Terrorists are in for a shock: their sources of funding are being blocked, the Federal Government has said.
Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami (SAN) attributed the success recorded so far in the battle against insurgency to the crippling of terrorism financing.
Speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on the sidelines of the ongoing United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York, United States, the minister restated that Boko Haram had been “decimated to a large extent”.
He also hinted at the possibility of filing fresh charges against Yoruba Nation agitator Sunday Adeyemo, popularly called Igboho.
On funding of insurgency, Malami said: “The terrorist funding and financing has indeed been crippled substantially and that eventually translated to some major improvements being recorded as far as crippling the strength of terrorists is concerned within the nation.
“You can see visibly that we are indeed witnessing tremendous success associated with the Boko Haram, which translate to significant decimation of the Boko Haram terrorists.
“They (Boko Haram) have been decimated to a larger extent and you can see what is unfolding as far as the North West banditry activities are concerned.”
Malami said the Federal Government has identified those who are responsible for financing terrorism in the country.
According to him, an “aggressive” investigation is being conducted that is “positively” impacting the fight against terrorism in the country.
Malami would not disclose details of the ongoing investigation because it will undermine the “success” being recorded.
He said: “We have succeeded in identifying those that are responsible for funding terrorists.
“We have also blocked the leakages associated with the funding and then embarking on an aggressive investigation that is indeed impacting positively in terms of the fight against terrorism.
“But then, the truth of the matter is that investigation is ongoing, advancing and for the purpose of investigation, I wouldn’t like to be pre-emptive in terms of making disclosures that would have the effect of undermining the successes we are recording as far as investigation is concerned.”
Malami said the arrest and detention of alleged terrorism financiers will be legally backed by judicial process.
“One thing I can tell you for sure is that whatever we do in terms of detention and in terms of arrest is indeed backed by judicial process.
“We have indeed obtained a legitimate court order taking into consideration what we have presented before the court; the court eventually exercised its discretion in terms of granting orders that we can have them in custody.
“This is pending the conclusion of the investigation, which investigation, in essence, is indeed deeply taking place and we are making a lot of successes and recording a lot of progress in the direction of the investigation.”
The minister said fresh charges may be filed against Igboho, whom an Oyo state high court awarded N20 billion as “exemplary and aggravated damages” against the Federal Government over the raid on his Ibadan home on July 1.
Two persons were said to have been killed, while 12 others were arrested following the raid.
Malami said the Federal Government’s position on the judgment was about “law and jurisdiction”.
“Obedient to court orders and court judgments have to be understood within the context that there are associated rights and interests that are vested in the Federal Government.
“This is inclusive of rights of appealing against a judgment, inclusive of the right to file an application for setting aside the purported judgment and order.
“And indeed, it is inclusive of the possibility of filling a fresh action if indeed the jurisdiction of the court that was alleged to have indeed handed that judgment is an issue.
“So, we are doing the needful in terms of looking at the law as it exists and then working within the context of the law in ensuring that justice is done as far as the contending issues between the parties are concerned.”
Ifeanyi Uba seeks court permission to visit Nnamdi Kanu in DSS facility
The senator representing Anambra South, ifeanyi Uba, has sought an order of a Federal High Court, Abuja to visit leader of the prosecribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, at the Department of State Service (DSS) detention.
Uba, who is also the candidate of Young Progressives Party (YPP) in the Nov. 6 Governorship Election, said he filed the application so that an order of the court could be obtained to direct the DSS allow him access to the detainee.
The lawmaker, in a motion on notice with suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/383/2015 dated and filed on Oct. 15 by his counsel, Agugoesi Ikem, sought three orders.
He said as a senator from the zone, he took it upon himself to carry out his oversight legislative functions to visit the Kanu at the detention facility to ascertain from him “if he is involved in any way in what is happening in the South East.
“AN ORDER of this Honourable Court granting Leave to Sen. IfeanyiUba to visit thé Defendant, NnamdiKanu, as part of his oversight legislative function.
“AN ORDER of this Honourable court directing the Complainant and/or the Department of State Services(DSS) to allow the said Senator Dr. IfeanyiUba access to their detention facility for purposes of visiting the Defendant, NnamdiKanu.
“AND OTHER ORDERS OR FURTHER ORDERS as the Honourable court may deein fit to make in the circ mstances of the case,” it read.
In the affidavit in support of the motion, Uba said that as a lawmaker from the South East Geopolitical Zone, he was bound by the oath he took to ensure peace and security not only in the region but the entire Nigeria.
It reads in part: “That I state that as a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, it is one of my responsibilities to ensure the promotion of the Constitution of Nigeria and other laws of Nigeria.
“That I know that the Defendant in this matter was arrested and brought into Nigeria by the Department of State Services(DSS) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and since he was brought into Nigeria, he had been detained at the detention facility of the DSS pending his trial.
