Connect with us

metro

Updated: Five burnt to death, 25 cars razed in Lagos tanker explosion

Published

on

Five people have confirmed dead in the gas tanker explosion that occurred on Thursday night along Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Lagos.
Three of the bodies were found inside one of the stores at the OPIC plaza by officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) around 7am on Friday.
The bodies were found while rescue team was searching for a child whose mother was rescued early Friday morning.
The woman, who was at the Chinese Restaurant, reportedly kept crying about her child when she was being evacuated to the hospital.
The officials who went from one room to the other in search of the kid reportedly discovered three bodies of men who got trapped by the fire.
The other two, including a child, were discovered by a vulcaniser who led FRSC officials on traffic control duty to the spot.
At least 13 other persons were injured after the gas tanker explosion which occurred at 10.30pm resulted in the destruction of 25 cars.
Four of the injured victims with severe burns who could not be attended to at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital were moved to the Trauma and Burns Centre of the Gbagada General Hospital.
Director General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed that five bodies had been recovered and 13 injured persons evacuated to the hospital.
He said the agency responded to a distress call shortly before midnight on Thursday concerning a tanker explosion which extended to the OPIC Plaza and damaged 22 parked vehicles within the premises.
“First responders worked to control the spread to the adjacent properties as well as the nearby petrol station until 0400hrs Friday.
“Thirteen people with various degrees of burns were rescued comprising nine males and four females. They were provided with pre hospital care before taken to Lagos State health facilities for further treatment
“The affected truck has been moved, the entire affected area cordoned off and post disaster assessment ongoing.”
Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, Acting Zonal Coordinator, South West Zonal Office, National Emergency Management Agency, confirmed the development in Ikeja on Friday.
He said the explosion threw the environment into panic due to the huge fire caused by the incident.
He said the explosion was reportedly caused by leakage from the gas tanker while in motion.
“The resulting fire travelled with the wind to the premises of Ogun State Property Investment Company (OPIC) Plaza besides Sheraton Hotels, which houses different commercial outfits including a Chinese Restaurant.
“The fire was put out at about 12.30am, after concerted efforts of five fire trucks from the Lagos State Fire Service and two trucks from the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency Response Unit.
“The initial search and rescue activities revealed that 13 persons sustained various degrees of burns. Out of this, nine are males while four are females.”
According to him, the affected victims were attended to at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) for First Aid.
Farinoye also confirmed that four victims with severe injuries were quickly moved to the Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos.
He “Preliminary assessment of vehicles damaged indicated that about 25 were destroyed as at now.
“Comprehensive post disaster assessment on the extent of general damages would be done later today.”
According to him, Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Mr Hakeem Odumosu, led the team that took charge of crowd control and helped to restore normalcy.

metro

‘One chance’ robbers torture, dispossess commuter of laptop, money, phones

Published

on

Saheed Ogungbenro

An accountant at a construction company on Victoria Island, Lagos State, Saheed Ogungbenro, has recounted his ordeal at the hands of brisk traffic robbers locally known as ‘one chance’ robbers along the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway.

It was learnt that the hoodlums in a Sienna car beat up Ogungbenro, robbed him of a laptop, two phones ATM card, among other items, and transferred money from his bank account.

The victim, who was hospitalised after the encounter, told our correspondent on Friday that he boarded the vehicle at the U-Turn bus stop along the expressway around 5am while going to work.

He explained that he met two ‘passengers’ in the car, adding that trouble began after the driver picked another person at Abule-Egba.

“One of the two men at the back held me in the neck while the other man that entered later punched me in the face. One of them hit my nails with a hammer. I was overpowered. They collected my phones, laptop, national identity card, driving licence and my company ID card. They asked for my card pin and information about how to open my banking mobile app.

“I had to give them everything. I have N830,000 in my Access Bank account. I don’t know how much they transferred from it though someone had gone to the bank on my behalf and they had blocked my account. I had my Diamond (Access) ATM card with me. They collected it and transferred money from my Access Bank account to the Diamond (Access) account. I don’t know how much they transferred.”

Ogungbenro said the robbers dropped him off around the Oke-Odo area and zoomed off, leaving him in pain.

