Connect with us

metro

Ekiti: Soldiers engage gunmen in shootout, rescue six abductees

Published

on

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers engaged solders in a shootout in two different locations in Ayebode and Ilasa communities in Ikole Local Government Area of Ekiti State on Thursday.

Police spokesman, ASP Sunday Abutu, who confirmed the incident to newsmen in Ado-Ekiti on Friday, said the gunmen abducted three persons during the confrontation.

Abutu stated that the combined forces of the military and the police rescued six other captives from the gunmen.

“The information we heard was that four persons were abducted. Security operatives responded swiftly to the situation and rescued six persons.

“We have begun investigation and we will try and ensure that the abductees are brought back safe and sound,” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that though the solders foiled kidnap attempts in the two communities, three commuters were later picked up by the gunmen as they escaped into the bush.

NAN also gathered that those kidnapped were held at Ayedun-Ekiti, a town near Ayebode-Ekiti where soldiers had earlier botched a kidnap attempt.

The Thursday incident, which eyewitnesses said occurred around 10 a.m., led to desertion of the Ayedun-Ilasa-Ayebode Highway for several hours.

An eyewitness, also a victim, told newsmen in Ado Ekiti that the soldiers engaged the gunmen at two different locations – Ayebode and Ilasa and pursued them into the bush to ensure that their operations didn’t succeed.

According to the source, three passengers traveling from Ayedun-Ekiti to Ilasa-Ekiti were not that lucky as the gunmen picked them up after escaping from soldiers.

The source added that those who became victims were traveling along Ayebode-Ilasa Road, when the gunmen started to shoot.

“Those who escaped the scene quickly called the nearby Army post and the troops responded swiftly.

“Two of the occupants of a vehicle that forcefully escaped the scene were hit by bullets and sustained fractures in their legs, while their car was riddled with bullets. The soldiers succeeded in pursuing the kidnappers into the bush, but I don’t think they were able to apprehend any of them,” the source said.

The shootout between the soldiers and gunmen was said to have forced motorists to quickly take detours to prevent being hit by bullets.

“It was sporadic shootings for some minutes as the soldiers engaged the kidnappers. The soldiers acted gallantly, but the kidnappers escaped into the bush through a secondary school in Ilasa.

“I think another gang surfaced on Ayedun-Ilasa Road and kidnapped three persons as they escaped into the bush,’’ the eyewitness said.

metro

Joseph Wayas, former senate president, is dead

Published

on

Joseph Wayas, a former president of the senate in the Second Republic

Joseph Wayas, a former president of the senate in the Second Republic, has died at the age of 80.

According to Christian Ita, special adviser to the Cross River governor on media and publicity, Wayas died in the early hours of Tuesday in a London hospital.

Ben Ayade, Cross River governor, was quoted as saying Wayas’ death is a “monumental loss” to the state and Nigeria.

The governor said Wayas left “indelible footprints on the sands of time”.

READ ALSO:

“As a state, Cross River is in pains as we mourn the passing of our illustrious son. He was a rare gem. Dr Wayas’ demise is indeed a monumental loss to our dear state and Nigeria,” Ayade was quoted as saying.

“As Senate President, Dr Wayas contributed to the deepening of Nigeria’s democratic ethos through his robust and vibrant leadership of the upper legislative chamber.

“And since his retirement from active politics, the former Senate President had been playing a fatherly and stabilising role in the politics and affairs of our state.”

The governor condoled with the family of Wayas and said his death is a “collective loss and the pains a shared one”.

“We are with you in this moment of grief. We have you in our hearts and prayers,” he said.

Wayas, born May 21, 1941, served as Nigeria’s senate president between 1979 and 1983.

The Cable

Continue Reading

metro

BREAKING: Tight Security as hoodlums set Senator Barau’s Kano office on fire

Published

on

Senator Barau Jibrin

Security has been beefed up in Kano following an arson attack on the campaign office of Senator Barau Jibrin, a 2023 gubernatorial aspirant in Kano.

Jibrin is one of the key member of the Kano APC G-7 led by Senator Ibrahim Shekarau.

The G-7 got a major victory on Tuesday when an FCT High Court recognised executives elected at their ward congress but dissolved those elected by the Governor Abdullahi Ganduje faction.

Hoodlums in their hundreds were said to have attacked the campaign office located on Maiduguri Road in the late hours of Wednesday.

READ ALSO:

The affected building is owned by a former Minister of Labour and Productivity, Alhaji Musa Gwadabe.

The factional APC state secretariat is heavily guarded by the police.

When contacted to react about the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer, Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, said they are currently in a meeting over the issue.

But the Commissioner of Police Ismaila Dikko, was quoted to have said already his men have taken over the place.

“We are already in control of the situation, and my Men have fully taken over the place we investigating what happens,” he reportedly said.

The development happened hours after one of the lawyers who represented Shekarau’s faction was locked up in his Kano chamber.

, Jibrin, currently represents Kano North at the senate.

Daily Trust

Continue Reading

metro

Heavy casualty as troops pound Boko Haram, ISWAP in Buni Yadi

Published

on

The Nigerian Army says the troops of of Sector 2 Operation Hadin Kai have again inflicted heavy casualty on Boko Haram and Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists in a fierce battle at Buni Yadi in Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, said this in a statement on Wednesday.

He said the feat was achieved on Tuesday.

Nwachukwu said the terrorists, who frantically attempted to gain access into Buni Yadi, met stiff resistance from troops of 27 Task Force Brigade and Nigerian Army Special Forces School, supported by the Nigerian Air Force component.

READ ALSO:

He added that personnel of the Nigerian Police also supported the troops who gallantly fought and overwhelmed the terrorists with superior firepower.

According to him, the ferocious battle forced the criminals to withdraw in different directions having suffered heavy losses.

He said: “Several gun trucks with their occupants were taken out by the troops. Preliminary battle damage assessment revealed the precision with which Air and Land troops engaged the terrorists destroying their gun trucks.

“Exploitation is still ongoing by troops to take out fleeing remnants of the terrorists.”

Nwachukwu said the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya, had commended the troops for the operational exploit.

“He also charged them to sustain the current operational tempo to deny the criminals freedom of action,” he said.

The Eagle

Continue Reading

Trending