Connect with us

Auto

Lagos-Ibadan trains moved 42,000 passengers in June – Amaechi

Published

on

• Says Kaduna-Abuja train breakdown due to delayed spare parts
The recently launched Lagos-Ibadan trains conveyed a total of 42,000 passengers in the month of June 2021, Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has said.
He also said the recurrent breakdown recently experienced on the Kaduna-Abuja trains was due to delay in spare parts delivery from China.
The minister, who spoke on Friday after a routine inspection of the Lagos-Ibadan rail project in Lagos, however assured the Kaduna-Abuja train passengers that spare parts being expected for the Lagos-Ibadan trains would be used for the northern train locomotives when they arrived.
Amaechi said the number of passengers using the Lagos-Ibadan train was expected to increase as more people became aware of the benefits of the new train service.
He added that he had told the Nigerian Railway Corporation to increase the number of daily trains on that route from four to six.
The plan, he stressed, was to make the daily trips between Lagos and Ibadan 16 trains.
Amaechi said, “On the Lagos-Ibadan trains, 42,000 passengers were moved in June. We expect the figure to increase in the coming months because if we can move 42,000 in the month that we started, then the figure will increase as more people become aware of the train services between Lagos and Ibadan.”
The minister also spoke on the completion stage of the train stations, saying due to a recent kidnap of some Chinese officials in the Olodo area of Ogun State, the train station there had yet to be completed.
The minister said most of the stations had been completed except for Olodo being delayed due to the kidnap of Chinese officials. He also disclosed that the contractor had completed most of the communication and signalling work, but he noted, “We need to observe the project for the next six months to be sure everything is working perfectly as planned.
“If not, we won’t be able to do the 16 trips-a-day train schedule as planned. The reason we are inspecting is to be sure everything is working as planned. After six months, when we are very sure of what we are seeing, then we can bring in new coaches and locomotives and increase the trips.
“As of today, I have directed the NRC to scale up the number of trips per day from four to eight.” Speaking on the issue with the Kaduna-Abuja train, he said, “After the last breakdown of the Kaduna-Abuja train, I instructed the Nigerian Railway Corporation to rest that particular locomotive. I am surprised that there was another breakdown in the early hours of today.
“The issue with the breakdown of the Kaduna-Abuja train is due to lack of maintenance which is attributable to a lack of spare parts from China. We have written to Mr President on this issue and he has graciously approved the purchase of spare parts for the Lagos-Ibadan trains. Very soon, the Chinese people will supply us with enough spare parts for the Lagos-Ibadan rail. By the time they do that, we will be forced to use some of these spare parts for the Kaduna-Abuja trains and hopefully, the issue of incessant breakdown of the trains will be resolved.

Auto

Photos: Coscharis rolls out new Land Rover Discovery Sport, Jaguar F-Pace

Published

on

 

Coscharis Motors on Wednesday unveiled the 2021 edition of the Land Rover Discovery Sport and Jaguar F-Pace at its Lekki-Epe Expressway head office, Lagos.
Detailed reports later…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Auto

Nigeria imported 400,000 vehicles in five years – FG

Published

on

Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Ms Zainab Shamsuna-Ahmed, has said that Nigeria imported about 400,000 vehicles between 2015 and 2020.
Shansuna-Ahmed, made the disclosure at a one-day sensitisation on the National Vehicle Registry (VREG), on Tuesday in Kano.
The minister, represented by Mrs Fatima Hayatu, Director Technical Services in the ministry, said available data of the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), indicated that 40 per cent of the vehicles were smuggled into the country.
She said that: “The NBS confirmed that between 2015 and 2020, Nigeria imported an average of 400,000 vehicles.
“An additional 40 per cent of the vehicles are smuggled into the country annually.
“A case study revealed that Nigeria was the hub of stolen vehicles, as Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of vehicles in the country were usually unregistered.
“Consequently, vehicles within the shores of Nigeria cannot be traced.”
According to her, the ministry is introducing the National Vehicle Registry (VREG) to address these challenges.
The system, she said, would provide a singular platform through which all relevant agencies reference vehicular data with a view of ascertaining ownership and value information.
She said the system would also assist to ensure accurate monitoring, documentation and tracking of vehicular activities across the country as well as enhance national security.
Acting Controller in charge of Zone B, Nigeria Customs Service, Mr Uba Muhammad, said the initiative would assist to ensure the security of lives and property of Nigerians.
Represented by the Controller, Kano/Jigawa Command, Mr Suleiman Umar, Muhammad said that the initiative would curb insecurity and enhance revenue generation, especially on vehicles.
“This initiative suit in with E-Customs Project that will signal the beginning of end-to-end automation of NCS processes and procedures.
“It will also usher a new regime of total automation of all trans-border trade activities,” he said.
Also speaking, Mr Usman Rabiu, the representative of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), described the security aspect attached to the initiative as “more important.”
He said that FRSC was happy to be part of the initiative, where all relevant agencies would have a central database on vehicular activities across the country.
Kano State Commissioner for Works and Transport, Alhaji Mahmud Santsi, pledged the state government’s support for the project.

Continue Reading

Auto

Kia gets 30,000 pre-orders for battery-powered EV6 sedan

Published

on

Kia Motor Corporation, South Korea’s second-biggest carmaker, has launched an all-electric EV6 sedan in the domestic market ahead of its overseas launches later this year.
Already, the automaker says it has received over 30,000 pre-orders for the EV6 in the domestic market, and a combined 8,800 pre-orders in Europe and the United States, according to a report by Just Autos.
The maker of the K5 sedan and the Sorento SUV aim to sell 13,000 units of the zero-emission model on its home turf and 17,000 units in overseas markets this year.
The EV6 is Kia’s first model embedded with Hyundai Motor Group’s own EV-only electric-global modular platform (E-GMP).

The EV6 is priced at 47 million won-57 million won (US$40,800-$49,500) in Korea. With government subsidies, it can be purchased for under 40 million won.
The model is available with two kinds of battery packs — a standard 58-kilowatt-hour (kWh) battery pack and a long-range 77.4-kWh one. The 58-kWh and 77.4-kWh models can travel up to 370 kilometres and 475 km, respectively, on a single charge.
Kia also plans to introduce sedans, SUVs and multipurpose vehicles based on the new EV platform for the next seven years.
It plans to beef up its EV lineup with 11 models, including the seven E-GMP-based ones, by 2025.
With its strengthened EV lineup, it aims to achieve a 6.6 percent share of the global battery-powered EV market by 2025 and global annual sales of 500,000 units by 2026.
Kia’s current EV market share is not available as its EV sales accounted for only 1 percent of its overall sales in 2019.
In April, Kia’s bigger affiliate Hyundai Motor Co. launched the IONIQ 5 all-electric model equipped with the E-GMP platform.
Hyundai plans to introduce the IONIQ 6 next year and the IONIQ 7 large SUV in 2024. It will begin using alphanumeric names like its bigger rivals, such as BMW, whose models are named Series No. 1-8.

Continue Reading

Trending