Connect with us

News

IPOB sit-at-home: Ohanaeze, residents bemoan losses as fresh protest looms

Published

on

– How Monday’s protest caused my husband’s stroke, by housewife

– Biafra: We’ve not compromised, say Nnamdi Kanu’s family

  Thousands of residents, particularly traders in the five Southeast states remained in distress yesterday, five days after the first of the ‘Ghost Mondays’ declared by the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to press for the release of its detained leader, Nnamdi Kanu.

Many are still counting their losses-some human, some financial, some other assets- they incurred when IPOB sympathisers unleashed fury on those who decided to go about their businesses on day one of the sit-at-home protest.

A housewife told yesterday of how her husband suffered stroke on the fateful day because he could not be taken to the hospital for immediate treatment after falling ill unexpectedly.

The group is gearing up for the next round of protest on Monday.

Ohanaeze Ndigbo warned yesterday that the protest was misplaced.

The Chidi Ibeh-led group said continuation of ‘Ghost Monday’, rather than have a serious influence on President Muhammadu Buhari to release  Kanu,  can only lead to  more self-inflicted catastrophes and destruction that will undermine the future of millions of Igbo pupils writing NECO examinations and worsen the  untold hardships and agonies that Ndigbo are going through.

Secretary General of the group, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, said: “This ‘Ghost Monday’ must discontinue to pave way for more diplomatic and political strategies to see that Nnamdi Kanu is released. Only local diplomacy intertwined with international coercion is required for Kanu’s release, not more absurd and futile sit at home. ”

According to him, “there were jubilations in some sections of the country, especially from the adversaries of Ndigbo as well as the dictatorial tyrants that had capitalised on these missteps to prepare Igboland as theatres for blood to flow ceaselessly and endless destruction of private and public properties to continue unabated.

“This gives rise to losses on all fronts for Igbo. Our losses took the place of our gains in the last sit-at-home. There must be a modification of strategy to avoid the rivalry and counter orders noticed within the ranks of exponents of sit-at-home and the image laundering that followed after.”

Continue Reading

COVID-19

FG: We have enough COVID vaccines to cover 70% Nigerians

Published

on

Nigeria has enough vaccines that can cover over 70 per cent of the country’s population before the end of 2022, Secretary to the government of the federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, has said.

The SGF said this at the national COVID-19 summit held at Muhammadu Buhari Conference Centre in Abuja, tagged ‘Pushing Through the Last Mile to End the Pandemic and Build Back Better’.

He said, “Nigeria has invested in enough vaccines that can cover over 70 per cent of our population before the end of 2022. These vaccines are safe and efficacious; hence, it is better and safer to be vaccinated against this virus, now.”

He said the summit was to create the opportunity to identify successes, gaps and lessons learnt so far in Nigeria’s national response to the pandemic since March 2020 to date.

He added that the summit is also aimed at developing strategies to actualise the international commitments towards ending COVID-19 before the end of 2022.

“Today, we are here to assess the level of impact of our national response and develop strategies as we push through the last mile to end the pandemic while we build back better,” he said.

The SGF said, “There is no gainsaying that the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria, which was triggered when the index case was confirmed on the 27th of February 2020, precipitated significant disruptions to the healthcare system and socio-economic lives of Nigerians.

​”Due to the evolving dynamics of COVID-19 pandemic with progressive mutations of the virus to more transmissible and deadly variants, the international community has corroborated the insinuation that the pandemic will persist for few more years.

“This understanding has impelled world leaders recently to come to a conclusion that if efforts are not renewed and aggressive measures are not taken, COVID-19 pandemic will continue to ravage humanity well longer than earlier envisaged. Hence, the need to adopt an ambitious (but cautious) agenda to end the COVID-19 pandemic by the year 2022.”

He said the summit is a follow-up towards Nigeria’s commitment to the ambitious global agenda/movement to end the COVID-19 pandemic by 2022 and build back better.

“​Global efforts at ending COVID-19 pandemic are intrinsically linked to the call for nations of the world to take steps towards strengthening their health system and bio-security- which will make for better pandemic preparedness and the ability to respond more robustly and swiftly to future pandemics,” Mustapha said.

 

He asked stakeholders to encourage all eligible persons to get vaccinated and keep observing the necessary preventive COVID-19 measures.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

News

UK suspends indefinitely visitor visa applications from Nigeria

Published

on

The British High Commission said on Sunday that would suspend the processing of visitor visa applications from all red list countries, including Nigeria.

This was announced in a statement issued by the commission, a development comeing hours after the UK added Nigeria to its travel red list as a result of concerns over the Omicron COVID variant.

The UK said the decision on the suspension of processing visitor visa applications in Nigeria would be in effect until the travel ban was lifted.

The statement read in part, “To support the UK Government’s aim to protect public health from COVID-19 and associated variants of concern (VOC), UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) will pause making decisions on visitor visa applications in all red list countries, including Nigeria, until travel restrictions are lifted.

“Visit visas cover travel to the UK for tourism, visiting family and friends, undertaking short-term business activities (for example, attending meetings), undertaking short-term studies (under 6 months), taking part in research or exchange programmes as an academic, medical reasons (for example, receiving private medical treatment).

“If you apply for a visit visa in a red list country and you meet the UK Immigration Rules, your application will be paused. You will not receive a decision on your visit visa application whilst red list travel restrictions remain in place.

“You will not be able to request a refund of your visa fee once you have given your biometrics at a Visa Application Centre (VAC). If you already hold a valid visit visa and are intending to travel to England as a visitor from a red list country, you will not be allowed to enter.

“Separate guidance is available for travellers entering Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Use https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control and https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories.”

The commission also said visas or entry permits from red list countries would only be issued where there were compelling and compassionate circumstances.

It said, “There are only very limited exemptions to travel and entry requirements for critical workers and medical and compassionate cases. If you have submitted a visit visa application and you do not wish to withdraw, we will continue to hold your application. If you choose to continue with your visa application, you will not receive a decision on your visit visa whilst red list travel restrictions remain in place.”

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Former Army Chief, Gen. Wushishi, dies at 81

Published

on

Former Chief of Army Staff, General Mohammed Inuwa Wushishi

The Former Chief of Army Staff, General Mohammed Inuwa Wushishi, is dead.

According to a family source, General Wushishi died at a London Hospital.

General Wushishi was born in 1940 in Wushishi, Headquarters of Wushishi Local Government Area of Niger State.

READ ALSO:

He served as the Chief of Army Staff between October 1981 and October 1983, during the Second Republic.

He served in the Nigerian Army in various capacities, including General Officer Commanding, 4 Infantry Division, Nigerian Army, 1976; Commandant, Staff College, Jaji, Dec. 1979.

Continue Reading

Trending