Connect with us

News

Trump sues Twitter, Facebook, Google over ban

Published

on

Former United States President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he had filed class action lawsuits against the leaders of Facebook, Twitter and Google after he was expelled from their platforms in January.

“The American people’s birthright of freedom must prevail against Big Tech and other forces that seek to destroy it,” Trump said at his private club in Bedminster, N.J. “Through this lawsuit we are standing up for American democracy, by standing up for free speech rights of every American.”

Trump said he planned to sue Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg, the chief executive officers of Twitter and Facebook, respectively, as well Sundar Pichai, who heads Alphabet, the parent company of Google and YouTube.

The cases were filed in federal court in the Southern District of Florida.

Trump said, “We are demanding an end to the shadow banning, a stop to the silencing, and a stop to the blacklisting, banishing, and canceling that you know so well.

“Our case will prove this censorship is unlawful, it’s unconstitutional, and it’s completely un-American.”

Trump’s political operation issued fundraising appeals almost immediately after the announcement, a sign that his team believe the effort will animate and excite members of his base.

Trump was permanently banned from Twitter and suspended indefinitely from Facebook and Instagram in response to posts he made surrounding the January 6 assault on the US Capitol led by supporters of his.

A long line of court rulings has held that such suspensions do not violate any First Amendment right, despite Trump’s claim to the contrary.

“There is no better evidence that big tech is out of control than the fact that they banned the sitting president of the United States earlier this year. A ban that continues to this day,” he said. “If they can do it to me, they can do it to anyone. And in fact, that is exactly what they are doing.”

The suits allege that the former president’s First Amendment rights were infringed by the companies’ actions and that they have exceeded their protections granted under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act of 1996.

The lawsuit is being supported by the America First Policy Institute, a newly established nonprofit stocked with ideological allies and former Trump administration officials to advance the former president’s agenda after he left office.

Trump was accompanied by Brooke Rollins, AFPI’s president and CEO, and board chair Linda McMahon.

McMahon led the Small Business Administration under Trump and Rollins served as a top White House domestic policy adviser during his administration.

Trump has bitterly complained about losing his social media megaphone in the wake of the January 6 insurrection, arguing that his expulsion from those platforms was evidence of bias against conservative speech by the tech giants.

In June, Facebook announced that the earliest Trump would be allowed to regain access to his accounts would be 2023.

Trump has pursued several alternative avenues to get his message out as he remains a central force in GOP politics, including an abortive foray into blogging that lasted roughly a month. But he has not signed onto the Miller-backed Twitter competitor, called GETTR.

In response to a reporter’s question, Trump said he was unsure he would rejoin the social media platforms even if he was allowed back on in response to the lawsuits.

News

Court grants 12 Igboho’s associates bail

Published

on

An Abuja Federal High Court has granted bail to detained 12 associates of Yoruba nation advocate Sunday Igboho.
Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a ruling a moment ago, granted eight of them, whose bail application was not challenged by the Department of State Services (DSS) bail at N5 million each.
Justice Egwuatu granted bail at N10 million each for the other four, whose application was challenged by the DSS.
The judge also ordered each of the detainees to produce two sureties and asked them to remain in the custody of the DSS until they were able to meet the bail conditions.

Continue Reading

News

Igboho supporters granted bail after one month in detention

Published

on

A federal high court in Abuja has granted bail to 12 supporters of Sunday Igboho who were arrested in Oyo state.

 

Operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) had on July 1 raided Igboho’s residence in Oyo and arrested 12 of his supporters.

 

The arrested persons were subsequently moved to the federal capital territory (FCT) where they have been in detention.

 

Subsequently, the suspects through their lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed an application asking the court to “inquire into the circumstances constituting grounds of their arrest and detention since July 2, 2021, and where it deems fit admit applicants on bail”.

 

At the resumed hearing on Wednesday, Olajengbesi, counsel to the applicants, asked the court to admit his clients to bail.

 

“There is no need to continue to keep them with the respondents,” he said.

