Connect with us

News

Three Confirmed Dead, Dozens Injured In Lagos APC LG Election Primaries

Published

on

Two unidentified young men lifeless bodies on Haastrup Street off Ayilara Ojuelegba Surulere, have been confirmed by residents of the area as remains of people that were killed by thugs that stormed the axis of Surulere in their hundreds to attack any gathering of members of Lagos chapter of All Progressive Congress (APC) assemble to vote during the party’s ongoing council primary elections.

They said that the two young men were killed in the area while they were trying to vote for their preferred aspirants before they met their deaths at hands of thugs who attacked them and cut short their lives.

The members claimed that thugs have been terrorizing areas within Surulere and that their target were people and APC members that go against their principal’s wish and that people have to run for their dear lives.

An eyewitness, who resides in the community, told Guild of how the entire Surulere has been facing series of threats, harassments, and indiscriminate shooting from thugs and that the only thing that hasn’t been done by hoodlums were to rob and rape women broad daylight.

She disclosed that one of APC top leaders should be held accountable for the death of the two young men who had done nothing wrong but only came out to vote for their aspirants before meeting their deaths unprepared.

Another who also spoke to The Guild under anonymous condition due to sensibility of the issue said that the thugs were in possession of various weapons and that vehicles were vandalized by hoodlums.

According to her, the Nigerian Police were yet to visit the crime scene to investigate what transpired before and after the killing of the two young men and move their remains proper place.

Before the act, dozens of cultists and thugs led by Deputy Chairman of Road Transport employee Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) Ojuelegba chapter, Sunday Aransiola, popularly called Baresi, had allegedly ordered that the party members leave the voting premises and not to return, saying, the wish of his boss supersedes others aspirations.

Baresi’s actions and that of his boys was said to have halted the activities within the voting premises with claims that the instructions from their boss were that the party members vote for his anointed chairmanship aspirant, Sulaimon Yusuf, and other councillors aiming to become APC standard-bearers for the exercise scheduled to hold later in the year.

Some of the members that spoke to the medium lamented that they were chased by the thugs that stormed their voting premises with guns and other dangerous weapons to scare members and that they warned them anyone willing to go closer to the polling booth must vote for the speaker’s candidates across the nine wards in Surulere.

They added that the actions have started scaring members away and some had already left to avoid been attacked by the hoodlums who were loyal to the speaker and were battle-ready to ensure that the Gbajabiamila’s candidate assumes office.

After scaring the genuine members away from voting, it was gathered that the speaker has allegedly hired non-members, equipping them with names of the aspirants to cast votes for them during the exercise.

The medium learnt that some of the non-members were intercepted by the returning officers that discovered that they do not know the name of the ward nor other details that could indicate that they were members of the party in the wards.

In an interview with our correspondent, Billy Balogun, a former aspirant who stepped down for Idris Aregbe, alleged that the speaker was behind the crisis that had trailed the APC council primaries, saying do not look too far, the speaker is the one involved.

Balogun added that the speaker has turned down in appeals made not to interfere in the exercise and he had boasted that not even the national leader of the party, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, can persuade him not to achieve his aim.

Tinubu, it would be recalled that cautioned the leaders including the speakers not to influence the exercise, rather, to give party members opportunities in determining their preferred candidate for the Lagos council poll.

According to him, all we wanted is a free and fair contest. But what we have experienced across the councils were that the speaker brought in thugs to attack party members in other to achieve his goal of imposing candidates on members in Surulere.

Also, a woman leader from Ward G2, Jamila Mu’azu-Olukosi, narrated that the atmosphere at her ward was tensed and that she and dozens of members were forced to leave in other to avoid sustaining gunshot injuries during the exercise.

Mu’azu-Olukosi added that the exercise was peaceful in her ward before the cultists and hoodlums stormed the premises and disrupted the voting process at the ward, forcing many to abandon their plans to scamper for safety.

She said: “We were at the ward to cast our vote for our candidate, preferably, Idris Aregbe, and suddenly, these dozens of thugs arrived and demanded that we all leave. And when we resisted, they started shooting in the air, not minding that people could sustain injuries from their actions.

“Realising the extent of gunshots with deafening sounds that enveloped the atmosphere, I had to leave to avoid sustaining gunshot injuries at the premises”.

Also, a major frontline aspirant, Aregbe appealed to the speaker to allow a free and fair electoral process, saying we are not here to fight but to have a rancour-free exercise that would be in accordance with democratic norms.

Meanwhile, World Top News Ng gathered that there’s also a case of another casualty in Oshodi/Isolo Local Government Area of Lagos State at the election venue.

It was reported that a fight broke out between two factions of the party disrupting election activities as another person was injured in the process.

APC Chieftain and former Deputy Governor, Princess Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire has called on the electorate and supporters to shun violence and embrace peaceful conduct.

The Lagos State Government has, however, deployed police and military personnel across the state to ensure law and order during the primaries.

Continue Reading

News

PAN Nigeria, Air Force War College discuss technology partnership

Published

on

L-R Mr Husseini Abubakar (DDG PAN Learning Centre), Mr Bawo Omagbitse (G.M Planning and Strategy, PAN) Air Vice Marshal I.T Ali (Commandant, Air Force College), Ms. Taiwo Oluleye, FCIS (Acting MD PAN Nigeria Limited), Mr Abdulkadir Yinusa (Group Head, Corporate Services PAN), Mr Oladapo Ojo (Head of Industrial Operations), during the Air Force War College team's visit to PAN Nigeria.

