The Ministry of Education has assured that candidates who missed the 2021 West Africa Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) in the South East, will be given another opportunity to write the examination.
Sonny Echono, the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, made this known while monitoring some examination centres in Abuja on Monday.
Echono frowned at the Sept. 13 disruption of examination centres in the South East.
He, however, expressed satisfaction with the conduct of the examination across the country which was written by over 1.57 million candidates.
According to Echono, the ministry will put modalities in place to ensure that the candidates who missed the examination in the South East are given other opportunities to write the examination.
“We are very pleased that all around the country; examinations are going on peacefully as we have a total of over 19,000 exams centres across the country with over 1.57million registered candidates.
“Besides the disruptions we had on Sept.13 in the South East where some candidates were stopped from doing the exams, it is a peaceful examination.
“We are complying with all the standards and ethics of examinations, we are pursuing very hard more cases, incidence or possibilities of examinations malpractice because we have a zero tolerance for examinations malpractice.
“We shall punish any person found culpable and ensure that sanity is restored in our system,’’ he said.
Echono further said that the ministry did not encounter challenges in preparing students for the examinations aside from the COVID-19 pandemic.
“All COVID-19 safety protocols are being strictly adhered to in centres across the country,” he said.
He said that although some schools were closed in states due to COVID-19 pandemic, alternative arrangements were made especially for exit classes to take the examination.
On the possibilities of examination malpractices, Echono said that cases of examination malpractices were usually collated at the end of the examination, pointing out that the culprits would also be brought to book.
He said that the ministry was collaborating with relevant examination bodies and Non Government Organisations to fish out candidates involved in examination malpractices.
“This is because we have a lot of miscreant who are perpetrating and deceiving people. We are going to undertake a general overhaul for all those offering so called services to candidates.
“We didn’t see much of malpractices in internal examinations like this because these are students who are already in school,” he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the permanent secretary led the monitoring team to the Federal Government Girls College (FGGC) Bwari and Government Girls Secondary School, Dutse.
It was also observed that the students of the GGSS, Dutse, were in full compliance with COVID-19 protocols.
Muaz Hassan, The Eagle Online
ASUU hints of fresh strike from Wednesday
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Monday gave the Federal Government a fresh deadline of 48 hours over its demand to honour the agreement with the union or face a fresh industrial action.
President of ASUU, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, disclosed this in a telephone interview with Daily Trust.
The labour leader said after the expiration of a three-week ultimatum to the FG on Sunday, the union had commenced mobilization of its members and would conclude its consultation with various branches across the federation by Wednesday and subsequently make its position known.
ASUU on November 15 gave the FG a three-week ultimatum over the latter’s failure to meet the union’s demands.
ASUU had threatened to embark on another strike after the FG failed to implement the Memorandum of Action it signed with the union leading to the suspension last year’s strike.
Prof. Osodeke said despite meeting with the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, on October 14, 2021, on the issues including funding for public universities, earned academic allowances, University Transparency Accountability Solution, promotion arrears, renegotiation of 2009 ASUU-FGN agreement, and the inconsistencies in Integrated Payroll and Personnel information system payment, none of the demands had been met.
Recall that the Federal Government had promised to pay N30bn as revitalisation fund to universities as well as pay N22.1bn earned allowances to university workers.
Kwara varsity dismisses lecturer over sexual harassment
Kwara State University (KWASU) on Monday announced the dismissal of a member of its academic staff, Pelumi Adewale, for alleged sexual harassment of one Tosin Adegunsoye, a student of the school.
KWASU Vice-Chancellor, Mustapha Akanbi, made the made the announcement in Ilorin while addressing a news conference to herald the eighth and ninth convocation ceremonies of the institution.
Akanbi said that Adewale had ceased to be a lecturer of the school for bringing the institution into disrepute.
“The security agency has taken up the case and it is in court already, but I am informing you officially that the man is now an ex-staff member of the institution. He is a disgrace to our great institution and we won’t condone such acts,” the VC said.
Adewale was on September 11 arraigned before a magistrate court sitting in Ilorin, over an accusation of sexual harassment.
The suspect was arrested by the State Intelligence Bureau over offences bordering on criminal intimidation, sexual harassment and examination malpractices.
According to the First Information Report, a petition dated October 15 by Adegunsoye alleged that in September, Adewale, a lecturer assigned to teach her a course, MLS 212 Cell and Molecular Biology, called her and threatened to fail her in her forthcoming examination if she refused to have sexual intercourse with him.
The police reportedly instructed Adegunsoye to play along with the lecturer in order to obtain incontrovertible evidence.
