Connect with us

metro

El-Rufai: Cameroon shut down its refinery because of cheap fuel from Nigeria

Published

on

Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State has said the current fuel subsidy regime is not beneficial to Nigerians.

According to the governor, the monthly subsidy payments which cost the country over N250 billion is only to the benefit of neighbouring countries

El-Rufai also said one of Nigeria’s neighbouring countries, Cameroon shutdown its refinery because of the cheap fuel they are getting from Nigeria.

The governor spoke at the launch of the World Bank Nigeria Development Update (NDU).

“The fuel that matters to Nigerian is kerosene, it has been deregulated and the world has not collapsed. The fuel that is important to industry and transporters is diesel and it has been deregulated — nothing has happened,” el-Rufai said.

READ ALSO:

“So this hullabaloo about petrol is just something we must as a country have a conversation and agreed that it has to end, we can not continue to provide petroleum gasoline to our neighbouring country, which is what we are doing.”

According to the governor, the major beneficiaries of fuel subsidy in Nigeria are smugglers, neighbouring Africa countries, and some rich people in Nigeria.

“This month, the NNPC brought only N14 billion to the federation account. In the budget, they are meant to bring in N120 billion monthly, but they brought 14 billion with the threat that they will ask the federation account to give them a cheque to cover subsidy.”

“Who is befitting for the subsidising other than the smugglers, neighbouring Africa countries, and some rich people?”

“We should stop politicising these things that will bring Nigeria to its knees”

On the move to replace fuel subsidy with a N5,000 transport grant for 40 million Nigerians, the governor said it’s a welcome development as the state governors are in full support.

“The Nigerian Governor Forum has met and agreed to support the federal government, withdraw this subsidy by February, and use the N250 billion per month that would have been lost between February and May to do these conditional cash transfers that would put money in the pocket of Nigerians,” he said.

“To ameliorate not only cost of transportation but also the 2 to 3 percent jump in inflation that is expected when the subsidy is removed.”

Daily Trust

metro

Joseph Wayas, former senate president, is dead

Published

on

Joseph Wayas, a former president of the senate in the Second Republic

Joseph Wayas, a former president of the senate in the Second Republic, has died at the age of 80.

According to Christian Ita, special adviser to the Cross River governor on media and publicity, Wayas died in the early hours of Tuesday in a London hospital.

Ben Ayade, Cross River governor, was quoted as saying Wayas’ death is a “monumental loss” to the state and Nigeria.

The governor said Wayas left “indelible footprints on the sands of time”.

READ ALSO:

“As a state, Cross River is in pains as we mourn the passing of our illustrious son. He was a rare gem. Dr Wayas’ demise is indeed a monumental loss to our dear state and Nigeria,” Ayade was quoted as saying.

“As Senate President, Dr Wayas contributed to the deepening of Nigeria’s democratic ethos through his robust and vibrant leadership of the upper legislative chamber.

“And since his retirement from active politics, the former Senate President had been playing a fatherly and stabilising role in the politics and affairs of our state.”

The governor condoled with the family of Wayas and said his death is a “collective loss and the pains a shared one”.

“We are with you in this moment of grief. We have you in our hearts and prayers,” he said.

Wayas, born May 21, 1941, served as Nigeria’s senate president between 1979 and 1983.

The Cable

Continue Reading

metro

BREAKING: Tight Security as hoodlums set Senator Barau’s Kano office on fire

Published

on

Senator Barau Jibrin

Security has been beefed up in Kano following an arson attack on the campaign office of Senator Barau Jibrin, a 2023 gubernatorial aspirant in Kano.

Jibrin is one of the key member of the Kano APC G-7 led by Senator Ibrahim Shekarau.

The G-7 got a major victory on Tuesday when an FCT High Court recognised executives elected at their ward congress but dissolved those elected by the Governor Abdullahi Ganduje faction.

Hoodlums in their hundreds were said to have attacked the campaign office located on Maiduguri Road in the late hours of Wednesday.

READ ALSO:

The affected building is owned by a former Minister of Labour and Productivity, Alhaji Musa Gwadabe.

The factional APC state secretariat is heavily guarded by the police.

When contacted to react about the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer, Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, said they are currently in a meeting over the issue.

But the Commissioner of Police Ismaila Dikko, was quoted to have said already his men have taken over the place.

“We are already in control of the situation, and my Men have fully taken over the place we investigating what happens,” he reportedly said.

The development happened hours after one of the lawyers who represented Shekarau’s faction was locked up in his Kano chamber.

, Jibrin, currently represents Kano North at the senate.

Daily Trust

Continue Reading

metro

Heavy casualty as troops pound Boko Haram, ISWAP in Buni Yadi

Published

on

The Nigerian Army says the troops of of Sector 2 Operation Hadin Kai have again inflicted heavy casualty on Boko Haram and Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists in a fierce battle at Buni Yadi in Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, said this in a statement on Wednesday.

He said the feat was achieved on Tuesday.

Nwachukwu said the terrorists, who frantically attempted to gain access into Buni Yadi, met stiff resistance from troops of 27 Task Force Brigade and Nigerian Army Special Forces School, supported by the Nigerian Air Force component.

READ ALSO:

He added that personnel of the Nigerian Police also supported the troops who gallantly fought and overwhelmed the terrorists with superior firepower.

According to him, the ferocious battle forced the criminals to withdraw in different directions having suffered heavy losses.

He said: “Several gun trucks with their occupants were taken out by the troops. Preliminary battle damage assessment revealed the precision with which Air and Land troops engaged the terrorists destroying their gun trucks.

“Exploitation is still ongoing by troops to take out fleeing remnants of the terrorists.”

Nwachukwu said the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya, had commended the troops for the operational exploit.

“He also charged them to sustain the current operational tempo to deny the criminals freedom of action,” he said.

The Eagle

Continue Reading

Trending