PAN Nigeria Limited has hosted participants of the Air Force War College at its plant in Kaduna, where issues of technology and knowledge sharing partnership were discussed.
PAN is Nigeria’s foremost automobile manufacturing plant, assemblers of Higer buses and ambulances, Chery vehicles and Peugeot cars.
The visit to the auto company was part of the institution’s training programmes on national security, defence architecture and inter-agency cooperation.
The programme involving tours to institutions of strategic relevance to the nation was led by the Commandant of the college, Air Vice Marshall I.T. Ali.
A statement by the Group Head, Corporate Services, PAN Nigeria Limited, Abdulkadir Yinusa, said PAN Nigeria was selected as one of the key institutions to be studied due to the importance of its industry to national development and employment.
Acting Managing Director of PAN, Ms Taiwo Oluleye, stated that despite various challenges confronting manufacturers in the country, such as rising foreign exchange rates and shortages, Insecurity and contracting purchasing power, that PAN had continued to invest in critical areas that meant much to users of the company’s product range as a way of sustaining its operations.
The areas she listed included deepening customers service and after-sale support.
The Commandant, Air Vice Ali, acknowledged the role PAN had played over the years in rolling out products that met local and international quality standards.
He said College would be readily available to collaborate with PAN in areas of technology, especially in knowledge sharing.
The commandant urged PAN Nigeria to ensure product quality sustainability while assuring the Company of support and patronage.

 

Continue Reading

News

15 Tegina Islamic school abductees escape from captivity

Published

on

About 15 people abducted by bandits from an Islamic school in Tegina, Niger State, last month have reportedly escaped from the bush while their abductors slept off after being drunk.
The escapees are said to be adults abducted alongside 156 pupils of Salihu Tanko Islamic School in May.
The news of the escapees has raised hope that the 156 children also picked by the bandits will soon regain their freedom.
Sources in the area said the abducted adults were separated from the children and taken to a forest in Zamfara State.
It was however gathered that the victims tactically opened the door of a house in which they were kept in the forest when their guards fell asleep after drinking.
The escapees went in different directions in order not to fall into the hands of other bandits in the forest.
An escapee who got to Tegina first informed the people, prompting Niger State government to begin working toward assisting other victims.
The escapee is said to be hospitalised for treatment.
Further information revealed that three other victims among the escapees arrived at Tegina in the early hours of Sunday, while one of them who was rescued was brought to Minna where he is receiving treatment.
Other escapees are said to be in Zaria.
Security operatives have been reportedly sent to the Tegina-Birnin Gwari road to await the remaining 10 escapees.
The source said they would be brought to Minna for proper attention.

Continue Reading

News

FG to begin rehabilitation work on part of Enugu-Onitsha Expressway

Published

on

The Federal Controller of Works in Enugu State, Olufemi Oyekanmi, has said the ministry will soon begin the rehabilitation of the dilapidated Ugwu-Onyeama portion of the Enugu-Onitsha Expressway.

Mr Oyekanmi said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Awka on Friday, saying the project would ease the plight of motorists plying the road.

He said the ministry had awarded to RCC Nigeria Ltd, the contract for the rehabilitation of the 15km stretch of the expressway from 9th Mile to Enugu.

He said the contract also included the construction of a state-of-the-art bypass to take care of the perennial traffic gridlock at 9th Mile during Yuletide.

The remedial work at Ugwu-Onyeama would start on June 21 and run to the end of the year, while the second contract would begin after the rains in October, Mr Oyekanmi said.

He said he had informed the leadership of Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), Petroleum Tanker Drivers and other interested groups in the area about the federal government’s plan to fix the road.

He said he had informed the leadership of Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), Petroleum Tanker Drivers and other interested groups in the area about the federal government’s plan to fix the road.

According to him, major repair work will start on the most critical areas of the road on Monday. “As a matter of fact, we will start moving equipment and materials to that place.

“The planned palliative will solve the problem of accidents that are not related to recklessness around Ugwu-Onyeama.

Reacting to the development, the Chairman of IPMAN, Enugu Depot Community, Chinedu Anyaso, thanked the Federal Government for its “timely intervention” on the road.

The Enugu depot community is in-charge of Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi states.

Mr Anyaso said his leadership had a meeting with Mr Oyekanmi who assured them that remedial work would soon begin on the Enugu-bound lane of the dual carriageway.

He expressed the hope that the repairs would bring relief to oil marketers and petroleum tanker drivers in the South-east.

According to him, oil marketers and tanker drivers have suffered huge financial losses as a result of road accidents on the road.

He said since the beginning of the year, over 20 product-laden tankers had fallen on the road, resulting in spill, fire and vehicle damage.

Mr Anyaso said the association was planning a protest to show its bitterness over the situation before it learnt about the federal government’s planned intervention.

“You know we rely on other depots for supply because Enugu depot has not functioned for about 15 years.

“So, good roads are important to us because it will reduce our business risks and save the lives of millions of people,” the IPMAN chairman said.

Continue Reading

Trending