Connect with us

Education

Police probe 19-year-old who threatened JAMB with N1b suit

Published

on

There was mild drama at the headquarters of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Bwari, FCT on Friday when Chinedu Ifesinachi John, a 19-year-old candidate in the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), who accused the board of altering his original score of 380, was handed over to the Nigeria Police for investigation.

The candidate, according to JAMB’s Head of Information and Media, Fabian Benjamin, has allegedly confessed to committing the offence.

He said: “The candidate who was paraded for forging the Board’s result has confessed after the Board discovered that he saved his sister’s number on his phone as 55019 and used the phone to send the fake result to his phone. When he sends such results they come as 55019.

“He pleaded for mercy that he had to do that when the result he got was not up to what could give him his desired programme.

“The police are on their way to Enugu to arrest his sister.”

There was mild drama at the headquarters of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Bwari, FCT on Friday when Chinedu Ifesinachi John, a 19-year-old candidate in the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), who accused the board of altering his original score of 380, was handed over to the Nigeria Police for investigation.

The candidate, according to JAMB’s Head of Information and Media, Fabian Benjamin, has allegedly confessed to committing the offence.

He said: “The candidate who was paraded for forging the Board’s result has confessed after the Board discovered that he saved his sister’s number on his phone as 55019 and used the phone to send the fake result to his phone. When he sends such results they come as 55019.

“He pleaded for mercy that he had to do that when the result he got was not up to what could give him his desired programme.

“The police are on their way to Enugu to arrest his sister.”

John had claimed he scored 380 in the examination conducted in June this year and was surprised to receive 265 from the board after the results were released. After several enquiries, 265 kept appearing as his score as against the 380 score.

Following the alleged “alteration” of the UTME score, his father, John Ifenkpam approached an Enugu – based lawyer, Ikeazor Akaiwe, who wrote to JAMB for another opportunity for the boy to retake the examination and demanded N1 billion as damages.

The lawyer said the N1 billion was to cover physical and emotional trauma the boy had suffered from being offered “two separate scores from 2019 – 2021.”

John claimed that his UTME scores from 2019 till 2021 had been “altered” by the board, thereby denying him the opportunity to study his desired course – medicine.

On Friday, the candidate, his father and lawyers traveled down to Abuja from Enugu state following an invitation from the management of the board led by the Registrar of JAMB, Prof Is-haq Oloyede.

Initially, the boy was given some minutes to “come clean” in a closed session with his father and lawyers about the results he was parading but insisted that his original score from the examination was 380.

At the Friday meeting, documentary evidence tendered by the board showed that John actually scored 265 not the 380 he had claimed.

Oloyede accused the candidate of result tempering, adding that he will be handed over to the police for investigation and subsequently prosecuted.

The Registrar said John was among 11 eleven other candidates who allegedly forged their results that the board would prosecute.

He said the original result issued to John would be withdrawn pending the end of the investigation.

He also said a team of security agents would visit Enugu state to arrest members of a tutorial group the boy confessed to belong to.

John’s lawyer, Ikeazor, appealed to the board to give room for further investigation.

He said: “I will not stand against investigation. Let there be investigation but what I will not agree to is to prejudge him.”

Education

IPPIS: I now earn salary of graduate assistant, says Unilorin VC

Published

on

Vice-chancellor, University of Ilorin, Prof Sulyman Abdulkareem, says he is being paid the salary of a graduate assistant as against his statutory payment at the end of the month, attributing this to glitches in the implementation of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System

The Unilorin VC estimated the deduction in his monthly salary to be more than 500 per cent decrease in the statutory emoluments of vice-chancellor in a dederal university.

He made the disclosure on Monday at a press briefing marking the beginning of the 36th convocation ceremony of the University in Ilorin.

Prof Abdulkareem also stated that he has no regrets making peace with the Academic Staff Union of University (ASUU) stating that not doing so previously, had caused the university untold damages.

The VC also used the occasion to tell the public of the many achievements of the school which is set to convoke a total of 10, 922 students at the convocation ceremonies.

The vice-chancellor though admitted that the IPPIS, as a payment system, is quite innovative and subscribes to all university workers migrating to the platform, however, observed that the platform has its challenges.

”A system created to solve one problem shouldn’t be seen to be creating other ones. You can’t imagine that I am being paid the salary of a graduate assistant rather than as the VC as it should be by the IPPIS system,” he said.

He however expressed the hope that the glitches would be sorted out soon.

Reacting to trending talks about the merit of Unilorin rejoining ASUU, Prof Abdulkareem said that he had no regrets whatsoever taking the university back into the fold of the academic union.

The university broke off as a member of ASUU at the height of an industrial crisis in 2001 but returned some three years back.

“Those who complain about Unilorin being back in the fold of ASUU do not even know what the university has lost or the damage such action has caused us.

“The university has paid a huge price for its staff not being part of the university unions. It took the effort of the unions to get us the earned allowance from the Federal government.