“That I know that by the Constitution of Nigeria every citizen, including the Defendant, that is charged with an offence is presumed innocent until the charge is proven.
“That I know that the Defendant was charged with several offence and the DSS had only produced him on one occasion in court.
“That there is an allegation that criminalities are being championed by the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra under the leadership of the detained Defendant; an allegation which has been denied severally; yet the situation continues to worsen.
“That I visited and intend to visit the Defendant in my capacity as a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and for purposes of attempting to ameliorate and fashion a meeting point or create a discussion table aimed at reducing tension and quelling the agitation and killings in the South East,” Uba said.
However, no date has been fixed to hear the application.
FG Files Fresh Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu
The Federal Government has filed an amended seven-count charge against the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, before a Federal High Court in Abuja.
The fresh charges border on treasonable felony and terrorism following the pending charges he was facing since 2016.
Meanwhile, the court has issued hearing notice in the case, which is billed to commence on Thursday, October 21.
The notice titled Federal Republic of Nigeria Versus Nnamdi Kanu with suit number: FHC/ABJ/CR/383/15, was served on Kanu’s lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor and that of the prosecution, Shuaibu Labaran.
The notice indicates that the court presided by Justice Binta Nyako made fresh directives on the conduct of the proceedings throughout the case.
“This case will be transferred from the General Cause List to the hearing paper for Thursday 21st October 2021at 9 o’clock forenoon and will come on to be on that day if the business of the court permits or otherwise on some adjustment day of which you will receive no further notice,” the notice reads.
“If either party desires to postpone the hearing, he must apply to the court as soon as possible for that purpose and if the application is based on any matter of fact, he must be prepared to give proof of those facts.
“The parties are warned that at the hearing, they are required to bring forward all the evidence by witnesses or by documents which each of them desires to rely on in support of his own case and in contradiction of that of his opponent.
“The proof will be required at the hearing and not on a subsequent day, and parties failing to bring their evidence forward at the proper time may find themselves absolutely precluded from adducing it at all, or at best only allowed to do so on payment of substantial costs to the other side, and on such other terms as the court deems fits to impose.
“Parties desirous to enforce the attendance of witnesses should apply at once to the court to issue one or more summonses for the attendance of the witnesses required.
“It is indispensable that the application should be made so as to allow time for reasonable notice to the witnesses required.
“If the witness is required to bring books or papers, they must be particularized in the summons sufficiently to enable him to understand what is meant.
” Any party summoning a witness through the court thereby becomes liable to pay such witness reasonable sum of money to be fixed by the court for his expense and loss of time.
“The court may refuse to enforce the attendance of a witness unless such sum has been fixed and deposited in the court.
“If either party desires to use in evidence at the hearing, any book or document in the possession or power of the other party, he must give the other party, reasonable notice in writing to produce It at the hearing, failing which he will not be allowed to give any secondary evidence of its contents.”
Toke Makinwa unveiled as Gulder Ultimate Search 12 anchor
Popular OAP Toke Makinwa has been unveiled as host for the 2021 edition of the survival reality show, Gulder Ultimate Search.
She was unveiled on Saturday less than 24 hours after the organisers tasked over 61,000 Instagram followers to guess the show’s new host.
“It’s about time! The age of craftsmanship is upon us and@tokemakinwais ready for the journey. Welcome to the #GulderUltimateSearch,” the video’s caption reads.
Confirming the announcement, Makinwa also shared the video via her Instagram page.
“The council of Elders called and I answer. The age of Craftmanship is finally upon us.
“My name is Toke Makinwa. I am the anchor of the Gulder Ultimate Search – The Age of Craftmanship. Now let the adventures begin,” she said.
She added: “Gulder Ultimate Search is back and guess who your host of the season is????
“You guessed correct. The TM season is fully on.
“The council of elders called, the age of Craftsmanship is finally upon us, see you at the jungle.”
Burna Boy: I will never get married
Seven killed, 140 injured in Sudan coup protest
World Bank blacklists 17 Nigerians, firms over corrupt practices
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
- Entertainment6 days ago
Tiwa Savage speaks on leaked sex video
- Business7 days ago
FG scraps DPR, PPPRA, PEF, sacks CEOs, inaugurates new agencies
- Business7 days ago
AfCFTA: FG to regulate road transport system
- Business7 days ago
FG sacks CEOs of DPR, PPPRA, PEF, agencies scrapped
- Politics7 days ago
2023: Northern youths back power shift to South…to mobilise 20 million votes for Osinbajo
- News7 days ago
61-year-old estate agent shot dead during church service in Ilorin
- metro6 days ago
61-year old pastor rapes, impregnates teenager in Ondo
- Latest News7 days ago
Ifeanyi Uba seeks court permission to visit Nnamdi Kanu in DSS facility