Connect with us

metro

12 police killed as gunmen attack Rivers, A/Ibom checkpoints, police stations

Published

on

Twelve police including officers have been killed in separate gunmen attacks on police checkpoints, police stations and headquarters in Rivers and Akwa Ibom states.

Rivers police command spokesman, Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed on Saturday that seven police officers were killed.

He said the attack occurred on Friday night at two police stations and a checkpoint, adding that vehicles belonging to the Rivers command were also set ablaze.

Two of the attackers were also said to have been shot dead.

“The incident which led to the death of seven policemen occurred last night at about 2030hrs, where unknown gunmen driven in two branded Hilux vans, attacked the special checkpoint at Choba Bridge, where in a surprise attack, killed two policemen on duty and set ablaze a private car belonging to one of the Policemen,” Omoni said in a statement.

He also said, “A similar attack was launched at Rumuji Police Station by the same hoodlums who killed two Policemen on duty and burnt a Police patrol vehicle.

“However, a stiff resistance by the Police prevented the hoodlums from gaining access into the police station. In the course of exchange of fire, two of the attackers were fatally wounded and died on the spot.

“The third attack at Elimgbu Police Station was equally resisted by the Police, though three officers were killed in that attack, but the serious fire engagement made them to abandon their bullet riddled Hilux van, while they escaped with various degrees of gunshot wounds with a snatched Sienna bus.

“The continued engagement by the police also forced them to abandon the Sienna car they were using to escape at the Refinery Junction, while their remnants again escaped with bullet wounds.”

The police spokesman added that the corpses of the deceased officers had been deposited in the mortuary, and calm restored to the area.

He also noted that Rivers police commissioner, Eboka Friday, had launched an investigation into the incident, while a police team is currently on the trail of the attackers.

This happened despite a curfew imposed in Rivers days after nine security operatives of the army, police and the Nigerian Customs Service were killed at various checkpoints around the state.

In Akwa Ibom State, five policemen and one woman were killed during a Saturday dawn attack at the divisional police headquarters, Odoro Ikpe in the Ini Local Government Area.

Chairman of the council, Mr Israel Adaisin, who confirmed the incident in a statement on Saturday, blamed members of the Eastern Security Network (ESN) for the attack.

According to him, the gunmen invaded the divisional police station around 2.45am and killed five police officers.

He said they also killed one woman, burnt several vehicles and destroyed other facilities.

He said eyewitnesses told him the gunmen, numbering more than 40, arrived at the council headquarters in two buses and a Sienna car.

The chairman said, “They arrived at Ini Local Government Area with sophisticated weapons, broke into the police facility at precisely 2.45am, killing five policemen on duty, burning of vehicles while inflicting injuries on others.”

He added some police officers who attempted to repel the gunmen were overrun.

Adaisin, who visited the scene of the attack with member representing Ini Constituency in Akwa Ibom Assembly, Emmanuel Bassey, appealed for calm while condoling with the victims.

He said, “I can confirm that gunmen arrived at the Ini Local Government Area with two buses and one Sienna car on Saturday at 2.45 am numbering more than 40 men, killed 5 policemen on duty and one woman at Odoro Ikpe Police Station while burning several vehicles during the attack.

“I want to also extend my heartfelt condolences to the fallen heroes families and the Nigeria Police Force who died in the line of duty.

“I want to also thank the youths of the Ini Local Government Area who were proactive in raising alarm which was the needed force that helped to reduce the level of casualties which would have been recorded as a result of the attack.

“I urge the good people of the Ini LGA to stay calm as we are working with relevant security agencies and the government of Akwa Ibom State to ensure that the situation is contained and necessary modalities are being put in place to forestall a reoccurrence.

“There is no cause for fear as the culprits will be brought to book in no distant time.”

metro

Sunday Igboho, others plan Lagos Yoruba Nation rally

Published

on

Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly called Sunday Igboho, is set to storm Lagos for Yoruba Nation rally.
Yoruba nation protesters have held rallies across South-West states such as Osun, Ogun, Ekiti and Ondo.
Igboho is expected in Lagos on July 3, 2021 at the Ojota park in continuation of the rally for creation of Yoruba nation.
An ardent supporter of Sunday Igboho, Alaba Shomuyiwa, popularly known as Baba Confirm, Prophet of El Adonai Cherubim and Seraphim International Bible Ministries, disclosed that Igboho and other supporters would be in Lagos, urging Yoruba to support the movement.
Igboho in the past weeks expressed dissatisfaction over the continuous activities of killer herders in the south-west region.
In the last rally held in Ekiti, Igboho declared the 2023 general elections would not hold in the region unless the Oduduwa Republic is created, calling on all stakeholders to support him and other leaders in achieving it.

