Connect with us

metro

Insecurity: Concerns in Abuja as schools resume Sept 19

Published

on

Ochogwu Sunday

There has been concerns in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja over the activities of bloodthirsty gunmen who have been on the prowl killing and kidnapping unsuspecting residents of the city.

DAILY POST reports that the nation’s capital has not been left out in the menace of deteriorating security situation that has relatively enveloped the entire country, ranging from banditry, activities of the unknown gunmen and the incessant clashes between farmers and herdsmen at the satellite areas.

In less than 25 days, several communities in Abuja have been attacked by the faceless criminal elements, most of which were underreported.

DAILY POST recalls that unknown gunmen invaded the Pegi community in Kuje, Abuja on Sunday, September 6 and abducted one Mrs Bukola Oladapo, and her two daughters for ransom purpose.

Residents of the community said the attackers armed with AK-47 rifles, scaled the fence of the victims’ house at a resettlement area in the community and forced the doors open. .

Similarly, a father, Abdullahi Benda, and his 23-year-old son, Jibrin Abdullahi Benda, were abducted at Yangoji village in Kwali Area council of Abuja on Friday, August 4 when the criminal elements invaded the community with heavy weapons.

Recall also that gunmen, suspected to be kidnappers on August 17, abducted the village head of Jibi community, Esu Jibi, one Ibrah Dahiru Liman and injured two vigilantes along Dei-dei-Zuba Express way in the nation’s capital.

Also, armed men on August 19 attacked the Dogon-Ruwa community, Kwali Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, kidnapping four residents while others were seriously injured.

The recent surge in security crisis in the FCT may not be unconnected to the increasing rate of banditry currently bedeviling some neighbouring states including Niger, Kaduna and others.

Meanwhile, the Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA has announced that the first term for the 2021/2022 academic session would commence on September 19, 2021.

A statement by the acting director, Department of Quality Assurance of the Education Secretariat of the FCT Administration, issued last week, revealed that while borders will resume Sunday, September 19, day students shall resume Monday, September 20.

The statement which was signed by Mrs Uzoanya M.E. for the acting education secretary, indicated that the term will end on Friday, December 17, 2021.

DAILY POST reports that secondary schools in the territory were earlier scheduled to resume the new academic session 2021/2022 on Monday, September 6, 2021.

But Mrs Uzoanya O, the Director of Quality Assurance, Education Secretariat who spoke with our correspondent in Abuja, explained that the resumption date was shifted to enable students participating in the 2021 West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination WASSCE to complete the exercise and graduate.

According to her, schools in the territory are just commencing their first term following the shutdown of schools due to COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, stating that if the resumption was not shifted, those promoted to SS 3 may be stranded as the previous class is still on ground writing their examinations.

“We cannot have two SS 3 classes so we have to wait till those ones that are writing examination have at least covered many subjects and are close to the end of the exercise”, she added.

However, the security situation in the territory has triggered fear amongst some parents and guardians in the city as schools are set for resumption. This follows the story of attacks on schools in many neighbouring states where scores of students have been abducted by bandits.

A trader in Wuse maker, Mrs Mayowa Ademola who spoke with DAILY POST, said she was happy that schools are finally reopening but scared of possible attacks as is the case in some states particularly the Northern part of the country.

She said, “It is a good thing that our children will soon resume to continue their learning but the truth is that there is insecurity everywhere. How are we sure that this criminal elements will not target our children? God forbid!

“I’m begging the security agencies in Abuja to please secure our children from the hand of these evil people”.

Similarly, a civil servant who identified himself as Mr Onome Mathew, called on FCTA to beef up security in schools across the territory particularly the areas facing incessant attacks, else it will be so embarrassing to have any school child kidnapped from a school in Abuja.

But speaking with DAILY POST, Mr Kasim Musa, the Public Relations Officer, FCT Education Secretariat said efforts are on top gear to ensure that students are secured in all schools across the territory.

He assured residents of adequate security in schools, stating that the FCTA is working with all security agencies and relevant stakeholders in the nation’s capital to block access to schools by kidnappers and other criminal elements.

“We are working with security operatives in FCT and local vigilantes to make sure that students and pupils are not attacked in schools. We have been doing this and its working for us. By God’s grace, we have not had any incident in any school here and we will not have,” he added.

Source: dailypost.ng

metro

Don’t lose hope, all will be well again, Abiara tells Nigerians

Published

on

 

Founder of Christ Apostolic Church, Agbala Itura, Prophet Samuel Abiara, has urged Nigerians not to lose hope in the country, saying all will be well again.

as he announced the 39th edition of Jesus Festival being hosted by the church.

The festival has been slated to hold from December 6 to 12 at the church’s headquarters in Ibadan, Oyo State.

A coterie of top church leaders has been slated to speak at the event. Many top gospel artists are also expected to grace the occasion which will draw participants from across the world.

Abiara who addressed newsmen at the Lagos branch of the church on Monday pleaded with Nigerians not to lose hope in the country.

He said all would be well and called on Nigerians in the diaspora to get set to come back home and be part of the good things God would do.

The 79-year old prophet and former General Evangelist of the CAC expressed confidence that Nigeria would overcome its present challenges.

He said, “I want to assure all Nigerians that all will be well. The present crisis we are facing is a phase. It will become history and we all will have cause to rejoice. I can assure you that the future will be okay”

Prophet Abiara said there is no country that does not have challenges. “Who would have believed 9/11 would happen in the US. From time to time nations go through crises. Ours may be man-made crises but then it’s a phase. I believe we will overcome this phase and move to a better and higher ground.”

