Politics

2027: Wike explains why he won’t join Tinubu’s campaign council

2027: Wike explains why he won’t join Tinubu’s campaign council

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has explained why he will not seek a prominent position in President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s 2027 presidential campaign, saying his priority is to deliver tangible results rather than pursue campaign titles.

Wike said he would have declined the position of Director-General of the APC Presidential Campaign Council if it had been offered to him, stressing that he is not a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The former Rivers State governor spoke on Saturday while inspecting ongoing FCT infrastructure projects, including the Apo-Karshi Road and Bwari-Kubwa Road.

His comments came shortly after the Presidency announced the composition of the APC Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election, with former Zamfara State Governor, Senator Abdulaziz Yari, named as Director-General and Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, appointed secretary.

President Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima are expected to serve as chairman and vice chairman of the campaign council respectively.

Wike said occupying a senior position in a presidential campaign should not be regarded as proof of political influence or electoral success.

According to him, what matters is whether campaign leaders can mobilise voters and deliver their respective states to their presidential candidates on election day.

“I am not a member of the APC. So the issue of their Presidential Campaign Council is out of the question,” Wike said.

He cited the experiences of former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, former Senate President Bukola Saraki, former Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal and former Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong to support his argument.

Wike recalled that Amaechi served as Director-General of Muhammadu Buhari’s 2015 presidential campaign while he was Rivers State governor, but Buhari lost Rivers State.

He also referred to the 2019 election, when Amaechi again played a prominent role in Buhari’s campaign, arguing that Rivers State still did not deliver the expected result.

Wike said Saraki, who led Atiku Abubakar’s 2019 presidential campaign, also lost Kwara State, while Tambuwal, who served as Atiku’s campaign DG in 2023, lost Sokoto State.

READ ALSO:

He further cited Lalong, who headed Tinubu’s 2023 campaign, as another example of a campaign leader whose home state did not produce the desired result for the presidential candidate.

“I don’t want to lose my state. I will be in my state. I have two states, FCT and Rivers State. What’s important is, are you able to deliver those two states?” Wike said.

The FCT minister maintained that his support for Tinubu’s 2027 re-election bid does not require him to hold an official position in the APC campaign structure.

He recalled that he and other politicians who supported Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election were not members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council.

Wike also referred to the political alliance known as the Rainbow Coalition, which brings together politicians from different political backgrounds who support Tinubu while retaining their membership of their respective parties.

He said the coalition was already active in states including Rivers, Kwara, Bayelsa, Osun and Benue.

Rather than focusing on campaign titles, Wike said his priority was to use his position as FCT minister to complete major infrastructure projects and demonstrate the impact of government policies.

“Campaign is what have you done for the people? What has the government got to show? It’s not about promises. It’s about showing action,” he said.

Wike disclosed that the FCT Administration was targeting the completion of more than 10 major projects before the 2027 elections, adding that the number could increase depending on the pace of work.

During the inspection, he expressed confidence that the Apo-Karshi Road project would be completed within the timeline given by the contractor.

The road project, which has been in development for several years, is expected to improve connectivity between communities along the Apo-Karshi corridor and ease movement in the Federal Capital Territory.

Wike also inspected the Bwari-Kubwa Road, another major FCT project, and said the contractor had assured the administration that the road would be completed and handed over by December.

The minister said the administration would also publish details of projects inherited from previous governments alongside those awarded under the current administration.

According to Wike, the publication would cover projects inherited from administrations dating back to Olusegun Obasanjo, as well as those of Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari.

He said Nigerians would then be able to compare inherited projects with those initiated and completed by the current FCT Administration.

Beyond infrastructure, Wike announced tougher enforcement of regulations governing commercial transportation in Abuja.

He warned taxi drivers and other commercial operators against picking up passengers outside designated bus terminals, saying vehicles used in violation of the rules could be impounded.

The minister also disclosed that the FCT Administration had begun reclaiming green areas and public spaces allegedly converted to car dealerships and other commercial activities.

Wike said a task force had been established to recover the affected areas, alleging that some allocation documents had been issued for spaces originally designated as parks and green areas.

He warned operators occupying such spaces to vacate them or face enforcement action, including possible seizure of vehicles.

Wike clarified that approvals for buildings and other developments in the FCT are handled by relevant departments and agencies of the administration rather than personally by the minister.

He said affected operators would be given time to comply before enforcement measures are implemented.

Wike’s position means he is set to remain outside the formal APC 2027 campaign council despite his continued support for Tinubu’s re-election bid.

His comments also reinforce his stated strategy of concentrating on delivering electoral support in Rivers State and the FCT, rather than seeking a formal campaign position.

For Wike, political success should ultimately be judged by electoral results, completed projects and measurable impact on citizens, rather than by the title or position held within a presidential campaign organisation.

2027: Wike explains why he won’t join Tinubu’s campaign council

Trends Admin

Recent Posts

Messi Fined for Slapping Opponent in Heated Philadelphia Draw

Messi Fined for Slapping Opponent in Heated Philadelphia Draw The Inter Miami star was sanctioned…

10 minutes ago

Umahi’s Son, 28, Wins Ebonyi LG Chairmanship, Vows to Reject Salary

Umahi's Son, 28, Wins Ebonyi LG Chairmanship, Vows to Reject Salary Osborn Nweze Umahi, the…

1 hour ago

Opposition Unity Cracks as Atiku, Obi, Kwankwaso Diverge on 2027 Strategy Against Tinubu

Opposition Unity Cracks as Atiku, Obi, Kwankwaso Diverge on 2027 Strategy Against Tinubu The G-100's…

1 hour ago

Atiku to FBI: Don’t Shield Tinubu With Secrecy – Nigerians Are Already Paying With Their Lives

Atiku to FBI: Don't Shield Tinubu With Secrecy – Nigerians Are Already Paying With Their…

1 hour ago

2027: Alfindiki tackles Atiku over Tinubu’s FBI records

2027: Alfindiki tackles Atiku over Tinubu’s FBI records Former Chairman of Kano Municipal Local Government,…

2 hours ago

Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods

Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods The Lagos State…

2 hours ago