Connect with us

Education

JAMB may shift UTME date – Registrar

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it may shift the date for the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The Registrar of the board, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, said this during a virtual meeting with 2021 UTME Committee members that over 600,000 candidates who indicated interest in sitting for the exams, were yet to register.
he exam is scheduled for between June 5 and June 19.
He said the candidates were finding it difficult to register due to the challenges of National Identification Number (NIN).
He said so far, 1.1 million candidates have registered for the 2021 UTME, stating that the board anticipated approximately 1.9 million registrations at the end of the exercise.
The JAMB boss noted that though 50 per cent of candidates have already registered without problem, there is need to carry everyone along.
He said, “The possibility of shifting the exam forward is still high; but that will be determined after our meeting with stakeholders.
”This is because about 600,000 candidates who have indicated interest in the exam are yet to register. There is a need to give everyone the opportunity.”

Oloyede apologised for the new initiatives introduced in the 2021 UTME, saying that it was not to punish candidates but to expose candidates in the habit of indulging in various forms of malpractices.
He added that candidates were expected to provide two pictures on the candidate slip, picture of the person who registered at the JAMB office, and a picture of the owner of the name who registered with NIN.
Oloyede said the candidates should take note of the process, stressing that the essence was to detect any disparity in the process.

Education

JAMB candidates of 24 delisted centres get new schedule

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has asked candidates scheduled to take the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in 24 delisted centres to print new examination notification slips.

JAMB’s Head of Protocol and Public Affairs, Fabian Benjamin, gave the instruction in a statement obtained on Monday.

He asked the candidates to start printing their notifications from Sunday, 20th, 2021 for their new schedule date and time.

“This applies only to centres delisted. You will recall that 24 centres were delisted for performing below the tolerable limit of the Board, while over 40 others were put on the watchlist,” the statement read.

JAMB on Saturday announced the delisting of 24 centres over failure to conduct the 2021 examination.

The 2021 UMTE was meant to be conducted in 777 designated centres across the country before the delisting of 24 centres.

 

Over 1.3 million candidates registered to take part in the examination.

Continue Reading

Education

1.4 million candidates write 2021 UTME

Published

on

No fewer than 1.4 million candidates seeking admission into tertiary institutions in Nigeria on Saturday started writing this year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, being conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB.

The number of candidates for this year’s exam was a significant drop from the previous year’s when about 2 million candidates sat for the exam.

While some blamed the drop on challenges encountered by some candidates in linking their National Identification Number, NIN, to their applications, JAMB still gave such candidates a two-week window to register at its offices nationwide.

At the end of the day, less than 50,000 candidates took that opportunity.

The Registrar, Prof. Isaq Oloyede, said the huge figures of the past could be attributable to double registration by some people or even registration by proxies that the NIN has helped to eliminate.

While the examination for early registrants would end on July 3, this year, the Board is expected to conduct a mop up examination for candidates who registered late at a later date.

When Sunday Vanguard visited some of the examination centres in Ikotun, Ogba, Abule-Egba, Ikorodu among others, there were no serious cases of hitches or malpractices noticed.

Candidates and their parents expressed satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise.

At a centre in Ogolonto, Ikorodu, Femi, a candidate, said, “I was among the first set who sat for the exam and everything was prompt. There were no technical hitches and no disruption of the exercise. Everything was done in orderly manner.”

At a centre in Abule-Egba, Lagos, men of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, were on hand to prevent parents of candidates from staying too close to the centre.

In Ikotun area of Lagos too, the exam started on time and the usual issue of candidates having difficulties in logging in did not occur.

Continue Reading

Education

BREAKING: Polytechnic lecturers suspend over two-month strike

Published

on

Polytechnic lecturers have suspended their industrial action, after 65 days of staying away from classrooms.

The lecturers said the suspension was for three months to enable the government to complete execution of the items contained in a Memorandum of Action signed with their union since April 27, 2021.

The lecturers, under the aegis of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), said they would resume the suspended industrial action if the government failed to implement the demands after three months.

A statement by the National Publicity Secretary of ASUP, Abdullahi Yalwa, read in part, “Following an appraisal of the report indicating the gradual implementation of the items contained in the Memorandum of Action signed between our Union and the Federal Government, the Union has resolved to suspend its 65 days old industrial action with effect from 10th June, 2021.

“The suspension is for a period of three months to enable the government complete the execution of the items contained in the Memorandum of Action signed with the Union since 27th April, 2021.

“As part of the efforts communicated by the Federal Ministry of Education, certain items have been fulfilled like the reconstitution and inauguration of governing councils and visitation panels in Nigerian Federal Polytechnics while we are led to believe that the release of funds for infrastructure revitalisation and minimum wage arrears is currently being processed.

“Other items include the ongoing efforts at the review of the Scheme of Service and Conditions of Service for Polytechnics as well as the commencement of work towards resolution of the issues around CONTISS 15 migration arrears for the lower cadre. We also acknowledge the recent passage of the Bill for removal of the dichotomy against HND holders in the country.

 

“In reaching the decision to suspend the strike, our Union took into cognizance the appeals made by the government, revered traditional stools in the country, members of the National Assembly, Chairmen of Governing Councils of Federal Polytechnics and indeed members of the public who showed varied interests in the matter.

“It is the expectation of our Union that the suspension of this action will provide an enabling environment for the government to fulfill other aspects of the memorandum of action and afford the government an opportunity to reverse its trust deficit within our sector.

“We equally appreciate the different layers of intervention by critical stakeholder groups in the sector within the period.”

Continue Reading

Trending