee surgery. The contest lasted three hours and 35 minutes.

The 20-time grand slam winner has played few tournaments over the past 18 months and said a need to rest his body was behind his decision to withdraw.

Federer was due to play the ninth seed Matteo Berrettini in the last 16 on Monday.

In a statement released by the French Open, Federer said, “After discussions with my team, I’ve decided I will need to pull out of Roland Garros today (Sunday).

“After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation, it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery.

“I am thrilled to have gotten three matches under my belt. There is no greater feeling than being back on court.”

Tournament director Guy Forget said, “The Roland Garros tournament is sorry about the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who put up an incredible fight last night.

“We were all delighted to see Roger back in Paris, where he played three high-level matches. We wish him all the best for the rest of the season.”

Federer entered the clay-court major with a 1-2 win-loss record for the year, most recently losing to Pablo Andujar in Geneva last month, and little was expected from him.

However, three wins on the spin showed he is not finished yet at the highest level.

His withdrawal suggested he wants to preserve himself for Wimbledon, which starts at the end of the month.

Continue Reading

Trending