Connect with us

News

Aisha Buhari aligns with FG, deactivates her Twitter account

Published

on

Wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, Aisha, has deactivated her account on Twitter, less than 24 hours after the Federal Government suspended the operations of the social media service in Nigeria indefinitely.

Indeed, Aisha made the announcement to deactivate her Twitter account just before midnight via the same platform (tweet).

“I will be deactivating my Twitter account for now. Long live Federal Republic of Nigeria,” she tweeted at 11:59pm on Friday.

It was learnt that minutes later, the Twitter account that had one million followers as of June was no longer available on the social media platform.

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, in announcing the ban on Twitter, said the government was forced to act because of “the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.”

The sanction of the social media service has sparked widespread outrage, with many Nigerians, including celebrities, condemning the move.

Also reacting, the microblogging site described the directive as “deeply concerning.”

It stated, “The announcement made by the Nigerian Government that they have suspended Twitter’s operations in Nigeria is deeply concerning.

“We’re investigating and will provide updates when we know more.”

The suspension of Twitter operations in Nigeria announced on Friday was a culmination of events that had happened this past week.

Twitter deleted tweets and videos of President Muhammadu Buhari making threats of punishment to a sect called IPOB in the South-East part of the country after he blamed them for attacks on government buildings.

He then made a reference to Nigeria’s civil war events in the 1960s, which seemed to offend many Nigerians.

Buhari, who was the country’s Head of State in the 1980s and served in the army against secessionists, said young Nigerians in the South East were too young to remember the horrible events that occurred during the war.

According to him, the activities of the present-day secessionists are likely headed toward war; hence, it was proactive to stop them beforehand with force.

“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand,” he said.

Twitter chose to delete the tweet, which it said violated its abusive behaviour policy and several calls by Nigerians to take it down.

Twitter also suspended the President’s account, leaving it in a “read-only mode” for 12 hours.

Following its decision, Mohammed called out the social media giant by saying its decision was biased and said the President had a right to express his thoughts on events that affect the country.

He also raised suspicion about the platform’s intention in the country. “Twitter may have its own rules; it’s not the universal rule. If Mr President anywhere in the world feels very bad and concerned about a situation, he is free to express such views… The mission of Twitter in Nigeria is very, very suspect,” he said.

Education

Ghana university lecturers begin strike over poor service conditions

Published

on

Public university teachers in Ghana on Monday commenced an indefinite strike over poor conditions of service.

 

Professor Charles Marfo, national president of the University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG), said the strike was borne out of the government’s refusal to heed calls by the association to improve the worsening conditions of service of the university teachers across the country.×

 

He said the association was not happy with the way the authorities had been dragging their feet on negotiations concerning the welfare of the teachers, which started two years ago.

 

“We write on behalf of the National Executive Committee of UTAG to inform and/or remind you of the intended strike action of UTAG,” read a statement issued earlier by UTAG.

“By this notice, all campuses are to withdraw all teaching and related activities namely teaching, examinations, invigilation, marking of examination scripts, processing of examination results, etc. from Aug. 2 until further notice.”

There are 15 public universities in Ghana.

 

Among them are University of Ghana, Legon, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, University of Cape Coast,

CK Tadem University for Technology and Applied Sciences.

 

Others are University of Education, Winneba and Simon Diedong Dombo University for Business and Integrated Development Studies.

Continue Reading

News

Olympiacos sign Henry Onyekuru on permanent deal

Published

on

Olympiacos FC have announced the signing of forward Henry Onyekuru from Ligue 1 club Monaco.

 

The 24-year-old Nigerian forward arrived in Greece to seal a permanent move on Saturday after spending last season on loan at Galatasaray.

 

Olympiacos have confirmed the signing of the 24-year-old star on their official website by stating: “Olympiacos have announced the acquisition of international ace, Henry Onyekuru.

 

“The Nigerian, born on June 5, 1997, in Lagos, has been acquired from Monaco after signing a four-year contract.

 

“Having spent five years at Aspire Academy, Onyekuru took the first big step in his career in 2015 by signing a contract with Eupen.

“His 30 goals in 60 games with the Belgian club attracted several clubs with Everton acquiring his services in 2017. The Nigerian spent the next two seasons on loan at Anderlecht (28 assists, 10 goals) and Galatasaray (31 assists and 14 goals) respectively.”

 

Speaking after signing for the team, Onyekuru said: “I know it is a big club in Greece, one of the biggest and they have good ambition and target every season and they are always in the Champions League.

 

“I also know of two Nigerians who played here before and I am just here to contribute and keep on pushing and also to be champions countless times, achieve more goals and aims with the club.

On June 30, 2017, Onyekuru joined Premier League side, Everton, for £7 million and was immediately loaned out to Anderlecht where he was handed the number 9 jersey.

Onyekuru, who made his debut for the Super Eagles in a 3-0 friendly win over Togo on June 1, 2017, is part of the key players for head coach Gernot Rohr ahead of the upcoming World Cup qualifying matches in September.

 

Continue Reading

News

COVID-19 kills 6 persons daily in Lagos – Sanwo-Olu raises alarm

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Monday raised the alarm over rising COVID-19 death in Lagos, saying the virus has killed an average of six persons daily in the last one week.

 

He also admitted that the third wave of the virus is right now in Lagos, saying that proactive measures must be put in place to nip the crisis in the bud.

Speaking at a news conference at the State House, Alausa, the governor said from the beginning of July the state started to experience an increase in the number of daily confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Lagos State, with the positivity rate going from 1.1% at the end of June 2021 to 7% at the end of July 2021.

“As at the 1st of August 2021, the positivity rate in Lagos is 8.9%. This is an 8-fold increase over the recorded figure a month ago, and it should rightly alarm all of us. This has resulted in 4,300 confirmed cases in July alone and 352 admissions into our isolation facilities.

 

“But let me make it clear that this necessary sense of alarm should not be responded to with panic, but instead with a firm 2 resolve and determination to reverse the trend. We have done it before and we can do it again. We dealt with the first and second waves and did our best to prevent a third wave,” Sanwo-Olu stated.

 

The governor said now that the third wave of the virus has come, the state must dig deep into what “we have learnt from the previous waves, as well as summon the will to do everything necessary to bring down the numbers, on the way to eventually defeating the virus once and for all. Epidemiology Update From the beginning of the outbreak in February 2020 to date, Lagos State has recorded a total of 64,032 confirmed cases of COVID-19.”

“Of this number, 56,336 have recovered in community, 2,755 are currently being managed actively in community. Over the course of managing the COVID-19 pandemic, about 5,029 patients have been admitted into our various COVID-19 care centres in Lagos. We have, sadly, recorded 390 fatalities in Lagos State, 30 of which have taken place in this current 3rd wave of the pandemic.

 

“Essentially, we have recorded on average 6 deaths per day since last week. 3 Home-Based Care Given the huge population of our State and the rising numbers of confirmed cases during the first and second waves of the pandemic, it became necessary for us to deploy tele-medicine in managing positive patients. In this vein, we launched a home-based program, driven by our EKOTELEMED call center service,” Sanwo-Olu added.

 

Continue Reading

Trending