“Many are mad and many are roaming on social media.”
One of the Ministers eyeing the seat of President Muhammadu Buhari has resigned.
His resignation was announced during the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting of Wednesday.
Emeka Nwajuiba, Minister of State for Education, quit the cabinet to focus on his presidential ambition.
He is among the six ministers who have obtained the N100 million presidential forms of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead of the primaries slated for the end of this month.
Others are Ministers of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi; Niger Delta, Godswill Akpabio; Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige; Science and Technology, Ogbonnaya Onu, and Minister of State, Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva.
Buhari has given all those interested in the 2023 contest a deadline of Monday to leave his government.
In the heat of the pressure mounted on Nwaijuba to step down last month, the minister had said he would carry on with his duties.
Critics had accused him of trivialising the strike of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) by joining the presidential race.
But while addressing his supporters, the minister said he would only resign 30 days to presidential election as stipulated by the Constitution.
“The resignation of a minister or anybody who is in office is guided by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We are required to contest election if we want. We are required to resign 30 days before any election we choose to contest. That is the position of the law. Every other person can have an opinion.”
“My position is that the law of the country rests on the grund norm called Constitution. If you do not like the Constitution, your work is to amend it There is no subrogation of power that is required for you to include into a law what is not in that law.”
Political thugs allegedly working for the Rivers state governor, Mr Nyesom Wike have invaded the residence of former Rivers South-East Senator, Lee Maeba.
The house located at GRA, Phase 3 axis in Port Harcourt, Rivers State was invaded by thugs on Thursday morning.
Maeba is the chairman of the PDP Presidential Campaign Council in the state.
A source said the hoodlums, allegedly loyal to Governor Wike, destroyed many cars, including an SUV, while occupants of the house including Senator Maeba’s relations fled the scene.
It was learnt that the hoodlums also shot indiscriminately and injured some occupants of the building during the attack.
“About 200 hoodlums loyal to Governor Wike attacked the residence of Senator Lee Maeba this morning. They destroyed vehicles and injured some occupants,” the source said.
Since Governor Wike lost the presidential ticket of the party to the former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, the party has been factionalised.
This followed allegations made by the governor that the National Chairman of the PDP, Senator Iyorchia Ayu manipulated the process to favour Atiku, a fellow northerner.
He subsequently asked Ayu to resign from office but the national chairman has refused to do so amid the attendant crisis in the party ahead of the 2023 general elections.
The Wike-led Rivers government earlier revoked the ownership of a landed property belonging to Maeba in Port Harcourt.
When contacted, DSP Grace Woyengikuro Iringe-Koko, spokesperson for the state police command said she wasn’t aware of the incident.
Nollywood actress, Mercy Johnson-Okojie, caused a stir on the Internet when she openly declared her support for the All Progressives Congress and its candidates in the 2023 elections.
The actress had on Wednesday shared pictures of herself with the governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, announcing her membership as part of the APC women presidential campaign team.
Her husband, Odi Okojie, is also an APC candidate for the Esan North East/ South East federal constituency in Edo State.
Sharing the photos from the campaign, the actress wrote, “Earlier today, I joined His Excellency, Babajide Sanwo-Olu and the incredible women leaders that make up the APC ‘Women Presidential Campaign Team’ at the APC women Southwest Rally.
“As a woman, wife to an APC candidate @princeodiokojie and mother, I am confident in the APC plan for women which is in line with the 35% affirmative action for women.
“From the goodwill messages and conversations with the women leaders, I was opportuned to hear from the horse’s mouth and I have renewed hope and confidence in the good intentions, great plans and actions to follow for the women of Nigeria and for the people of Nigeria.”
Her post, however, did not go down well with many fans who took to Twitter to condemn the actress’ decision, making ‘Mercy Johnson’ one of the trending topics on Thursday.
A tweep, @odyloveth, said, “End Sars – Mercy Johnson will not talk. Flood in her state that half of her community people were dying, she was mute. Police brutality, she will not talk.
“Today Mercy Johnson is telling us that APC have plans for us in 2023. I blame those rating these celebrities.”
Advising the actress to focus only on her husband, @eseohe_k tweeted, “No one is saying Mercy Johnson shouldn’t support her husband’s political career. She should not just try to sell APC to us. Campaign for your husband alone. Talking about ‘as a woman, I’m confident in the APC plan for women’.”
However, some fans stated that the actress was free to support whoever she wanted to, as they justified her actions.
@isaacafrica_ said, “While I’m for Peter Obi, I wouldn’t expect Mercy Johnson to support a party other than her husband’s. It’s one of the reasons her marriage works.
“This isn’t about party affiliation. It’s about who’s working in the best interest of Nigerians. Why can’t she be light within APC?”
Another tweep, @mrlurvy, said, “Mercy Johnson’s husband is flying the flag of the APC in his constituency. But you expect Mercy to support another party right? So that she can get retweets and likes?
“Many are mad and many are roaming on social media.”
All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has said he is ready to debate from morning till night.
Tinubu has been heavily criticised for staying away from interactive sessions attended by other presidential candidates.
His absence at ARISE Townhall on Sunday had created a stir as his critics said Tinubu might have stayed away because he could not withstand the rigor.
The main opposition, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had accused him of avoiding debates because he has nothing to tell Nigerians.
But addressing some young Nigerians in London, Tinubu said debate was not an issue.
“I am ready to debate with you from morning till night… and I’m speaking in London, not in Jigawa. It is great that you are alive to tell the story just giving the assurance never to give up… Broadband creation, energy that you talked about.. if they’ve taken our advice.. in the beginning of democracy in 1999, we brought in investment. My Deputy then is here.. and then so many other innovative things….,” he said.
Fielding a question from the audience at Chatham House in London on Monday, on why he snubbed debates, Tinubu said, “I see myself as a marketable individual. You want to use me to make money and I’m saying no.”
Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, abduct Imam, 11 worshippers injured
Tinubu: Private sector should drive economy; speaks on power, insecurity, electoral violence, his identity
Why Oyetola, others took away official vehicles – Osun APC
I may accept if Ooni proposes marriage — Peju Johnson
Old N200, N500, N1,000 notes will be in use till Jan 31- CBN
Manifesto: Keyamo accuses Peter Obi of plagiarism, identity theft
300-level university student commits suicide over alleged inability to cope with studies
Actor Olaiya Igwe prays for Tinubu stark naked + Video, photo