 

Commenting on the bail application, David Awo, DSS counsel, had said he was not opposed to bail for the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 11th applicants.

 

He told the court that the remaining four applicants (2nd, 12th, 5th, and 6th) were still being investigated.

 

Ruling on the bail application, Obiora Egwatu, the presiding judge, said it is clear that no charge has been preferred against the applicants and that they have been in detention since they were arrested.

 

He said the applicants have a right to liberty and the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

 

He admitted the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10 and 11th applicants to bail in the sum of N5 million and two sureties each.

 

The judge said the sureties must be residents of Abuja with an acceptable means of identification and passport photographs. They must also provide evidence of tax payment of two years and swear to an affidavit of means. The residence of the sureties shall also be verified by the court.

 

“For the 2nd, 5th, 6th and 12 applicants, since no charge has been preferred against them, bail is equally granted to them in the sum of N10 million and two sureties in like sum,” the judge ruled.

 

“The sureties shall be resident in Abuja, provide means of identification, passport photograph, evidence of tax payment within 2 years and depose to an affidavit of means.

 

“One of the surety must be a civil servant in the employ of the federal government or any of its agencies on level 12 and above. He shall provide the original of his employment letter and promotion letter. The residence of the sureties shall be verified.

 

“Each of the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th applicants, shall report at the office of the respondents every first Monday the month, commencing from the first Monday in September 2021.”

 

At the initial court session which was held on Monday, officials of the DSS had barred journalists from covering the trial.

 

The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) subsequently described the action as a threat to the rule of law and democracy.

 

Emmanuel Ogbeche, chairman of the FCT NUJ, had called on “relevant authorities” to take “necessary measures to protect and ensure journalists’ safety on duty”.

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Anxiety in NYSC camps as COVID-19 cases hit 109

Published

on

There are fears among young graduates currently at the various camps of the National Youth Service Corps across the country, as at least 109 prospective corps members are said to have been diagnosed with COVID-19.

The NYSC orientation camps were opened at the weekend for Batch B, Stream 1 of this year’s season of the national youth service.

The cases were detected following mandatory COVID-19 tests conducted on reporting corps members. The identified cases, our reporters gathered, have been moved to isolation centres in the respective states.

The NYSC officials at the states level have constituted COVID-19 Vanguard, a team to aid enforce compliance to health protocols on the camps.

The Federal Government on Monday raised the alarm over the spread of the contagious Delta variant of the virus to more states, as authorities mull fresh lockdown for the worst-hit states.

Data obtained from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control shows a sharp spike in incidences with 851 cases recorded in the first two days of August.

The agency’s statistics indicate that 11 persons died from COVID-19 complications on the second day of the month.

In Edo State, for instance, 17 corps members tested positive for the virus at the point of registration.

It was gathered that all the corps members were tested for the virus before being admitted into the camp.

The state NYSC Coordinator, Mrs Abiodun Olubukola, had during the swearing-in ceremony inaugurated COVID-19 Vanguard as part of efforts to ensure strict adherence to the COVID-19 protocol.

The Chief Medical Director, Stella Obasanjo Hospital, Edo State, Dr Osagie Ebomwonyi disclosed that 17 corps members in the state were currently receiving COVID-19 treatment at the hospital’s isolation centre.

The personal assistant to the state NYSC Coordinator, Mr Ozeto Waheed, confirmed the development.

An employee of NYSC at the orientation camp in the Mangu Local Government Area said the camp had recorded 26 cases since the commencement of the orientation exercise.

In Gombe State, the Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier General Shuaibu Ibrahim has called on corps members posted to the state to avail themselves at the testing centre to know their COVID-19 status.

The NYSC DG was in Amada Temporary Orientation Camp following the recently reported COVID-19 cases, where 25 corps members posted to the state tested positive for the disease.

He said that it is mandatory for every corps member to get tested and adhere to the rules, adding that they must comply with the non-pharmaceutical rules to stay safe and return to their parents healthy.

 

Continue Reading

Trending