Connect with us

metro

Lagos marks 70 defective buildings for demolition

Published

on

The Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) says it has marked 70 buildings considered defective for demolition, after demolishing a partially collapsed building at No. 19, Church Str, Lagos Island and its set to demolish 70 others.
A statement by LASBCA spokesman, Mr Gbadeyan Abdulraheem, said the General Manager of the agency, Mr Gbolahan Oki, supervised the demolition exercise.
Speaking at the demolition site, Oki said it had become expedient to immediately remove the dilapidated and distressed building, which was no longer fit for human habitation to prevent collapse.
He said several other defective buildings had been marked for removal to rid the state of defective buildings, in a bid to end the era of building collapses.
Oki noted that his team had earlier visited the distressed building site to get an on the spot assessment and asked the residents to relocate for their safety.
The GM said the agency had identified and marked 70 other distressed buildings within the state for removal.
He explained that 20 of the structures were discovered on Lagos Island.
Oki said due process would be followed for Non Destructive Tests (NDTs) to be carried out on affected buildings in order to ascertain their structural integrity.
He added that the test would also determine if the buildings could be either renovated or demolished if found not safe for human habitation.
He reiterated that the “government has absolute zero tolerance for building collapse, hence all building codes regulation within the state would be strictly enforced.”
He added that enforcement would include ensuring all buildings above two floors obtained insurance, as contained in the Building Regulations 2019 (as amended).
He warned developers and property owners to always do the right thing by involving LASBCA at various stages of construction works and obtaining all requisite approvals and completion certificates.
He appealed to Lagos residents to help government achieve its aim of creating a safer state by reporting substandard construction and dilapidated structures in their areas to the agency.

metro

Bandits releasing our children in batches torturing, say Kaduna Baptist students’ parents

Published

on

  • 21 students still in captivity after freeing 10 Saturday

Parents of kidnapped Kaduna Baptist school students say the strategy of releasing their children in batches by the bandits is torturing.

They stated this in reaction to the latest release of 10 of the abducted students on Saturday evening, leaving 21 others still with the abductors.

Chairman of the Kaduna chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Joseph Hayab, said the students were released on Saturday.

He said the released students had reunited with their parents, adding that 21 others are still with their captors.

He said, “The bandits have released 10 more of our students to us this evening, remaining 21. They were released this evening and parents were taking their children home.”

Hayab lamented that releasing the students in batches amounted a “torture” for the parents.

“What the bandits are doing is to torture us. We are celebrating the return of 10 students, but we are having the challenge of those parents who have been waiting and every time, their child is not among those released,” he said.

“It is very painful, but we thank God that 10 students are back.”

The bandits invaded Bethel Baptist High School in Damishi, Kaduna State, on July 5, 2021 and abducted 121 students.

The bandits had subsequently said the students would be released in batches when they freed the first set of 28 on July 25, 2021 — after they reportedly collected a ransom of N100m.

Following the release of the 28 students, the bandits were said to have demanded another N80m as ransom for the remaining students.

President of the Nigerian Baptist Convention, Israel Akanji, had earlier said that no ransom will be paid for the release of the students.

 

 

Continue Reading

metro

10 dogs devour two-year-old in Anambra • Irate youths set them ablaze

Published

on

A two-year-old prospective school pupil has been devoured by 10 dogs belonging to a private school in Amokpo, Umuanunwa, Nteje in Oyi Local Government Area, Anambra State.

The child was said to have been taken to the school for enrollment by his parent when the incident occurred.

The school’s owner, a UK returnee identified as Chinedu Oka, reportedly reared dogs in the school premises despite the community’s warning against it.

A resident who preferred anonymity told The Nation that the child’s parent was perfecting the documentation and registration of the child when he strayed away to where he was devoured by the dogs.

He said: “The parent was busy with the child’s registration when he wandered off to where the dogs, 10 in number, rushed at him, dragged him into their pen and devoured him with nobody on sight to rescue him.

“It’s a taboo to rear dogs here and the owner was warned, but he didn’t heed the community’s instructions.”

The Nation further learnt angry youths in the community instantly invaded the school compound and shot all the dogs dead, while parents hurriedly withdrew their children and wards on hearing about the tragic incident.

Confirming the incident, the traditional ruler of Nteje, Igwe Rowland Odegbo, described the act as an abomination in the community, assuring that justice would be served appropriately.

He said: “The man knew that dogs were prohibited in Nteje, but he still went ahead to rear and surround himself with dogs despite warning from the community.

“To us, the young man committed murder and we have handed him over to the appropriate authorities. We will make sure that justice is served because we don’t condone evil.

“The youths have killed and burnt the dogs and we are in support of their action.”

The Nation

 

Continue Reading

metro

Military invades Katsina forest, smokes out bandits, rescues kidnapped victims

Published

on

No fewer than 20 kidnapped victims have escaped from the deadly Rugu Forest in Nigeria Northwest after bandits who held them bound for over five months fled for dear lives on citing an air force fighter jet.

Among the victims are 18 females and 2 males abducted five months ago from Katoge village in Batsari Local Government Area of Katsina State.

One of the victims, Rabiu Mannir said they managed to escape from the hoodlums when a jet of the Nigerian Air Force caused a scare while flying over the bandits’ camp on Friday night. The development he said caused the criminals to scamper for safety, ignoring their captives.

Also, one of the female victims identified as Sahura Haruna was said to have delivered a baby girl at the kidnappers den recently as she was already pregnant before being abducted by the bandits.

“I put to bed five days ago. According to the Doctor, my baby and I are not very sound. The Doctor said our body system lacks adequate water,” Sahura said.

The Secretary to the Katsina State Government, SSG, Dr Mustapha Inuwa, said the rescued victims were brought back to Katsina by authorities in neighbouring Zamfara State and they have been medically examined and handed over to the authorities of Batsari LGA to reconcile them with their families once again.

Daily Post

Continue Reading

Trending