He added, “A motorcycle rider who saw me groaning with pain said I was the fourth person robbed and dumped at the spot. It was a tricycle rider who eventually took me to the hospital. The case was reported at the Oke-Odo Police Station.

“I was in a hurry that day. I didn’t go to the office in my car because I was tired. That was not the first time I would board Sienna to the office. Many commuters going to Victoria Island always rush to board Sienna at the bus stop early in the morning.”

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu, could not be reached for comment on the incident.

Afeez Hanafi, Punch News

Continue Reading

metro

Mother, Two Children Kidnapped by gunmen in Kwara

Published

on

A mother and her two children were Friday evening in Omu-Aran,   Irepodun local government area of Kwara state abducted inside their room by yet-to-be-identified gunmen

Sunday Vanguard reliably gathered that the incident happened around 7 pm near a petrol station at Oko junction area in the ancient town.

It was reliably gathered that the kidnapped woman, is the wife of the owner of the nearby filling station and that she also has a shop around the area.

The suspected gunmen were said to have invaded the area and fired several gunshots sporadically into the air to scare away the residents.

Thereafter, two of the gunmen were said to have gone inside the room and held the woman and her two children at gunpoint and dragged them into their car and they drove away.

It was also gathered that stray bullets from the gunshots hit two commercial motorcycle riders in the process and they sustained severe injuries.

The wounded Okada riders who were said to have been rushed to an unknown hospital in the town, are said to be recuperating at press time.

As at the time of filing this report, it was not known if the alleged abductors of the woman and her two children had contacted the family for a ransom payment.

The state police command is also yet to confirm the incident.

Contacted, Spokesperson of the command Ajayi Okasanmi told Sunday Vanguard that he has not been briefed of the incident.

He said, “I am not aware of the incident, but I will get back to you as soon as I am officially briefed of the development.”

Demola Akinyemi, Vanguard News

Continue Reading

metro

How 20-year-old was killed and buried by his parents in Imo

Published

on

CP Rabiu Hussaini

Lambert Osundu and his wife, Racheal, an Imo-based couple who reportedly murdered their son, are currently cooling off in police custody.

The duo were said to have connived with their daughter to kill 20-year-old Chukwuebuka, whom they accused of being too stubborn.

The suspects, who hail from Umuezealagwu in Ehime Mbano local government area of Imo, were said to have committed the heinous act on September 14, 2021.

They reportedly told curious relatives that Chukwuebuka travelled to Ghana.

However, community members, who were not satisfied with their response, alerted the police who swung into action.

Upon interrogation, the trio were said to have confessed that they hit Chukwuebuka with a wood and left him to die.

They also confessed to have buried him in a shallow grave behind their compound.

A source from the community, who spoke anonymously, said, “Chukwuebuka used to be popular among us and he had never hinted us that he would be travelling. When we could not see him and his family could not give enough information, we reported them to the police.”

Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Mike Abattam, confirmed the incident.

He said following credible information, the Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Hussaini, immediately dispatched detectives to Ehime Mbano LGA of Imo, the alleged scene of the crime.

“On arrival, the command’s operatives based on intelligence, interrogated one Robert Anyanwu chairman of Umuezealagwu Umuduruekwe in Ehime Mbano LGA of Imo State, and it was revealed that, on 14/9/2021 at about 1200 hour, the Osundu family comprising of Lambert Osundu ‘M’, Ndubuisi Osundu “M” and Rechael Osundu “F” all of Umuduruihiako Umueze ll in Ehime Mbano local government area of Imo State, conspired and beat their youngest brother, Chukwuebuka Osundu “M” aged 20 years to death for yet to confirmed reason(s).

“After killing him, the father of the deceased with the assistance of Ndubuisi Osundu carried the lifeless body to the back of their compound, dug a shallow grave and secretly buried the corpse.

“The command’s operatives with the support of the community were able to arrest two suspects, they are Lambert Osundu and Racheal Osundu.

“Presently, they are undergoing interrogation and have made useful statements that will lead to the arrest of the other family members on the run,” Abattam said.

Daily Trust

Continue Reading

Trending