Connect with us

Sports

Osimhen’s €71.25m Move to Napoli One of 62 Transfer Deals under Investigations in Italy

Published

on

Victor Osimhen

Victor Osimhen’s €71.25million move from Ligue 1 club, LOSC Lille to Napoli in is believed to be one of the 62 transfer deals between 2019 and 2021 under investigations by Italian anti-graft authorities.

Italian newspapers, La Repubblica and Il Tempo, reported that the Federal Prosecutor was investigating the possibility of inflated valuations to help clubs balance their books.

At the time the Nigerian international joined Napoli, Orestes Karnezis, Claudio Manzi, Ciro Palmieri and Luigi Liguori went in opposite direction for a total few of €20.13million

READ ALSO:

Both Palmieri and Liguori have returned to Italy and are now playing for Nocerina and Afragolese in the Serie D, Italy’s fourth division.

Goal.com hinted that the Supervisory

Commission for Serie A clubs (COVISOC) has already informed the Italian FIGC of a possible capital flight gains by inflated valuations, highlighting , among others, Osimhen’s move from LOSC Lille to Napoli and Juventus’ exchange deal with Barcelona for Arthur Melo.

It is alleged that Juventus’ transfer activity is being scrutinised more than most, with Gazzetta dello Sport claiming 42 of the deals being looked into involve Serie A’s most successful team.

Juventus revealed last month that the Italian market regulator CONSOB is looking into revenue they received from player trading activity.

The authority obtained documentation “concerning revenue stemming from player trading activity,” without providing further details.

Juventus declined to comment when approached by Reuters for their views on the latest investigation.

Thisdaylive

Sports

Ronaldo hits back at ‘lies’ about Ballon d’Or rivalry with Messi

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has hit back at comments made by Ballon d’Or organiser Pascal Ferre, saying the editor-in-chief of France Football “lied” about his rivalry with Lionel Messi.

Ferre told the New York Times on Friday that Manchester United forward Ronaldo’s sole ambition was to retire with more of the awards for the world’s best player than Messi.

Argentine Messi beat Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski and Chelsea midfielder Jorginho to claim a record-extending seventh Ballon d’Or award.

READ ALSO:

“Pascal Ferre lied, he used my name to promote himself and to promote the publication he works for,” Ronaldo, who has won the award five times, said in an Instagram post on Monday.

“It is unacceptable that the person responsible for awarding such a prestigious prize could lie in this way, in absolute disrespect for someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d’Or.”

“I always win for myself and for the clubs I represent, I win for myself and for those who love me. I don’t win against someone,” added the Portugal forward.

“The biggest ambition of my career is to leave my name written in golden letters in the history of world football.”

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Ronaldo criticises France Football editor over Messi Ballon d’Or claims

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has hit back at the editor of France Football who claimed the Manchester United forward’s only ambition is to “retire with more Ballons d’Or than Lionel Messi”.

The Portuguese, who has won the prestigious accolade five times, took to social media on Monday to refute the claims made by Pascal Ferré, who spoke to the New York Times ahead of the 2021 awards.

Messi won the men’s award for a record seventh time at the ceremony in Paris on Monday.

Ferré told the New York Times: “Ronaldo has only one ambition and that is to retire with more Ballon d’Or [awards] than Messi. I know because he has told me.”

However, Ronaldo has disputed that version of events and took to Instagram to claim that Ferré “lied” during the interview.

“Today’s outcome explains the comments by Pascal Ferré last week, when he stated that I confided in him that my only ambition was to finish my career with more Ballons d’Or than Lionel Messi,” a Ronaldo statement said.

“Pascal Ferré lied and used my name to promote himself and to promote the publication that he works for. It’s unacceptable for the person responsible for handing out such a prestigious award to lie in this way and to show disrespect to someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d’Or. He lied again today to justify my absence from the ceremony due to an alleged quarantine that has no reason to exist.

“I always congratulate whoever wins, in tandem with the sportsmanship and fair play that have underpinned my career since the start and I do that because I’m never against anyone. I always win for myself and for the clubs that I represent. I win for myself and for those who love me. I don’t win against anyone.”

Ronaldo added: “My biggest ambition in my career is to win trophies at club and international level, for the clubs that I play for and my national team. My biggest ambition in my career is to set a good example for everyone who is or wants to be a professional footballer. My biggest ambition in my career is to have my name written in gold in world football history.

“I’ll finish up by saying that my focus is already on Manchester United’s next game and everything that we can still achieve this season alongside my teammates and our fans. As for the rest, the rest is just that…”

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Messi wins record seventh Ballon d’Or

Published

on

Lionel Messi has claimed a record seventh men’s Ballon d’Or award, beating Robert Lewandowski.

The award ceremony was held at the Théâtre du Chatelet in Paris, France on Monday evening.

The Paris Saint-Germain forward ended his long wait for a major international trophy when he helped Argentina win the Copa America in the summer.

He also guided Barcelona to Copa del Rey glory before moving to the French capital in August.

Lewandowski, however, won the maiden ‘Striker of the Year’ award – one of the two new awards introduced by France Football in 2021.

In the women’s category, Alexia Putellas, Barcelona’s midfielder, clinched the Ballon d’Or to become the third woman to achieve the feat.

The 27-year-old captained her club to the Champions League title last season, ending Lyon’s five-year reign.

She was recently named ‘UEFA Player of the Year’ and also lifted the Spanish league and cup last season, completing the treble.

Pedri claimed the Kopa Trophy, the award for best performing player under the age of 21.

The 19-year-old Spaniard, who recently won the ‘Golden Boy’ prize, also came 24th in this year’s Ballon d’Or.

 

Gianluigi Donnarumma beat Edouard Mendy, Jan Oblak, Ederson, and Manuel Neuer respectively to clinch the Yashin Trophy, which is the award for best goalkeeper.

The Italian claimed the prize after finishing 10th in the Ballon d’Or.

 

Aside from the regular categories of the men and women’s Ballon d’Or, Kopa Trophy, and Yashin Trophy, France Football also introduced the ‘Best Club’ and ‘Best Striker of the Year’ in the 2021 class.

 

The 2021 Balloon d’Or is the 65th annual award ceremony organised to recognise the best footballers in the world.

Continue Reading

Trending