Connect with us

Politics

PDP expels Edo party chieftain, Kassim Afegbua

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party has expelled a chieftain of the party in Edo State, Prince Kassim Afegbua, for alleged anti-party activities.
Afegbua, who was the spokesman for former military President, Ibrahim Babangida, had served as commissioner for information in the Adams Oshiomhole administration in Edo.
The party said it expelled him for alleged anti-party activities in his ward before and during the Edo State governorship election held on September 19, 2020.
Afegbua had last month petitioned the Economic Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offenses Commission (ICPC) accusing the PDP leadership of N10bn fraud and demanded the probe of the leaders.
He had claimed that the Secondus-led National Working Committee (NWC) misappropriated the N10bn generated during the purchase of forms for the 2019 general election.
While PDP leadership insisted that it generated N4.6bn, the EFCC had invited some members of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) over the allegation.
Afegbua’s expulsion from PDP was contained in a letter by the Edo State Chairman of the party, Dr Tony Aziegbemi, which was addressed to the PDP National Chairman, Prince Uche Secondus.
The letter was dated May 17, 2021 and entitled, ‘Re: Resolution of the expulsion of Kassim Afegbua as a member of PDP’.
It said Afegbua failed to appear before disciplinary committees set up by the chapter of the PDP at his ward, local government area and the state levels.
It stated, “Mr Kassim Afegbua as a member of the PDP hitherto engaged in series of anti-party activities in his ward before and during Edo State Gubernatorial Election of September 19, 2020.
“All attempts by his ward, local government area and state disciplinary committees to secure his attendance at various meetings to clear himself of all allegations proved abortive.
“I hereby forward herewith to you the expulsion of Mr Kassim Afegbua as unanimously affirmed by the state disciplinary committee of our party in Edo State.”

 

News

Igbo youths call for arrest of Gumi over support for banditry

Published

on

The Coalition of South East Youth Leaders, (COSEYL) has called for the immediate arrest and prosecution of Islamic cleric Sheik Abubakak Gumi for openly supporting and encouraging banditry and kidnapping in the country.

Gumi was reported to have said that “Murderous Fulani herdsmen only kidnap children for money and that they are better than Indigenous People of Biafrà (IPOB).”

He urged the Federal Government to offer amnesty to criminal herdsmen engaged in banditry and kidnapping, saying the bandits do not kidnap to kill but to make money.

The Igbo youth leaders said such a statement has simply unmasked and exposed the true identity of the Islamic cleric as “a hardened promoter of terrorism in the country,” describing it as wicked and barbaric.

Speaking to newsmen in Owerri, the Imo State capital on Thursday, the President-General of the organisation, Goodluck Ibem noted that kidnapping school children is the most heinous crime anyone can commit.

“No sane country will tolerate such heinous crime against humanity. Kidnapping school children is the wicked and barbaric crime anyone can commit.”

He said: Fulani herdsmen, according to the Global Terror Index (GTI), are the world’s fourth most deadly terrorists. The GTI lists thousands of individual attacks that occurred in Nigeria where herdsmen deliberately kill or maim, or rape Nigerians.

The youth leader said “Sheikh Gumi is not a peace negotiator as he claims, he is rather a facilitator of terror.

It is very unfortunate that our country Nigeria has been reduced to a level where kidnappers who kidnap school children, kill security agents who try to stop them in their bid to kidnap the children are good people because they are Fulanis committing crime to make money.

Though we do not speak for IPOB, no sane person will compare the activities of murderous Fulani herdsmen kidnappers with IPOB. Nigeria is rated as a fail state and a country on watch list because of the terrorists activities of the people who Gumi and his likes support. If Nigeria must move forward, terrorists and kidnapping activities must be brought to a halt.”

According to him, Gumi’s statement has confirmed to all that he is the godfather of murderous Fulani herdsmen kidnappers and bandits who have been terrorising the country.