He urged Nigerians to put their mind at rest and put their hope in God for a better country. “That is the way to start building a better country. We must first hope in God, put our trust in him. Then we must collectively work hard to bring an end to the issues that are setting us back. We have no other country but this country. We can’t afford to rubbish it all the time,” he said.

The CAC prophet said many have often accused him of being too patriotic and patronising of the government. “Some people even think the government gives me money. But I don’t go near their money. I have never applied for a grant from the government even for my foundation. I just believe we need to be positive about our country and work for its progress,” he said

He urged Nigerians not to listen to prophets of doom who don’t see good things about Nigeria. He assured that “Nigeria will be great again.”

Abiara also seized the opportunity of the media chat to call on the government to listen to the cries of the masses.

He said, “That we hope for a good country does not give room for the government to do as they like. Government must listen to the people who elected them into office. They can’t afford to ignore the cries of the people. The youth population is a critical segment of the country.

“Government must give priority to them and hear them out. God can raise a young person to lead as in the future. So government must not take them for granted.”

On the Jesus festival, Abiara said when God gave him the vision 39 years ago, it was primarily to create a platform where people from all tribes and denominations will come to honour and celebrate Jesus.

“The festival is a festival of Jesus. We believe coming together to praise the name of Jesus will bring healing and progress to Nigeria. Yearly we gather and invite people from all walks of life to celebrate Jesus with us.”

The festival in time past had been graced by the late Archbishop Benson Idahosa, Rev Benny Hinn and a host of top church leaders.

This time, Bishop Wale Oke, Pastor Mathew Ashimolowo, Rev Esther Ajayi and Rev Funke Adejumo are expected to be at the event to preach.

Also expected at the event are the President of the Christ Apostolic Church, Pastor S. O.Oladele and the General Evangelist of the church, Prophet Hezekiah Oladeji and Prophet Funso Akande.

An array of gospel artists including Evangelist Tope Alabi, Bisi Alawiye, Psalmos, Yetunde Are and Elijah Akintunde are expected to minister in songs at the event. Woli Deborah of Ephphatah In’t Music Ministry and Evang. Dorcas Awolumate are also expected at the weekend-long event.

Prophet Abiara said Nigeria is blessed with great preachers of the gospel and gospel artists. He expressed confidence that the week-long programme will bring transformation and healing to Nigeria.

The programme will feature special prayers sessions for some specific individuals and also for the nation. There will be both morning and afternoon sessions featuring teaching and exposition of God’s word.

The Chairman of the Planning Committee, Bishop Isaac Abiara, said adequate security arrangements have been put in place for the festival.

“We have contacted the police and we have been assured of adequate security. We will also observe the covid-19 protocols. Adequate accommodation is being put in place for the programme,” he said.

Continue Reading

metro

Police rescue 7 victims, foil attack on Niger communities

Published

on

Police in Niger State have rescued seven travellers reportedly abducted on Tegina-Zungeru Road, in Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State from their kidnappers.

The spokesman of Niger State Police Command, DSP Wasiu Abiodun, who confirmed this, said the incident happened on Saturday but that the victims were rescued by a combined team of police and army.

Abiodun said, “Police tactical team in collaboration with the army were immediately mobilised to the scene, where the assailants were equally engaged in a gun battle and as a result of this, the victims were rescued and subsequently ran back to their vehicle to continue their journey while the road was cleared for the road users and normalcy was restored.”

READ ALSO:

He said the police in the state also foiled a planned attack by bandits on Goto-Rishi Village in Kaffin-Koro Paikoro LGA.

He said the police and vigilante teams in Kaffin-Koro received intelligence of a planned attack and were mobilised to the area where they engaged the hoodlums in a fierce gun battle through which the bandits escaped with bullet wounds into the forest.

He said one AK-47 rifle with three live ammunition and two Honda motorcycles without registration numbers were recovered from the scene.

He said efforts were ongoing to arrest the fleeing hoodlums as an investigation was ongoing.

However, Abiodun revealed that Gawu- Babangida community in Gurara Local Government Area of the state has donated a Toyota Hilux van to the police in an effort to further strengthen them and community collaboration in the fight against insecurity.

He said the community also donated four vehicles to vigilante groups of Izom, Lambata, Gawu and Gurara communities for effective security patrol.

Daily Trust

Continue Reading

metro

Man commits suicide after losing company N150,000 bet

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Police Command on Tuesday said it was investigating the death of a man identified as Adegbite, who allegedly committed suicide after losing N150,000 to sport betting.

The incident happened in Pegi in the Kuje area council of Abuja in November.

Adegbite was said to have placed a bet with the money which his boss gave him to pay his colleagues, hoping to replace it after winning.

One of his colleagues at work, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Adegbite committed suicide after he lost the money.

READ ALSO:

He said, “We were surprised when it happened. He was given the money to pay some people at his place of work. The money was in the region of N150,000. He took the money to a sport betting shop and staked it. He selected some matches but he did not win. He had hoped he would win and pay back the money.

“The following morning, he was not seen by his neighbours. They noticed that he was inside; they broke the door open and found his body dangling on the ceiling fan. They alerted the police, who removed his body.”

The spokesperson for the FCT Police Command, DSP Josephine Adeh, confirmed the incident.

She, however, said investigation was ongoing into the incident.

Punch

Continue Reading

Trending