Connect with us

metro

EndSARS: Real reason Buhari govt is discrediting panel report – Law Mefor

Published

on

Dr. Law Mefor

Dr. Law Mefor, Director, Igbo Leadership Development Foundation School, has revealed the reason behind the Federal Government’s position on the recently released panel report on the Lekki Toll Gate shooting.

Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information and Culture, had on Tuesday insisted that nobody was killed by soldiers at the Lekki tollgate when soldiers of the Nigerian Army allegedly opened fire on innocent protesters on October 20, 2020.

This was after the Panel of Investigation set up by the Lagos State Government to unravel the incident at the Lekki tollgate and other parts of the state indicted the military, the police and many others.

READ ALSO:

A top army officer, Maj. Gen. Taiwo, had told the panel that the order came from the then Chief of Army Staff, Lit.Gen. Tukur Buratai, who in turn got instructions from the President.

And Mr. Law Mefor, in an exclusive interview with DAILY POST, said the government had no choice but to deny the incident because the international community was now interested in it and someone could be tried at the International Criminal Court.

READ ALSO:

“The rejection of the EndSARS report by the Federal Government should not surprise anybody. Lai Mohammed described the report as ‘tale by moonlight’, declaring that nothing would make the federal government accept that there was a massacre at Lekki Gate,” he said.

“It means the government is not actually after the truth. Recall that the same Lai Mohammed earlier said that nobody died at Lekki long before the panel began their sitting.

“They also denied that soldiers were drafted to Lekki during the protest. They said the soldiers went with rubber bullets when the overwhelming video evidence showed they were lying and they had accepted the drafting of soldiers.

“Then, we heard the President say the EndSARS protest was meant to oust him from power.

“You can see what led to the drafting of soldiers to quell the peaceful protest since the thinking was that the protesters were coupists.

“The international community is now interested and the government wants to discredit the report at all costs. The reason is simple: you cannot use soldiers to quell peaceful protests and kill your own unarmed citizens in the process.

“It can lead to prosecution of somebody at the Intl Criminal Court, ICC. That’s what the shenanigans of Lai Mohammed is all about.

“But somebody should ask Lai Mohammed and Governor Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state: are soldiers supposed to be drafted to Lekki Gate to quell a peaceful protest even if the citizens waving the Nigerian flag and singing the national anthem were not killed?

“How do they sleep after killing their own defenceless people? I shudder about Nigerian citizens. Our life is now worth nothing,” he said.

Daily Post

metro

Joseph Wayas, former senate president, is dead

Published

on

Joseph Wayas, a former president of the senate in the Second Republic

Joseph Wayas, a former president of the senate in the Second Republic, has died at the age of 80.

According to Christian Ita, special adviser to the Cross River governor on media and publicity, Wayas died in the early hours of Tuesday in a London hospital.

Ben Ayade, Cross River governor, was quoted as saying Wayas’ death is a “monumental loss” to the state and Nigeria.

The governor said Wayas left “indelible footprints on the sands of time”.

READ ALSO:

“As a state, Cross River is in pains as we mourn the passing of our illustrious son. He was a rare gem. Dr Wayas’ demise is indeed a monumental loss to our dear state and Nigeria,” Ayade was quoted as saying.

“As Senate President, Dr Wayas contributed to the deepening of Nigeria’s democratic ethos through his robust and vibrant leadership of the upper legislative chamber.

“And since his retirement from active politics, the former Senate President had been playing a fatherly and stabilising role in the politics and affairs of our state.”

The governor condoled with the family of Wayas and said his death is a “collective loss and the pains a shared one”.

“We are with you in this moment of grief. We have you in our hearts and prayers,” he said.

Wayas, born May 21, 1941, served as Nigeria’s senate president between 1979 and 1983.

The Cable

Continue Reading

metro

BREAKING: Tight Security as hoodlums set Senator Barau’s Kano office on fire

Published

on

Senator Barau Jibrin

Security has been beefed up in Kano following an arson attack on the campaign office of Senator Barau Jibrin, a 2023 gubernatorial aspirant in Kano.

Jibrin is one of the key member of the Kano APC G-7 led by Senator Ibrahim Shekarau.

The G-7 got a major victory on Tuesday when an FCT High Court recognised executives elected at their ward congress but dissolved those elected by the Governor Abdullahi Ganduje faction.

Hoodlums in their hundreds were said to have attacked the campaign office located on Maiduguri Road in the late hours of Wednesday.

READ ALSO:

The affected building is owned by a former Minister of Labour and Productivity, Alhaji Musa Gwadabe.

The factional APC state secretariat is heavily guarded by the police.

When contacted to react about the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer, Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, said they are currently in a meeting over the issue.

But the Commissioner of Police Ismaila Dikko, was quoted to have said already his men have taken over the place.

“We are already in control of the situation, and my Men have fully taken over the place we investigating what happens,” he reportedly said.

The development happened hours after one of the lawyers who represented Shekarau’s faction was locked up in his Kano chamber.

, Jibrin, currently represents Kano North at the senate.

Daily Trust

Continue Reading

metro

Heavy casualty as troops pound Boko Haram, ISWAP in Buni Yadi

Published

on

The Nigerian Army says the troops of of Sector 2 Operation Hadin Kai have again inflicted heavy casualty on Boko Haram and Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists in a fierce battle at Buni Yadi in Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, said this in a statement on Wednesday.

He said the feat was achieved on Tuesday.

Nwachukwu said the terrorists, who frantically attempted to gain access into Buni Yadi, met stiff resistance from troops of 27 Task Force Brigade and Nigerian Army Special Forces School, supported by the Nigerian Air Force component.

READ ALSO:

He added that personnel of the Nigerian Police also supported the troops who gallantly fought and overwhelmed the terrorists with superior firepower.

According to him, the ferocious battle forced the criminals to withdraw in different directions having suffered heavy losses.

He said: “Several gun trucks with their occupants were taken out by the troops. Preliminary battle damage assessment revealed the precision with which Air and Land troops engaged the terrorists destroying their gun trucks.

“Exploitation is still ongoing by troops to take out fleeing remnants of the terrorists.”

Nwachukwu said the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya, had commended the troops for the operational exploit.

“He also charged them to sustain the current operational tempo to deny the criminals freedom of action,” he said.

The Eagle

Continue Reading

Trending