Connect with us

Uncategorized

Tension in Ekiti as gunmen attack traditional ruler

Published

on

The Ekiti State Council of Obas has expressed worry over the attack of Adetutu Ajayi, the traditional ruler of Ewu Ekiti in the Ilejemeje Local Government  Area of Ekiti State by some gunmen.

Ajayi was shot reportedly shot by the hoodlums on Friday night while he was on his way to Ayetoro Ekiti, a neighbouring community in the Ido/Osi LGA.

The traditional ruler, however, escaped with injuries on his legs, arms and stomach, and he is currently receiving treatment in an undisclosed tertiary medical facility.

Chairman of the Council of Obas, Adebanji Alabi, who described the rise in criminal activities in the country as worrisome, urged the government and security agencies to raise their level of surveillance in the state with a view to reducing crime.

Spokesman for the state police, Sunday Abutu, who confirmed the attack on the monarch, said the command was worried that such an attack could happen despite joint security patrol and raiding of black spots in the area.

He, however, said the police command remained committed to ridding the state of criminals.

Abutu said the command would continue to work with other security agencies to ensure that criminality was wiped out in Ekiti.

 

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

CJN orders sanction against judge over criminal summons on Soludo

Published

on

Chief Justice of Nigeria, Ibrahim Muhammad, has ordered a disciplinary action against the Upper Area Court Judge for issuing a direct criminal summons against Prof. Charles Soludo, an ex-Central Bank of Nigeria governor.

The judge issued the criminal charges against the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) for the Anambra State poll over alleged serial abuse of office and breach of code of conduct for public officers when he was CBN governor between May 29, 2004, and May 29, 2009.

The judge had on August 23, 2021 issued a direct criminal summons against Soludo over perjury, corruption, and false assets declaration, which is completely outside the jurisdiction of the Upper Area Court.

Trial on criminal charges on false declaration of assets is exclusively vested in the Code of Conduct Tribunal but the Upper Area Court Judge assumed jurisdiction contrary to the provisions of the 1999 Constitution.

The Judicial Service Commission billed to discipline the judge is under the chairmanship of the Acting Chief Judge, Hussein Baba Yusuf.

The CJN had met with chief judges of the FCT, Rivers, Kebbi, Cross River, Jigawa, Anambra, and Imo states on Monday, September 6, 2021, and directed some of them to admonish the judges in their jurisdictions on the danger of granting ex parte injunctions.

The acting Chief Judge of the FCT is expected to submit his findings to the CJN within 21 days.

 

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Buhari appoints Fatima Waziri-Azi as NAPTIP DG

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Fatima Waziri-Azi as the director-general of the National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP).

She replaces Basheer Mohammed as the head of the agency.

The appointment was confirmed on Wednesday in a statement signed by Garba Shehu, senior special assistant on media and publicity to the President.

Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, reportedly recommended Waziri-Azi for the appointment.

Farouq was said to have expressed the “urgent need for the ministry to intensify the existing capacity in the NAPTIP to achieve its key result areas as identified.”

Waziri-Azi’s recommendation was reportedly based on her “pedigree, vast experience and proven track record to drive the agency forward and consolidate on what has been achieved so far.”

The new NAPTIP DG is a former head of the Department of Public Law at the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.

She is an advocate against domestic and sexual-based violence.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

7 Family Members Of Kajuru Emir Freed After 2 Months In Captivity

Published

on

Seven family members of Alhaji Alhassan Adamu, the emir of Kajuru, have regained freedom after two months in captivity.

They were released on Wednesday after an undisclosed ransom payment.

Among those released are three women, three male and an infant ‎

Daily Trust had reported how bandits stormed the emir’s residence on July 11, 2021, and abducted him alongside 12 others.

But he was released 24 hours after the abduction.

Confirming the release of the victims, a title holder in the emirate, Dan Iyan Kajuru Saidu Musa, said children and grand children of the emir were still in captivity.

The monarch had shed tears publicly when his subject welcomed him shortly after his release.

Continue Reading

Trending