“Even when the money was released by the government it became an issue for the university to get it’s own N700 million for the staff because it was the unions that fought for the money and Unilorin, was not part of them.

The VC explained that it took the university being part of the union to unlock the money for the benefits of the varsity staffers.

He also explained that staff and even graduates of the university suffered untold victimisation wherever they went on account of not being part of ASUU.

“Our students were victimised both home and abroad, lecturers couldn’t get fellowships in other campuses. It wasn’t easy,” the VC said.

But giving an account of 2019/2020, the chief executive officer of Unilorin said that the institution achieved remarkable feats despite the ravages of the COVID-19 global pandemic.

For instance, the university got nominated for the Top 100 Achievements Award in the UK.

“In addition, the university emerged as one of the universities that produced the most employed graduates in Nigeria. What this says is that employers of labour should be fair to our graduates. They claim that our graduates are not well trained to take up jobs out there, that is not fair. Our students are well trained. All the employer needs to do is give them orientations and they will deliver,” he said.

Continue Reading

Education

Why Nigerian varsities are not among world best — NUC

Published

on

Poor funding is the main reason Nigerian universities are not ranked among the best in the world, Executive Secretary of National Universities Commission, NUC, Prof. Abubakar Rasheed, has said.

He however said the commission was planning to put in place stringent measures to curtail the proliferation of universities, especially by state governors and ensure adequate funding for universities.

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities has also lamented that teaching staff are taking over their jobs through the composition of committees by the university management where the teaching staff are made to head such committees.

The NUC executive secretary spoke in Abuja when the leadership of SSANU paid him a visit in his office, in Abuja, the NUC Executive Secretary advised the association to ensure that any time it was entering into any agreement with the Federal Government, such an agreement should be one that will be implementable.

Explaining why Nigerian universities were not among the highly ranked universities in the world, Prof Rasheed said funding had become a key challenge.

He said, “Once a university loses reputation, it has lost everything.  The NUC may come up with stringent measures on establishing state universities because some of the state-owned universities are not well funded.”

He noted with regret that in a particular university in the South-South, the state government released to the management about N452 million to run the institution in the previous year, and later slashed the money the next year to N91 million, with a further slash to N40 million.

“I am not sure they are paying salary to staff regularly.  Some private universities are sick already,” he said,  pointing out that a particular private university had not paid salary to staff for one and half years.

On the concern raised by SSANU President, Comrade Mohammed Ibrahim, who led the delegation that state governors were proliferating universities as if it had become a constituency project, the NUC boss said the governors were interested in leaving a legacy but not investing in the established universities.

He, however, expressed optimism that the new NUC Act would give the commission more powers, unlike the existing one, adding that there should be a master plan to be submitted and approved by the commission before any new university was established.

He debunked the claim that some of the commissions set up by the NUC in the universities were dominated by teaching staff, against non-teaching staff.

Speaking earlier, SSANU President, Comrade Ibrahim, lamented that some of the jobs meant for non-teaching staff were being taken over by teaching staff.

He said the association believed in excellent service and doing things in the right way, adding that the voices of members of SSANU would only be heard when necessary.

He said, “Our members are becoming more and more troubled by the recent developments coming out of the university system. Our members’ jobs are being taken over by so many committees in the universities.

“There is the issue of non-payment of salaries, especially for our members in state universities. Some have not received salaries for up to six months, yet we hear that NUC is giving accreditation to new state universities.

“NUC should ensure that our members are not languishing in their offices. We are also disturbed over the negative development of nonuniformity in the conditions of service in the universities. This is happening to the morale of our members. We call for a uniform standard in the universities.”

Continue Reading

Education

FUOYE begins 2021/2022 admission screening exercise, pegs cut off mark

Published

on

Federal University Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE) has commenced the 2021/2022 admission screening exercise.

A statement made available to newsmen on Tuesday, and co-signed by the Public Relations (PRO) of the University, Foluso Ogunmodede and Media Adviser to the VC, Wole Balogun, disclosed that the announcement for the commencement of the screening exercise was made public on Tuesday.

 It added that only candidates who sat for the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), and made  FUOYE their first choice are eligible for the screening.

The statement added that the cut-off mark for the screening is now pegged at 160.

Federal University Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE) has commenced the 2021/2022 admission screening exercise.

A statement made available to newsmen on Tuesday, and co-signed by the Public Relations (PRO) of the University, Foluso Ogunmodede and Media Adviser to the VC, Wole Balogun, disclosed that the announcement for the commencement of the screening exercise was made public on Tuesday.

 It added that only candidates who sat for the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), and made  FUOYE their first choice are eligible for the screening.

The statement added that the cut-off mark for the screening is now pegged at 160.

The screening exercise is also available for interested candidates for Direct Entry who possess NCE, HND, and JUPEB etc.

For further information on available academic courses and procedures for the screening exercise,  interested candidate should log on to http://ecampus. fuoye.edu.ng/putme.

Eagle online

Continue Reading

Trending