The lecturer, thereafter, was said to have lured the student into his bedroom apartment around 8.30pm at Taoheed Road, Basin Area, Ilorin, where he gave her a new question paper and KWASU answer script to rewrite her examination with a promise to have sexual intercourse with her till daybreak.
The suspect was however apprehended in the process by the detectives who were hiding at a secured location to monitor the development.
JAMB’ll clear backlog of illegal admissions — Oloyede
•Bars CBT centres from operations
REGISTRAR of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, has said the board would soon clear the backlog of illegal admissions conducted by tertiary education institutions in the country.
Recall that JAMB had recently uncovered 706,189 illegal admissions by universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, and other related institutions.
Speaking after receiving the Education Correspondents Association of Nigeria, ECAN’s, Award of Excellence weekend in Abuja, Oloyede said the move was to rescue students who had the requisite qualifications but were admitted illegally.
” (On) the issue of illegal admission that we want to put a halt to, we want to clear the backlog and ensure that those who have been improperly admitted but have the minimum qualification are rescued.
“We want to continue the campaign to discourage those who are committing such illegal action to stop doing such,” Oloyede said.
- Nigeria, Egypt, South Africa… Canada rejects COVID test results from 10 African countries
- Separate us, my wife is dating Rector — Offa Poly lecturer, Bankole tells court
- (UPDATED) 8 children die inside vehicle in Lagos community (VIDEO +PHOTO)
The JAMB boss expressed deep appreciation to ECAN for considering him worthy of the award, saying “we appreciate the gesture and I want to assure you that we have not done this in vain.
”The objective of presenting this award will be attained. The purpose is to be able to encourage us to do more of what we have been assigned by the Federal Government. I assure you, we will deliver on the mandate.”
On the 2022 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, Oloyede said the Board had decided to adopt a cashless system in the registration process, adding that JAMB would also prohibit Computer Based Test, CBT, centres from selling e-PINs to guard against extortion of candidates.
“On our campaign on cashless CBT centres, particularly during our registration exercise, it is known that many CBT centres, despite supervision, still manage to exploit candidates.
“We want to put a stop to that, we have intensified monitoring but part of what we are doing is to ensure we protect the students against this extortion, and that is why we are asking all those (the candidates pay through us) and we will pay the centres (their service charge).
”With this, anybody who collects money from the centre would have been seen to have done a wrong thing because you are not supposed to collect any money….
- WARNING: Hackers can access your money if you answer their calls
- Prosecuting Nnamdi Kanu while ignoring bandits is nepotism – Ohanaeze chieftain tells Buhari
- How to halt N1t electricity subsidy, CBN’s N1.5t interventions
“We are also going to ensure that ePIN is not something that they will be selling at the, CBT, centres. We will ensure that anybody who wants to sell ePIN will not be a CBT centre. Once you are a CBT centre, you have lost the right to sell ePIN, so we can hold the ePIN sellers responsible for what they do. Once you are a CBT centre, you cannot also say you want to sell ePIN.”
Commending the media for its role as a representative of the people and in promotion of good governance, Oloyede called for support in the various campaigns embarked upon by the Board to ensure a better admission system.
“We appeal for support (on the issue) of fake certificates. Issuance and usage of fake certificates to secure admission into our institutions, particularly among the A level candidates.
“We are working very hard to tighten the noose and make it impossible for those who engage in such an illicit action to succeed.
“The next issue is the campaign we have just introduced; Physical and Health Education and Computer Studies as UTME subjects. We are asking and sensitizing the public, particularly the students who are to take the exam, that these are two Science subjects that will be added to their choice to widen opportunities for candidates to be able to access tertiary education, ” he said.
Don’t lose hope, all will be well again, Abiara tells Nigerians
Police rescue 7 victims, foil attack on Niger communities
Edinson Cavani wants Barcelona FC move
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
- Education2 days ago
ASUU hints of fresh strike from Wednesday
- metro2 days ago
(UPDATED) 8 children die inside vehicle in Lagos community (VIDEO +PHOTO)
- Politics5 days ago
Orji Kalu, Umahi ‘in desperate move to return to PDP’ ― Nkole
- metro5 days ago
#EndSARS panel blames computer for errors in report
- metro4 days ago
Riot in Osogbo as Police allegedly kills truck driver
- metro6 days ago
Lagos hoodlums hack NURTW boss at home, shoot him dead in hospital
- metro4 days ago
How I became pregnant for my husband’s 17-year-old son, by Nasarawa housewife
- metro5 days ago
Hunters, others comb Osun bushes as herdsmen abduct couple on farm