Connect with us

News

Buhari can work from anywhere, he’s internet savvy, says Garba Shehu

Published

on

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari can work from anywhere and attend to documents, as he is internet savvy.

Shehu also berated critics over insinuations that President Muhammadu Buhari embarked on an emergency medical trip to the UK, noting that there was no emergency and that it was routine medical checks.

Speaking on ChannelsTV, ‘Politics Today’ on Tuesday night, Garba said, “It is a medical trip, and there is absolutely no urgency or emergency.

“The President is not in any sick condition. It’s a routine medical checkup. The President has done this with a set of doctors that he has known over many years even before he came into office in 2015 and has continued to do that without any disruption.

“For last year, 2020, he couldn’t make it because of travel restrictions that were caused by COVID-19. It’s a routine and we are hoping that the President comes back after the check-up.”

Asked if doctors visited the President during the lockdown in 2020, Garba said, “The President enjoyed good health. When his classmates come visiting, you will know that the President is doing well. He chose this moment because it’s like a holiday season as Friday is a national holiday. So he’s taking advantage of the Easter season.”

Asked if President Buhari transmitted power to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Garba Shehu said the President was internet savvy.

He said, “He will continue from wherever he is. The requirement of the law is if the President is going to be absent for 21 days or more, then the transmission is warranted. So, in this particular instance, it is not warranted.”

On what would be done if there was a need to assent to documents, the presidential spokesman said, “Before he left, he just finished a meeting with security chiefs.

“He had excellent chat with the Vice President, Secretary to the Government of the Federation and the Chief of Staff. So, he has taken it all around.

“If it is warranted, these are transmissible by wire. The internet is there and the President is equally internet savvy. Therefore, work can continue without any obstruction from wherever he is.”

News

Army: We follow int’l procedure in treating ex-insurgents, not pampering

Published

on

The army is not pampering surrendered Boko Haram terrorists, Christopher Musa, the theatre commander of the North-East Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai, has said.

He stated this in an interview with journalists on Wednesday, explaining that the military’s decision to allow insurgents to surrender to troops was in line with international laws and best practices.

According to him, when an enemy surrenders during combat, the capturing forces are, by law, not to shoot that individual.

He said the army is also expected to treat the surrendered enemy humanely.

“I don’t know if people misunderstood humane treatment as being pampering, because if he is sick, we are supposed to treat him. If he is hungry, we are supposed to give him food; we are supposed to provide him shelter just like any other person and that is exactly what we are doing,” he said.

He also said, “There is no aspect of pampering. We are just keeping them as humans to ensure that they are fit enough to go through proper procedure and they will definitely go through this procedure.

“Again, let me assure the public that there is no aspect of pampering. We are sorting them out so that those that didn’t play any part will be handled separately, while those ones that took part actively — the combatants — will be treated separately.

“We want to reassure the citizenry that we are on top of the game. We assure them that we will continue to do our best to ensure that peace returns to the North-East, which is our mandate.”

The theatre commander advised other insurgents to also surrender now that they had the opportunity to do so.

“I am sure that even they too want their children to have a conducive atmosphere, where they will grow and where there will be development. This is because staying in the bush and killing people will not provide that,” he said.

“They should not allow anybody to deceive them into taking arms against the nation. They will never win and they can never win.

“It is important for them to understand that anybody who disarms will be treated fairly according to international laws.”

Continue Reading

News

UNGA: Nigeria ready to reverse biodiversity loss, says Buhari

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari says the Federal Government has initiated some specific actions to reverse the severe trend of biodiversity loss affecting the world.

The President spoke in New York, at the hybrid High-Level event tagged “Transformative Actions for Nature and People” on the margins of the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA 76).

Buhari championed regional and inter-regional cooperation towards addressing the scourge.

He outlined other measures to include: “Expansion of protected areas including the establishment of ten (10) new National Parks across the country as well as the creation of Marine Protected Areas pursuant to the 30X30 Agenda of the Convention on Biodiversity (CBD); and domestication of relevant International Agreements, Conventions as well as Laws and Policies for the protection and conservation of biodiversity.”

The President, in a statement issued by his spokesman, Femi Adesina, added, “Leveraging the cooperation and partnerships of the development partners as well as international organisations and coalitions for concrete action against deforestation and biodiversity loss; and promotion and increased investments in climate-positive and nature-positive economy for sustainable environment and land use practices” were other areas being worked on to confront the challenge.”

He expressed gratitude to the President of Costa Rica, Carlos Alvarado Quesada, whose country currently chairs the High Ambition Coalition for Nature & People (HAC) of which Nigeria is also a member and co-chair for the opportunity to be part of “this great event.”

Continue Reading

Latest News

IPOB: There’ll be one-month lockdown in south-east if FG fails to bring Kanu to court

Published

on

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) says the south-east region will go on a one-month lockdown, if the federal government fails to bring Nnamdi Kanu, its leader, to court on October 21.

Advertisement

On July 26, Binta Nyako, judge of the federal high court, Abuja, adjourned the trial of Kanu till October 21, owing to the failure of the federal government to produce him in court.

In June, Nnamdi Kanu was arrested and extradited to Nigeria to face trial. He was remanded in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) after he was re-arraigned before the judge.

On August 9, the proscribed group announced the enforcement of a lockdown every Monday until Kanu is released but later suspended the directive, a few days later.

Advertisement

Reacting, IPOB, in a statement, by Emma Powerful, its spokesperson, alleged that the federal government has perfected plans not to bring Kanu to court on the next adjourned date.

The group said its “peaceful resolution” towards the trial of Kanu should not be misconstrued as weakness, while stressing that there will be one month lockdown in the south-east, if the federal government fails to bring Kanu to court.

“The attention of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) ably led by our great prophet and liberator of our time, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has been drawn to the plot by Nigeria government and DSS in Abuja not to produce our leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu to court on 21st October 2021, the date he is due to appear in court to start his case,” the statement reads.

Advertisement

“The federal government of Nigeria has again perfected plans not to bringing him to court on that day. Their wicked plan is to perpetually keep him behind bars without trial to see if they can demoralise him and Biafrans but they are late.

“If the federal government refuses to bring him to court in his next court appearance on October 21, 2021, the entire Biafra land will be on total lock down for one month. The federal government will know that they cannot take us for granted any more. Our peaceful disposition as a people should not be misconstrued as weakness.

“Their plan is to suppress agitation and force everyone into submission but Biafrans won’t succumb to their intimidation.”

Continue Reading

Trending