Continue Reading

metro

Kebbi school kidnap: One student killed, five rescued

Published

on

Security forces have rescued four of the abducted students of the Federal Government College, Birnin-Yauri in Kebbi State attacked by bandits on Thursday.
They were rescued along with a teacher during a gun battle with the bandits on Friday morning that also left one of the abducted students dead.
Deputy Force Commander of the Joint Task Force in the North-West, Abubakar AbdulKadir, confirmed this to reporters on Friday.
The number of students abducted by the gunmen during the attack on Thursday afternoon is yet to be confirmed.
But local media reported that about 30 of the students were taken hostage.
AbdulKadir said the troops engaged the bandits in a gun duel on Friday morning, forcing them to abandon five of their captives.
“In the early hours of this morning, we have come across the kidnappers. They came to our blocking point, and we engaged them,” he said.
He added, “At that point, they abandoned five of the students and one of the teachers. Unfortunately, I think we have lost one of the students.”
The kidnap is the latest in a series of violent attacks targeted at schools in northern Nigeria.
About 700 students have been reportedly abducted in the attacks since December 2020.

Continue Reading

metro

Updated: Five burnt to death, 25 cars razed in Lagos tanker explosion

Published

on

Five people have confirmed dead in the gas tanker explosion that occurred on Thursday night along Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Lagos.
Three of the bodies were found inside one of the stores at the OPIC plaza by officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) around 7am on Friday.
The bodies were found while rescue team was searching for a child whose mother was rescued early Friday morning.
The woman, who was at the Chinese Restaurant, reportedly kept crying about her child when she was being evacuated to the hospital.
The officials who went from one room to the other in search of the kid reportedly discovered three bodies of men who got trapped by the fire.
The other two, including a child, were discovered by a vulcaniser who led FRSC officials on traffic control duty to the spot.
At least 13 other persons were injured after the gas tanker explosion which occurred at 10.30pm resulted in the destruction of 25 cars.
Four of the injured victims with severe burns who could not be attended to at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital were moved to the Trauma and Burns Centre of the Gbagada General Hospital.
Director General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed that five bodies had been recovered and 13 injured persons evacuated to the hospital.
He said the agency responded to a distress call shortly before midnight on Thursday concerning a tanker explosion which extended to the OPIC Plaza and damaged 22 parked vehicles within the premises.
“First responders worked to control the spread to the adjacent properties as well as the nearby petrol station until 0400hrs Friday.
“Thirteen people with various degrees of burns were rescued comprising nine males and four females. They were provided with pre hospital care before taken to Lagos State health facilities for further treatment
“The affected truck has been moved, the entire affected area cordoned off and post disaster assessment ongoing.”
Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, Acting Zonal Coordinator, South West Zonal Office, National Emergency Management Agency, confirmed the development in Ikeja on Friday.
He said the explosion threw the environment into panic due to the huge fire caused by the incident.
He said the explosion was reportedly caused by leakage from the gas tanker while in motion.
“The resulting fire travelled with the wind to the premises of Ogun State Property Investment Company (OPIC) Plaza besides Sheraton Hotels, which houses different commercial outfits including a Chinese Restaurant.
“The fire was put out at about 12.30am, after concerted efforts of five fire trucks from the Lagos State Fire Service and two trucks from the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency Response Unit.
“The initial search and rescue activities revealed that 13 persons sustained various degrees of burns. Out of this, nine are males while four are females.”
According to him, the affected victims were attended to at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) for First Aid.
Farinoye also confirmed that four victims with severe injuries were quickly moved to the Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos.
He “Preliminary assessment of vehicles damaged indicated that about 25 were destroyed as at now.
“Comprehensive post disaster assessment on the extent of general damages would be done later today.”
According to him, Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Mr Hakeem Odumosu, led the team that took charge of crowd control and helped to restore normalcy.

Continue Reading

Trending