“We demand the immediate arrest and prosecution of Sheik Abubakak Gumi for supporting and encouraging violent crimes and kidnapping in the country. The law is no respecter of persons and Kidnapping is a capital offence.

“If the Federal Government fails to arrest Gumi and his partners in crime, it will be confirmed to all that they are working in synergy with the kidnappers, bandits and terrorists to cause insecurity so that elections will not hold and they will remain in power beyond 2023.

“We therefore put the United Nations and the international community on notice that they do not need to look far for the sponsors of banditry and terrorism in Nigeria. We now know those behind the killing spree, kidnapping of infant school children, Fulanisation and Islamisation agenda to exterminate Indigenous ethic population across Nigeria.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Soludo wins Anambra APGA governorship primary election

Published

on

Former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Prof Charles Soludo, has won the Anambra governorship primary election of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA).

He secured 740 votes to defeat Ezenwankwo Christopher who polled 41 votes; while ThankGod Ibe had four votes, and Okolo Chibuzor got seven votes.

A total of 795 accredited delegates participated in the election but 792 votes were cast.

Soludo will represent the party in the governorship election scheduled to hold on November 6.

The primary election took place on Wednesday in Awka, Anambra State capital.

Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano, and other stakeholders of the party were present at the event.

The national working committee of a faction of the party led by Jude Okeke announced the suspension of Soludo from the party while the primary was ongoing.

National Publicity Secretary of the faction, Ikechukwu Chukwunyere, said Soludo was suspended due to anti-party activities.

Soludo promised to use his international network to transform the state.

He also praised the administration of the incumbent governor of Anambra, Obiano, as one of the best in the country.

“Anambra is doing well under Obiano and my mission is to continue and complete all the legacy projects of the governor,” he had said.

Weeks after declaring his interest in the governorship election, Soludo was attacked by gunmen at an interactive town hall meeting in Isuofia, Aguata LGA of Anambra state.

Three police officers providing security for him were killed in the attack, while Emeka Ezenwanne, the Anambra commissioner for public utilities, was abducted.

Continue Reading

News

Approved N9bn for renovation of National Assembly not released – Senate

Published

on

The Senate on Wednesday said that the N9billion approved for the renovation of the National Assembly complex in the 2020 Appropriation Act was never released by the Federal Government.

Chairman Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Surajudeen Ajibola Basiru, disclosed this in a statement in Abuja.

Recall that following a heavy downpour in Abuja on Tuesday, the foyer of the National Assembly became flooded following profuse leakage from the roof of the White House Complex.

Basiru said National Assembly is not responsible for the maintenance and renovation of the complex.

The statement reads: “Contrary to the widespread falsehood being peddled both in the mainstream and online media as a fall out of the reported incident of the leaking roof of the National Assembly Complex after a heavy downpour on Tuesday, 21 June 2021, it is pertinent to inform the General Public that the National Assembly and its leadership is not responsible for the maintenance and renovation of the National Assembly Complex and they have not received a sum of 37 billion naira or any amount for the renovation of the Complex.

“While it is true that an initial appropriation of the above-stated sum was made due to the decaying nature of the National Assembly Complex which has not witnessed any major maintenance or overhauling since construction, the said amount was reduced to 9 billion naira after the breakout of COVID-19 pandemic.

“Even with this reduction, the sum of 9 billion or any amount is yet to be cash-backed or released to the National Assembly. None of this amount is even appropriated for the National Assembly bureaucracy or its leadership.

“It must be reiterated that the National Assembly Complex is a National Monument which falls under the purview of control of the Federal Capital Development Agency. In essence, the FCDA is responsible for its maintenance as well as renovation and not the Leadership of the National Assembly as being falsely bandied about.

“The leakage witnessed at the foyer of the National Assembly yesterday (Tuesday) justifies the apprehension of the leadership of the National Assembly and the FCDA and further underscores the need for an urgent intervention in revamping the dilapidated structures within the complex before it falls into further dilapidation with the attendant huge cost of a possible replacement.”

Continue Reading

Trending